kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

3 minutes ago, Willowra said:

The Flash with 2 Batman did just 268m WW. What if The Marvels opens similar to The Flash(55-65m OW) & gets B cinemascore? Anything is possible. 

Just a ridiculous thing to say. DC had many previous low grossing examples to compare to. What was the last MCU film to do $270 mil WW?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

WB didn't see the BB gross and go "oh this will be saved by DVD, let's still continue with this!"

It had good legs, especially at the domestic box office. $200+ million domestic was not chump change in 2005. They understood that the movie had to overcome the toxicity of Batman & Robin. You had a Joker card ending, which pretty much guaranteed the BB sequel would make more money.

You had strong reviews from critics, strong reviews from fans, strong legs, and later strong DVD sales. It all pointed to a green light for the sequel, which even got a higher budget of $185M instead of $150M...despite the "disappointing" box office of the first movie. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It had good legs, especially at the domestic box office. $200+ million domestic was not chump change in 2005. They understood that the movie had to overcome the toxicity of Batman & Robin. You had a Joker card ending, which pretty much guaranteed the BB sequel would make more money.

You had strong reviews from critics, strong reviews from fans, strong legs, and later strong DVD sales. It all pointed to a green light for the sequel, which even got a higher budget of $185M instead of $150M...despite the "disappointing" box office of the first movie. 

Exactly. So if the same thing happened with Superman Legacy, they're not cancelling everything.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Just a ridiculous thing to say. DC had many previous low grossing examples to compare to. What was the last MCU film to do $270 mil WW?

I think the popularity of Captain Marvel is similar to that of Ant-Man in the MCU right now, but the problem is that there is no Kang in the movie to help its box office. So I think unless Marvel Studios taps extra female audiences or makes people hype about The Marvels at the last moment, The Marvels is in big trouble (65-80m OW).

Edited by Willowra
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Exactly. So if the same thing happened with Superman Legacy, they're not cancelling everything.

Yeah, there's A LOT of context missing in just saying what it 'needs' to gross.

Even just wrangling the budget to less than $200m would make $600m completely fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Willowra said:

I think the popularity of Captain Marvel is similar to that of Ant-Man in the MCU right now, but the problem is that there is no Kang in the movie to help its box office. So I think unless Marvel Studios taps extra female audiences or makes people hype about The Marvels at the last moment, The Marvels is in big trouble (65-80m OW).

Obviously this isn't the Marvels thread... But LMAO WHAT. Based on WHAT?

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

4 minutes ago, Willowra said:

If The Marvels gets even decent-ish reviews, it's opening over $100m. It's actually the most likely film to open to $100m for the rest of the year. Now, anything other than decent could spell some doom, but $80m still seems like the absolute floor for these movies. If it gets GOTG 3 reviews and WoM, it's probably opening on par if not higher.

If Superman: Legacy doesn’t outgross Man of Steel then how can it be claimed as a success? And Batman Begins is from a different era completely at this point. The Suicide Squad performed worse than Suicide Squad, Shazam 2 performed worse than Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1984 performed worse than Wonder Woman. Aquaman 2 will likely follow this trend. DC will have no reason to believe a Superman: Legacy 2 will be successful if the first movie underperforms in any way. 

Edited by ListenHunnyUrOver
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

If Superman: Legacy doesn’t outgross Man of Steel then how can it be claimed as a success? And Batman Begins is from a different era completely at this point. The Suicide Squad performed worse than Suicide Squad, Shazam 2 performed worse than Shazam, and Wonder Woman 1984 performed worse than Wonder Woman. Aquaman 2 will likely follow this trend. DC will have no reason to believe a Superman: Legacy 2 will be successful if the first movie underperforms in any way. 

Man of Steel was coming off the massive success of the TDK trilogy, and attached Nolans name to the film. If Legacy can outgross it by $1, it's a massive success.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Willowra said:

The Marvels has the Kpop guy. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

I think in this age of streaming services, it's becoming more and more difficult for a blockbuster movie to do 2.5x the budget, so anything above 2x I consider box office disappointment, not flop. Variety said FastX will make profit, so if Fastx is making some profit, then other movies that are doing 2x+ the budget are also making some profit.

Hunger Games: 300-550m

The Marvels  270–600m

I think $350M is the floor for The Marvels. I just don’t think the ceiling is very high. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

This is my thought about streaming. People nowadays like to claim if a movie flopped at BO, the streaming will come in and save the day. That doesn't make sense at all!

Streaming didn't create an additional revenue stream for a movie! They merely replacing all other format such as DVD/Blu-ray and TV. The way how streaming save a flop nowadays isn't much different from how physical media did back in 1990s or 2000s.   

• Like 1

Just now, titanic2187 said:

This is my thought about streaming. People nowadays like to claim if a movie flopped at BO, the streaming will come in and save the day. That doesn't make sense at all!

Streaming didn't create an additional revenue stream for a movie! They merely replacing all other format such as DVD/Blu-ray and TV. The way how streaming save a flop nowadays isn't much different from how physical media did back in 1990s or 2000s.   

Actually, Streaming has killed profits because physical media made more money. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It had good legs, especially at the domestic box office. $200+ million domestic was not chump change in 2005.  

On that point, when you go to ~2005 era "hollywood year in review" stats, they used $200M as the big blockbuster count cutoff  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Actually, Streaming has killed profits because physical media made more money. 

Not only that. Streaming give platform provider such as Netflix and Disney+ far bigger leverage and control over talent, result in even more unrewarded talents.  

• Like 1