kayumanggi

Weekday Numbers | Jul 17 - 20 | Wednesday | 4.74M M:I - DEAD RECKONING I | 4.72M SOUND OF FREEDOM

I think theater complexes and chains are a couple of years behind where audiences are with regard to what they want from a cinematic experience and some films are paying a price. Moviegoers want massive screens with 4K projection and exceptional Dolby quality (or better) sound along with comfy seating. Otherwise they will stay home and watch something on their 65 inch 4K TV on their couch.

It’s expensive to refurbish existing cinemas as floors will need to be lowered or roofs raised in order to accommodate the larger screen sizes. New cineplex construction seems to be limited now and mostly focused on serving food, which is something people wanted five years ago but not as much now. Sound upgrades are needed and cheaper to implement; but people want larger screens and better pictures, not vibrating seats. Theater owners are slow to learn this. Perhaps the studios can nudge them in that direction.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, baumer said:

In spite of their claims that they beat Indiana Jones on its first Tuesday I think it was, which we all know is bullshit, this is their first legitimate day at number one.

Nope, they had 2 legit days before MI opened on the Mon/Tues...this is the 4th #1 day in 3 different weeks, beating 3 different movies...that might be a record...(4 #1 days with no #1 weekend and beating 3 different movies - a convoluted record, but a record)..

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rainy said:

So do we think MI7 is still passing 600M WW? Apparent losing a lot of China screens this week too.

I don't see how. As i've said this drop from Fallout is comparable to MI3 drop from the second one. The scheduling didn't help, but i also think people are tired of Cruise doing the same action movie.

• Like 1

I wonder if Sound of Freedom is going to lead to more films marketed toward the American right, or if it'll be more similar to how we see Christian films break out every now and then but still don't see them in the mainstream.

12 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I think theater complexes and chains are a couple of years behind where audiences are with regard to what they want from a cinematic experience and some films are paying a price. Moviegoers want massive screens with 4K projection and exceptional Dolby quality (or better) sound along with comfy seating. Otherwise they will stay home and watch something on their 65 inch 4K TV on their couch.

It’s expensive to refurbish existing cinemas as floors will need to be lowered or roofs raised in order to accommodate the larger screen sizes. New cineplex construction seems to be limited now and mostly focused on serving food, which is something people wanted five years ago but not as much now. Sound upgrades are needed and cheaper to implement; but people want larger screens and better pictures, not vibrating seats. Theater owners are slow to learn this. Perhaps the studios can nudge them in that direction.

This is one of the biggest issues for me and my wife.  We currently have a 120 inch 2K projector for our living room TV and surround sound.  Where we live, there is only 1 IMAX screen and 1 RPX Screen.  We have gone to see multiple movies not on those screens and have come out telling ourselves it doesn't feel worth it.  As a couple without kids, we have time to go to the movies but find ourselves waiting more often now.  If it wasn't for my work union getting us cheap tickets, I don't know if we would go to the theaters.

22 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

James Cameron have been demanding theater to upgrade their cinema screen to 4k, whether if the hall is PLF or not but cinema is still slow to convert them.  

I still don't understand how rescuing children from sex trafficking is considered conservative or liberal or right or left or up or down or whatever. Maybe this marketing strategy is to go to churches and get people interested but it's not a religious film it's about child trafficking and I just think that kind of subject would be something that might peak everybody's interest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

I still don't understand how rescuing children from sex trafficking is considered conservative or liberal or right or left or up or down or whatever. Maybe this marketing strategy is to go to churches and get people interested but it's not a religious film it's about child trafficking and I just think that kind of subject would be something that might peak everybody's interest.

The issue itself is not left or right leaning. However the right has massively politicized it and has been falsely accusing people on the left of child trafficking in the US since at least the Pizzagate gaslighting in 2016. That has morphed into the current day controversy of the right accusing teachers, drag queens and LGBT people of grooming children which is nothing but pure bigotry and ignorance since north of 98% of all child abuse or trafficking or grooming situations in the US is from heterosexuals and quite commonly those with a religious connection. From what I have heard of the film, it excessively exaggerates the history/story of the main character. It also preys on ridiculous fears of kids being kidnapped to foreign countries given that far more trafficking occurs within or to the US than from the US outward.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1