Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #MON - Nun II $750K, Equalizer 3 $475K, Barbie $355K, Dumb Money $250K, Blue Beetle$175K

A bit OT, but I’ve been thinking about what a banner year this has been for non-sequels dominating the box office and I totally see it continuing through the rest of the year too.

I think Wonka is a lock for DOM top ten, and I also think both Eras and Killers have higher shots at hitting 200 than Marvels, Hunger Games or Aquaman do. Then Wish is another non-sequel sleeper. I can see the DOM top 10 for the year potentially being 7 non-sequels… how far back would we have to go for that? I’d think the beginning of this century at the very least 

Looks like 2005 would be the last time we had at least 7 non-sequels in the DOM top 10. Except almost all of them were reboots/remakes, so it kinda doesn’t count. 2001 is the last time we really had a bunch of non-sequels/remakes/reboots in the top ten, The Little Mermaid is really the only one this year that falls under that umbrella.

For further context, last year’s top ten was a record whopping 9 sequels. And The Batman is the one that wasn’t, which is obviously still a huge franchise film reboot. So what has happened this year to reverse the seemingly sequelitis doom of Hollywood is truly remarkable. 

13 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Looks like 2005 would be the last time we had at least 7 non-sequels in the DOM top 10. Except almost all of them were reboots/remakes, so it kinda doesn’t count. 2001 is the last time we really had a bunch of non-sequels/remakes/reboots in the top ten, The Little Mermaid is really the only one this year that falls under that umbrella.

For further context, last year’s top ten was a record whopping 9 sequels. And The Batman is the one that wasn’t, which is obviously still a huge franchise film reboot. So what has happened this year to reverse the seemingly sequelitis doom of Hollywood is truly remarkable. 

Wonka would be a prequel, just like the Hunger Games prequel...so if you expect it to be Top 10, it falls in the sequel/prequel category...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Wonka would be a prequel, just like the Hunger Games prequel...so if you expect it to be Top 10, it falls in the sequel/prequel category...

Oh wow, I had no idea the movie is canonically supposed to be a prequel to the 1971 film. Thought this was entirely separate from the existing films, so reboot at most. 

2 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

A bit OT, but I’ve been thinking about what a banner year this has been for non-sequels dominating the box office and I totally see it continuing through the rest of the year too.

I think Wonka is a lock for DOM top ten, and I also think both Eras and Killers have higher shots at hitting 200 than Marvels, Hunger Games or Aquaman do. Then Wish is another non-sequel sleeper. I can see the DOM top 10 for the year potentially being 7 non-sequels… how far back would we have to go for that? I’d think the beginning of this century at the very least 

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

IDK about Marvels, but KOTFM definitely has a higher chance of reaching $200m DOM than Hunger Games. 

Yeah i doubt that, Hunger Games was massive and women have been massively driving entertainment spending this year, if its decent it should clear 200m, KOTFM might open in the 30-40m range so you'd need a 5+x IM to get to 200m without the benefit of summer or winter

14 minutes ago, Giorno said:

Yeah i doubt that, Hunger Games was massive and women have been massively driving entertainment spending this year, if its decent it should clear 200m, KOTFM might open in the 30-40m range so you'd need a 5+x IM to get to 200m without the benefit of summer or winter

"Massively driving" what? Out of the 18 $100m DOM grossers this year, only 4 have been majority female according to PostTrak. The rest were majority male, despite the fact there are more women than men.

You can blame that on Hollywood not making appealing products for women, which is true, but still. 

Fatigued franchises this year haven't exactly been on a roll, so I will say KOTFM is more likely to break $200m DOM. The Departed adjusts to $200m DOM in today's dollars.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol I thought this was a hard reboot for that IP with no attachment to existing films. Honestly very strange that it’s not, can’t imagine the benefit of canonically making it a prequel to such an old film. 

Timothee is the most beautiful, most wonderful man in the world, Gene Wilder was also a beautiful, wonderful man. Therefore, they are obligated to be connected to each other. Simple as that really.

• Astonished 1

4 hours ago, Bob Train said:

"Massively driving" what? Out of the 18 $100m DOM grossers this year, only 4 have been majority female according to PostTrak. The rest were majority male, despite the fact there are more women than men.

You can blame that on Hollywood not making appealing products for women, which is true, but still. 

Fatigued franchises this year haven't exactly been on a roll, so I will say KOTFM is more likely to break $200m DOM. The Departed adjusts to $200m DOM in today's dollars.

Departed is more like 250m, esp with PLF inflation. i think most forget pretty much all Leo/Scorsese stuff would adjust to 175 or more. Their track record with these kind of movies is extremely impressive. I see no reason with such a dry spell at the box office and older audiences proving they will turn out for the right movie why it wouldnt be a big hit. Unless it’s simply the kind of movie critics like but audiences don’t. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I had forgotten that Death on the Nile's 2nd weekend was President's Day weekend. If it hadn't been for the accompanying Sunday boost from that (more adults going to theaters on Sun because they had the next day off, too -- in fact DotN's 2nd Sun only say a 2% drop from it's first Sun) then AHiV likely would've likely had a higher 2nd weekend. And it's having a better 2nd week in general. It's 2nd Tue is +11% over DotN's and it's 2nd Wed is +6%. Overall, AHiV is pacing less than 2% behind DotN after 13 days. It'll be really interesting to see how it holds this weekend.