Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #WED - E3 $2.03M, Barbie $720K, GT $430K, BB $345K

11 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

Mind you, this was back before the first week was even over. Sue me for not yet being convinced it was going to do those numbers way back then. Safe to say, most weren't predicting that. Hardly the same as making claims about it doing TGM numbers weeks after it was already showing weaker legs. That was nothing more than wishful thinking. 

You started there, then claimed 600 wasn't guaranteed, then that the film would end 620ish, and the "600 wasn't guaranteed" was around the time of those TGM comments too. It's no stretch to say you have been underpredicting the film at every turn, which is fine, you are allowed your opinion, but it's kind of silly to make fun of people for overpredicting when you underpredicted the film every step of the way and have been gradually forced to up your prediction because reality smashed it up continuously.

18 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

You started there, then claimed 600 wasn't guaranteed, then that the film would end 620ish, and the "600 wasn't guaranteed" was around the time of those TGM comments too. It's no stretch to say you have been underpredicting the film at every turn, which is fine, you are allowed your opinion, but it's kind of silly to make fun of people for overpredicting when you underpredicted the film every step of the way and have been gradually forced to up your prediction because reality smashed it up continuously.

This is funny because I'm never the one to go after anyone first. I only make reference to what others have predicted after they feel the need to call me out as if they were personally insulted by my opinion. If only you thought it was equally as silly for people to get offended by others saying numbers aren't locked... Anyhow, at the same time I said 600 wasn't guaranteed I said it would cross that mark but 650 was not locked and that was true yet some took offense. Without IMAX, my prediction of 620-625 would be more accurate than those claiming 650 was locked and 700 was in play. And I would rather be one who shows caution and allows a movie to give proof of what it can make rather than giving premature over predictions.  

Edited by Ororo Munroe

36 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Taboo topic for moderation, but important bombshell report nonetheless:

https://www.vulture.com/article/rotten-tomatoes-movie-rating.html

An honestly garbage article to be honest. It praises the "old system" of a single reviewer propping up a films success. Then goes on to say that Quantumania's reviews propelled it to the huge OW. Then goes on to say "sanity prevailed" when The Whale and Blonde's RT scores dropped. A whole shit ton of personal bias dripping in the writing. Then they say a film that didn't want more reviews because it had a 100% won an Oscar, like that's the reason it won. Give me a break.

RT has its problems, and audiences probably lean on it too much. But it's not that serious. Yeah it probably rewards mediocrity more than it should, but it gets it right pretty often. And who cares if small studios pay critics to review their films. An 80% on RT isn't going to make your garbage film millions of dollars.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

An honestly garbage article to be honest. It praises the "old system" of a single reviewer propping up a films success. Then goes on to say that Quantumania's reviews propelled it to the huge OW. Then goes on to say "sanity prevailed" when The Whale and Blonde's RT scores dropped. A whole shit ton of personal bias dripping in the writing. Then they say a film that didn't want more reviews because it had a 100% won an Oscar, like that's the reason it won. Give me a break.

RT has its problems, and audiences probably lean on it too much. But it's not that serious. Yeah it probably rewards mediocrity more than it should, but it gets it right pretty often. And who cares if small studios pay critics to review their films. An 80% on RT isn't going to make your garbage film millions of dollars.

Yeah I really didn't like that. It should be a good thing that no one has that much influence on film scores.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JustLurking said:

without imax barbie would finish closer to 599,99 than TGM

On 9/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, ChipDerby said:

Oh I think the impact of RT on opening weekend box office can be absolutely massive, depending on the situation. We have seen movies with great reviews exceed tracking and ones with bad reviews fail to live up to tracking on OW way too much in recent years for it to just be coincidental.

People come to expect standards for certain things on RT too. Like the GA has gotten used to MCU getting so many 85%+ RT scores over the years, even GotG3 not having that when it opened looked like it was going to hurt it based on preview and OD numbers, before WOM really took over that weekend. 

If we start getting wind that the major studios have done this payola thing for major films, that would be an absolutely massive development that has undoubtedly impacted box office in a huge way in recent years. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1