Shawn Robbins

The Box Office Buzz, Tracking, and Pre-Sale Thread

14 minutes ago, AniNate said:

This isn't original though, which does seem to be a factor in the backlash

Less so than any backlash, I think the reason why this probably won't break out is because this is a film that's skewing much older than the average horror film. 

The horror breakouts of the past few years (Longlegs, Smile, The Black Phone, M3GAN, etc.) broke out because they striked a chord with the 18-34 demographic. That's a demo that you need to get in order to have a breakout horror film. 

If not, you end up with something like The First Omen. 

The actual, boring explanation is every movie has unique circumstances that contribute overall to their ultimate box office performance. No one really cared about Speak No Evil for awhile until the decently positive reviews all of a sudden made it a martyr.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2024 at 9:07 PM, filmpalace said:

Speak No Evil T-3

Tickets sold: 51 (+16)

Growth: 46%

Theatres: 2

Showtimes: 8

Better day than yesterday. I'm seeing the movie tomorrow, so my T-2 update will be a bit later. Review embargo also lifts tomorrow btw.

Speak No Evil T-2

Tickets sold: 72 (+21)

Growth: 41%

Theatres: 2

Showtimes: 8

Hoped for a better increase. Especially considering the positive reviews that came out today. A shame, really. I think the movie is quite good.

• Like 2

FLORIDA 

JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX 

Thursday 

T-23

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.3%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

N/A

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-23

(0.624x) of Beetlejuice $6.12M

(0.141x) of Deadpool x Wolverine $5.43M

(0.749x) of Dune 2 $6.96M

Comps AVG: $6.17M

ROOF BIG YIKES. Definitely not anywhere close to a $100M opener as things look right now. Not even sure if this is a $60M type of OW. Will almost certainly decrease from Joker 2019 OW

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 13

4 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

FLORIDA 

JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX 

Thursday 

T-23

SHOWINGS

SEATS SOLD

TOTAL SEATS

PERCENT SOLD

2.3%

*numbers taken as of 7:00PM EST

SEATS SOLD SINCE YESTERDAY

N/A

SHOWINGS ADDED SINCE YESTERDAY

COMPS

T-23

(0.624x) of Beetlejuice $6.12M

(0.141x) of Deadpool x Wolverine $5.43M

(0.749x) of Dune 2 $6.96M

Comps AVG: $6.17M

ROOF BIG YIKES. Definitely not anywhere close to a $100M opener as things look right now. Not even sure if this is a $60M type of OW. Will almost certainly decrease from Joker 2019 OW

You said you would give me your OW/DOM/WW prediction.

On 8/27/2024 at 2:21 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

Expecting very good start to presales for Joker, but nothing crazy, so there should be no panic in the first day(s) 

presales won’t matter as much unless they just suck 

Just want to revisit this. *They suck*

Nothing is set in stone, but yeah can't see a way to $100M, because that would need over $15M in previews. Not even seeing double digits right now. 

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Just want to revisit this. *They suck*

Nothing is set in stone, but yeah can't see a way to $100M, because that would need over $15M in previews. Not even seeing double digits right now. 

Bro I said $100M was locked and that $150M was where it was aiming :hahaha:

I swear to god whenever I predict something the complete fucking opposite happens. 

2 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

If a safe bet like Joker 2 is floundering then the fall/holiday season might be rough waters. Moana 2 is the only film that’s safe.

Disagree, that's like saying Furiosa or Fall Guy flopping means the rest of the Summer would flop. Obviously that's not what happened.

• Like 11

Just now, Bob Train said:

Disagree, that's like saying Furiosa or Fall Guy flopping means the rest of the Summer would flop. Obviously that's not what happened.

Despite the meltdowns over those films bombing, The Fall Guy was an overhyped action-comedy and Furiosa was an Charlize Theron-less prequel to a film that made 400M nearly a decade ago. They’re absolutely nothing like Joker.