Eric the Minion

The Zone of Interest | A24 | December 8, 2023 | Jonathan Glazer (Under the Skin) directs

Yep, saw it a couple weeks ago. A very unconventional film, so much so that I don’t know exactly how I’d classify it. But it’s certainly worthy of a watch, and the Oscar nom, imo. It’s disturbing in ways I’m still working through as well.

• Like 1

Yeh it’s the smaller moments too that are really frustrating and lingering. How could people live like that and just turn a blind eye when it’s always so present right over the wall? Sickening. 

I really appreciated them not showing anything too, I think that’s what’s making it linger so much, the imagination of those horrors just from the sounds. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Has anyone seen this? 

Only four posts for one of the nominated films.

I can’t stop thinking about it since seeing it last week. Really worth a watch. Those noises, urgh. So impactful. 

My favorite movie of the year. The ending is one of the most chilling and devastating conclusions I have ever seen.

• Like 1

If Nolan isn't here this year, I would say this is the best directed movie of the year. Looks cold and plotless, but meaningfully exploring its theme throughout. I especially like Huller's character, she successfully convince me she is mentally capable to stay next to the camp without feeling any remorse or guilt through her subtle display of sociopathy behaviour.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Has anyone seen this? 

Only four posts for one of the nominated films.

I can’t stop thinking about it since seeing it last week. Really worth a watch. Those noises, urgh. So impactful. 

Yeah saw it at a film festival...I think It's the best film I saw in 2023. But it's hard to recommend.

Really would recommend listening to the director talk about the movie, there's a lot of insights into how it was filmed, especially the choices he made (like not being on set).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If Nolan isn't here this year, I would say this is the best directed movie of the year. Looks cold and plotless, but meaningfully exploring its theme throughout. I especially like Huller's character, she successfully convince me she is mentally capable to stay next to the camp without feeling any remorse or guilt through her subtle display of sociopathy behaviour.  

Yes I agree, Huller’s character actually stays with me the most. Not a shred of remorse, a self centred nightmare. 

7 minutes ago, Derpity said:

Yeah saw it at a film festival...I think It's the best film I saw in 2023. But it's hard to recommend.

Really would recommend listening to the director talk about the movie, there's a lot of insights into how it was filmed, especially the choices he made (like not being on set).

I need to watch some bits with him. I haven’t read about this yet but I wondered if not having close ups of faces was deliberate. Everything is from some kind of distance, and I think it’s for us to project onto them. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yes I agree, Huller’s character actually stays with me the most. Not a shred of remorse, a self centred nightmare. 

And the movie has a scary disturbing music to close it off. A score that outscared me more than any other soundtrack in actual horror films. Too bad the score is left behind by the Oscar nomination, probably it played too late or too early in the movie (although this was an intentional and right creative choice)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

And the movie has a scary disturbing music to close it off. A score that outscared me more than any other soundtrack in actual horror films. Too bad the score is left behind by the Oscar nomination, probably it played too late or too early in the movie (although this was an intentional and right creative choice)

Yes it definitely didn’t even need a score. Surely has Sound Oscar in the bag though.