Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

1 minute ago, mikeymichael said:

What was TFA's admissions? And is there a list somewhere that displays accurate(ish) admissions totals for new movies? 

There are no accurate lists since the websites out there use a typical average ticket price. Modern movies after 2007ish such as TDK, Avatar, Jurassic World, Force Awakens, Avengers Endgame, Avatar 2, and so forth are boosted by PLF/IMAX that did not really exist before 2008. 

In the case of Force Awakens, we were fortunate enough to get some pretty detailed reports from Deadline & Hollywood Reporter about the very large dollar gross coming specifically from IMAX and other PLF screens. Some of the posters back then tracked this and came up with an estimate of around 90-95 million tickets sold. On the inflation-adjusted chart, Force Awakens is listed at 108 million tickets. Like I said, that 108 million number does not properly account for the PLF boost in the dollar gross. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Big shame on the Turtles side, though, since I'm pretty sure they're popular amidst our generation, and even the younger kids have the Nickelodeon show. I guess kids these days don't care anymore lol.

Eh, given that the kind of movie Um Filme do Caraças is, I'd hardly be surprised if it came close to Pôr do Sol numbers. Maybe not that high, but like 23-25k tickets. The leads are Herman José and Pedro Alves aka Zeca Estacionâncio/Bino from Festa é Festa, after all. Alves literally had the Curral de Moinas hit last year.

And yeah, probably nothing will do substantial numbers anytime soon. Maybe only in September when Saw X comes out?

The Nun is the biggest horror OW of all time here selling ~111.000 tickets on OW so... that, definitly that. That needs to carry September on its back. Equalizer and Haunting in Venice  should do decently. Saw X only opens in October here.

Right now I think Um Filme do Caraças sells around 10.000 tickets on OW but maybe Pedro Alves will indeed pull a miracle. If anything the time is now since, like you said, he is hot from Festa é Festa and Curral de Moinas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The Nun is the biggest horror OW of all time here selling ~111.000 tickets on OW so... that, definitly that. That needs to carry September on its back. Equalizer and Haunting in Venice  should do decently. Saw X only opens in October here.

Right now I think Um Filme do Caraças sells around 10.000 tickets on OW but maybe Pedro Alves will indeed pull a miracle. If anything the time is now since, like you said, he is hot from Festa é Festa and Curral de Moinas.

Lmfao, 111k? That's batshit crazy lol. I had forgotten that the Conjuring franchise is massive here. But I'd be surprised if Nun 2 hits anywhere close to 1. Maybe 55-60k tickets (would still be the biggest since Barbenheimer, but 50% off from the first one).

I'm expecting 20k from Filme do Caraças, though I have no pre-sales data so I'm guessing blindly lol. Don't know how the other Equalizers and Murder on the Orient Express + Death on the Nile did, so yeah.

Actuals are out (besides the WB movies), almost everything kept the same number as the preliminary estimations, except for TMNT Mutant Mayhem, down from 15.7M to 15.2M (making the weekend to weekend drop -45% now)

Edited by Jovan

18 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Levi never ceases to sound delusional in his statements. It’s really funny to see the star of Shazam movies talking about quality with blockbusters being the issue. 

Shazam 2 was poop, but the first Shazam was a great, refreshing CBM when it came out.

19 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Nun 2 will overperform big time. I think can do similar numbers to first one or bigger. There's a big audience for supernatural horror.

The first Nun was horrible but this trailer is very effective 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

Shazam 2 was poop, but the first Shazam was a great, refreshing CBM when it came out.

I think it was generic as hell and Levi was incredibly annoying (don’t get the whole man child comedic appeal). But the kid actors did a good job at least. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think there's a little bit of revisionist history going on with Shazam after Shazam 2 came out and was an outright flop. Because Shazam 1 was pretty universally acclaimed when it first came out. Say what you will about how generic the sequel was, but the first had heart, humor, and a solid story that you don't often see handled as effectively as many CBMs today. Honestly, I think Sandberg really has the directing chops for big-budget fare. Just get him away from DC for a bit.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I think there's a little bit of revisionist history going on with Shazam after Shazam 2 came out and was an outright flop. Because Shazam 1 was pretty universally acclaimed when it first came out. Say what you will about how generic the sequel was, but the first had heart, humor, and a solid story that you don't often see handled as effectively as many CBMs today. Honestly, I think Sandberg really has the directing chops for big-budget fare. Just get him away from DC for a bit.

first Shazam was OK but super forgettable. Think critics and Film Twitter overpraised it because it went so far away from the Snyder tone 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

In retrospect, it's probably my favorite DCEU movie apart from Gunn's Suicide Squad. It's got legitimately solid humor and a strong emotional heart behind it that makes it endearing and has a lot of fun ideas and concepts in terms of the power fantasy of a kid with superpowers. It's also smart in making sure Billy Batson gets a ton of focus, which I'm disappointed Fury of the Gods supposedly ignores (will probably watch it? Maybe? Who knows?). Him learning his birth mother rejected him really is one of the few legit solid bits of pathos in that franchise.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Not revisionist here. I thought that RT score was baffling at the time too. It’s like if the original Fantastic Four had netted those kind of reviews (there were some parts that were more generic/laughable than that archaic cbm). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Not revisionist here. I thought that RT score was baffling at the time too. It’s like if the original Fantastic Four had netted those kind of reviews (there were some parts that were more generic/laughable than that archaic cbm). 

No offense, but it's okay to just acknoweldge that some critics just had a different opinion than you and there's nothing "baffling" about a kids movie getting good ratings. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.

• Like 2

The first Shazam remains one of the best DCEU movies (not that that means much). It is actually baffling how hard Sandberg dropped the ball on the second one. It's not like he's a great filmmaker, but he's decent enough and had three wins prior to Fury of the Gods.

Edited by ringedmortality
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

No offense, but it's okay to just acknoweldge that some critics just had a different opinion than you and there's nothing "baffling" about a kids movie getting good ratings. It's really not that hard a concept to grasp.

It’s not even about my opinion though here. If audiences felt at all like critics about it, it would have been literally impossible for 2 to bomb so spectacularly out of the gate. It is baffling 1 is ahead of most cbms ever made on RT. Though tbf, the mentioned anti-Snyder effect could make sense. 

And what’s this “kids movie” thing about? It was PG-13 and marketed to the same audience as your average cbm. Also, any critic worth anything doesn’t give a movie good reviews just because it targets kids. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1