Eric Lasagna

Box Office Theory Forum's Top 100 Warner Bros. Movies

Yep. All the honorable mentions have now been revealed. Now you know what just barely missed and can complain to me over something out of my control. :lol: 

And you now have a better understanding of what could be the top 41. Feel free to make predictions I guess?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

#115 - Michael Clayton (383 points, 8 lists)

george-clooney-youre-so-fucked.gif

Many of us to the people who did not get this into the 100

#113 - Ocean's Twelve (386 points, 10 lists)

oceans-twelve-hagenth.gif

Us when we see each post by Eric

Dune

876 points, 15 lists

"Dreams make good stories, but everything important happens when we're awake."

MV5BN2FjNmEyNWMtYzM0ZS00NjIyLTg5YzYtYThl

Box Office: 402M

Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 6 Academy Awards and 4 nominations, 5 BAFTA Awards and 6 nominations, 3 Critics Choice Awards and 7 nominations, 1 Grammy Award, 1 Golden Globe Award and 2 nominations

Its Legacy: Introduced millions of viewers to the original Frank Herbert novels. Denis Villenueve's highest-grossing film. One of only two 2021 films from WB to make 100M+ domestically. Considered one of the greatest sci-fi films of the 21st century. Boosted Timothee Chalamet's metoric rise as one of the most amazing, most beautiful, most incredible, most wonderful young stars working today. Gave Jason Momoa a paycheck.

Commentary: At once considered an unfilmable novel, the icon Denis Villeneueve and the beloved and wonderful and sexy and amazing and lovely Timothee Chalamet said “bet”. And boy oh boy, did they pull off something amazing. Especially Timothee, my love. What a dreamboat.

This took the first half of the original novel and managed to take a complex story of politics, deception, global trade, conquest, and sandworms into an effective sci-fi adventure. One that does feature plenty of action, but much of the epic scope and scale comes from just simply showcasing the massive deserts of Arrakis, the large spaceships, and the gravitas all the actors give to their characters. This fantastic ensemble offers incredible delivery through their entrancing charismas and personalities and captures the political drama and intrigue to a tee without ever feeling drab or convoluted. And of course you have Timothee. My sweet, beautiful, wonderfully beloved Timothee.

Add on stunning imagery from DP Grieg Frasier and a captivating cliffhanger, we got ourselves a true blockbuster epic. One that people here clearly adored and will hopefully continue to adore once Part Two finally hits theaters this November...hopefully...Zaslav, you better not fuck this up for me.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Dune

876 points, 15 lists

"Dreams make good stories, but everything important happens when we're awake."

MV5BN2FjNmEyNWMtYzM0ZS00NjIyLTg5YzYtYThl

Box Office: 402M

Rotten Tomatoes: 83%

Metacritic: 74

Awards: 6 Academy Awards and 4 nominations, 5 BAFTA Awards and 6 nominations, 3 Critics Choice Awards and 7 nominations, 1 Grammy Award, 1 Golden Globe Award and 2 nominations

Its Legacy: Introduced millions of viewers to the original Frank Herbert novels. Denis Villenueve's highest-grossing film. One of only two 2021 films from WB to make 100M+ domestically. Considered one of the greatest sci-fi films of the 21st century. Boosted Timothee Chalamet's metoric rise as one of the most amazing, most beautiful, most incredible, most wonderful young stars working today. Gave Jason Momoa a paycheck.

Commentary: At once considered an unfilmable novel, the icon Denis Villeneueve and the beloved and wonderful and sexy and amazing and lovely Timothee Chalamet said “bet”. And boy oh boy, did they pull off something amazing. Especially Timothee, my love. What a dreamboat.

This took the first half of the original novel and managed to take a complex story of politics, deception, global trade, conquest, and sandworms into an effective sci-fi adventure. One that does feature plenty of action, but much of the epic scope and scale comes from just simply showcasing the massive deserts of Arrakis, the large spaceships, and the gravitas all the actors give to their characters. This fantastic ensemble offers incredible delivery through their entrancing charismas and personalities and captures the political drama and intrigue to a tee without ever feeling drab or convoluted. And of course you have Timothee. My sweet, beautiful, wonderfully beloved Timothee.

Add on stunning imagery from DP Grieg Frasier and a captivating cliffhanger, we got ourselves a true blockbuster epic. One that people here clearly adored and will hopefully continue to adore once Part Two finally hits theaters this November...hopefully...Zaslav, you better not fuck this up for me.

Lmfao

• Like 2

Edge of Tomorrow

888 points, 20 lists

"Come find me when you wake up!"

MV5BMTc5OTk4MTM3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODcx

Box Office: 370.5M

Rotten Tomatoes: 91%

Metacritic: 71

Awards: 1 Annie Award, 1 Critics Choice Award and 3 nominations, 1 Empire Award nomination, 1 Hugo Award nomination, 1 Saturn Award and 6 nominations

Its Legacy: Has more than one title. A legit sleeper hit that grew its following over time. One of Emily Blunt's highest-grossing films. Rumored to get a sequel or TV series follow-up. Gave Brendan Gleeson a paycheck.

Commentary: Have you ever found yourself watching Groundhog Day and thinking to yourself, “I wish they made an action movie out of this”? Well Tom Cruise and Doug Liman got your back. This epic sci-fi feature wasn’t a big hit at the time, but its time loop premise and epic sci-fi action meant it was bound to have an audience. The film takes advantage of its premise to deliver a fun story that still has plenty of great twists and turns and two great lead performances between Cruise and Emily Blunt.

Rumors of a follow-up, whether it be a sequel or a TV show spin-off, have been around for ages, yet that epic classic, a fun, fast-paced feature that pays tribute to both anime and video games, will always have a place in our hearts.

Have you ever found yourself watching Groundhog Day and thinking to yourself, “I wish they made an action movie out of this”? Well Tom Cruise and Doug Liman got your back. This epic sci-fi feature...

• Like 9
  • Heart 1
  • Astonished 1

Batman Returns

905 points, 16 lists

"I am Catwoman. Hear me roar."

MV5BOGZmYzVkMmItM2NiOS00MDI3LWI4ZWQtMTg0

Box Office: 266.8M

Rotten Tomatoes: 81%

Metacritic: 68

Awards: 2 Academy Award nominations, 2 BAFTA Award nominations, 1 Saturn Award and 4 nominations, 1 MTV Movie Award nomination, 1 Hugo Award nomination, 1 Golden Raspberry Award nomination

Its Legacy: Considered an early example of the "anti-blockbuster". Tim Burton's final Batman production. Made parent groups and McDonald's very angry. Spawned the Joel Schumacher series of films. Has a massive fan following and strong critical re-evaluation decades after its release. Features the most iconic depictions of Penguin and Catwoman. Pfieffer's Catwoman performance is oft-considered one of the greatest CBM villains ever. Matt Reeves' and Robert Pattinson's favorite Batman movie. Would actually get followed up in Batman '21 and....The Flash. Gave Christopher Walken a paycheck.

Commentary: The most interesting aspect of Batman as a character and as a franchise, especially compared to every other superhero property, is that Batman and his rogues gallery are all a bunch of weirdos. Spider-Man is the relatable one, Superman is the aspirational one, Batman is the oddball. A crazed figure who uses his resources and skills in an effort to be a vigilante, fighting off people just as crazy as he is. People who have dealt with tragedy in some form and now are forced into the world of crime in order to find stability and sanity.

Batman Returns, Tim Burton’s final foray into Gotham City, tackles this concept best. And that’s why it’s the best Batman movie. Yes, I said that.

Michael Keaton works well as Bruce Wayne, the loner who is just sane enough between all the baddies that we are obligated to root for him. You have Danny DeVito as The Penguin, an utterly repulsive but also depressingly tragic figure who was unloved by everybody and only wants respect and kindness. And of course, Michelle Pfieffer as Catwoman, a former meek and abused woman who finds confidence after utter tragedy and is only now figuring out how to handle her new personality and strengths.

It’s a film about loners and outsiders who all just want closure. A place where they can find some sort of happiness, a sense of self, somebody who loves them. And sadly, we don’t get that with anybody. A true Greek tragedy wrapped up in a gothic story full of grotesqueries, oddities, and powerful visuals and moments. It was too much for most back in 1992, with parent groups repulsed at a film that dared to feature Burton’s best attributes and qualities. But for many, this struck a chord. This was a movie that spoke to them in a way few blockbusters do. And frankly, as we continue to get more and more and more Batman movies for decades to come, all with their own personal stamp and identity, I think Batman Returns will be the one I always gravitate to. The creative peak of this entire enterprise.

• Like 8
  • Heart 2

3 hours ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake OffSeason 11 Sigh GIF by One ChicagoConfused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

3 minutes ago, Cap said:

Tbh, that was probably me. I left it off my list 🫣

Audrey Hepburn was great, but tbh, if Jack Warner wasn't such a pigheaded idiot and gave us Julie Andrews as Eliza, it'd be a whole other story.

(Although I did have problems with the Pygmalion backdrop, which granted will always be problematic. But in this, I feel like Higgins was never really confronted or combatted against with his misogyny and that his "growth" wasn't earned. When Eliza came back, it was a touch too gross for me. If anything, I think Pretty Woman handled it better, even if that one is also problematic)

45 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Audrey Hepburn was great, but tbh, if Jack Warner wasn't such a pigheaded idiot and gave us Julie Andrews as Eliza, it'd be a whole other story.

(Although I did have problems with the Pygmalion backdrop, which granted will always be problematic. But in this, I feel like Higgins was never really confronted or combatted against with his misogyny and that his "growth" wasn't earned. When Eliza came back, it was a touch too gross for me. If anything, I think Pretty Woman handled it better, even if that one is also problematic)

In George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion Eliza does not come back.  She asserts and gains independence and will not settle for less than full respect which Higgins can not give.   She is her own creation. She marries Freddy.  They open a flower shop with the Colonel's assistance.   GBS didn't want his creation to marry Higgins.    The movie versions and the musical hew too close to GBS's play until the very end which is why the ending really isn't supported in terms of Higgins characterization. 

Still, I really like the Leslie Howard/Wendy Hiller 1930s film and the musical is great fun with brilliant music and is gorgeous to look at.  

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Eric the Turtle said:

Yes, and the beast is its own dynamic away from Pygmalion, ultimately saying much less about class.

Interesting isn't it. Ultimately in the UK,  Academia as represented by Higgins was in some ways accepted as kind of SIDEWAYS from the class system rather than being itself inherently upper class (even though objectively that's what it was). To some British analysts, especially of the time, Higgins naturally comes across as the outsider in comparison to the Colonel and Freddy's upper class. Especially as his mother is a hummingbird socialite (and therefore coded as a regressive Neo-Rich rather than having 'proper' heritage). Of course to Americans and indeed the more contemporary eye in general Higgins reads more of the institutional elite than anyone else.

But my perception is if we still celebrate The Wizard of Oz which made some of the most regressive alterations to the source material and worst endings in movie history (the plot essentially ending up as "Woman dreams of a better life, gets knocked on the head, wakes up with that silly idea having been smacked out of her good and proper") then something as cheekily regressive as "Where are my slippers" has some charm within it at least. And I do think that it helps for that to have AH rather than JA - whose Eliza the world was robbed of but gave us Maria and Poppins in the process - for that slight submissive element.  Though one certainly hopes at the end the return is simply a cordial visitation and resumed friendship rather than anything more.

But some of those scenes are sumptuous, the performances electric, the sequences some of the best musical theatre adaptations made. Yes, the musical genre was already at its peak of popularity but it made sure the boom stayed around a few more years.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

-snip-

The fact she had Jeremy Brett eating out of her hand and just didn’t tap that. Giiiiirl. 

I will say the one scene in that movie, which always gets me, is when they come back from the party. And he’s taking credit for all of her successes. The way Audrey Hepburn just kind of like shrinks her body and tries to become one with the wall is so gut-wrenching. Such a good piece of business. Gets me every time. 

• Like 1

Also a small note with Mary Poppins having been brought up to take a moment to acknowledge the utter joyfulness it is that 4 of the main cast of Mary Poppins, the 1964 Best Picture Winner, are still alive and kicking in 2023!!!!

JA, DVD, Glynis Johns - the original Desiree Armfeldt -  still with us at 99, and Karen Dotrice. 

Of course tragically that was offset somewhat by the sad loss of Matthew Garber at just 21.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cap said:

The fact she had Jeremy Brett eating out of her hand and just didn’t tap that. Giiiiirl. 

I will say the one scene in that movie, which always gets me, is when they come back from the party. And he’s taking credit for all of her successes. The way Audrey Hepburn just kind of like shrinks her body and tries to become one with the wall is so gut-wrenching. Such a good piece of business. Gets me every time. 

Jeremy Brett is INCREDIBLE in My Fair Lady.

The role could so easily be a nothing romantic male lead. So easily. He fits so many dimensions and so much likability into that screentime. 

Always watch him like a hawk as he was my Drama School tutors long-term answer for GOAT alongside Alan Howard. And this was a guy who had acted alongside Olivier, Dench, Wanamaker, McKellen and every other 20th Century great you can name.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 2