Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

Just now, Maggie said:

I don't dismiss what you have to say. YOu have some good reasoning, but it makes me wonder if your hate for Marty isn't at the heart of your hate of this movie. It's like you look for every negative detail to spew hate on Marty and the movie.

I don't understand how anyone can hate Martin Scorsese. The man has done so much for cinema through his films and the World Cinema Project. He's a deeply thoughtful and sensitive person. Clearly well meaning. And I have seen so much disdain for him, and maybe that's why I am overly sensitive to critiques of this film. He clearly meant well and tried his best with this story. Apple spent 200 million to try to do it justice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

I don't dismiss what you have to say. YOu have some good reasoning, but it makes me wonder if your hate for Marty isn't at the heart of your hate of this movie. It's like you look for every negative detail to spew hate on Marty and the movie.

I love Martin Scorsese. I fucking love Silence, I think that Departed is a fun crime flick that introduced me to Infernal Affairs, Wolf of Wallstreet introduced me to Margot Robbie and from his older films, I love Taxi Driver. This is my usual stance with several ‘based on a true story" films, I usually avoid them if they  don’t have the marginalized voices front and center. It’s a personal stance. I will watch KOTFM, this was just me echoing the voice of someone that clearly should have a say on this film and have their opinion respected and not chastised.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

People using under-35 instead of under-25 as the "young person" quadrant is a sign they're playing a narrative framing game. This isn't a dig at you, just something worth flagging. 

You have a point, maybe it’s because i’m not in the -25 group but i still have a hard time seeing myself anything other than young haha

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I love Martin Scorsese. I fucking love Silence, I think that Departed is a fun crime flick that introduced me to Infernal Affairs, Wolf of Wallstreet introduced me to Margot Robbie and from his older films, I love Taxi Driver. This is my usual stance with several ‘based on a true story" films, I usually avoid them if they  don’t have the marginalized voices front and center. It’s a personal stance. I will watch KOTFM, this was just me echoing the voice of someone that clearly should have a say on this film and have their opinion respected and not chastised.

An Irish guy made a film about my culture's tragedy haha. I'm not Irish. I was happy a big movie did get made about it, but I can't say it was a perfect movie. No one ended up seeing it, which sucks. I do think it's good people are seeing KOTFM. 

I think there is more than one way into any historical event, and I look forward to supporting an Osage filmmaker telling their version at some point. Killers of the Flower Moon made me interested in this part of history, so I hope it happens one day. I am sad to admit without these projects, I don't know if it would have captured my attention otherwise. Not because I'm indifferent, but sometimes we need a big neon flashing light on something to force ourselves to stop and watch. 

Edited by Curiouser and Curiouser

16 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

People using under-35 instead of under-25 as the "young person" quadrant is a sign they're playing a narrative framing game. This isn't a dig at you, just something worth flagging. 

This is what I'm talking about. The average "under-35" number for a R rated film is 65% (Flower Moon's opening night was 45%). with 20% of R rated audiences being over 45 on average. Granted, horror obviously has a much higher 18-25/34 than older skewing dramas but this simply isn't over indexing with young people. It's a fake inference the studio trying to incept by failing to provide a baseline when passing these numbers to variety.

Really cool infographic collapsed below

Spoiler

comscore-films-of-posttrak-data-1-1.jpg

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And i’m disliking how you pick minorities opinions to validate your own and then answer everyone that disagreed with you subliminally saying that people are invalidating minorities opinions, or putting blame / chatise on them. Use minorities pov to weaponize them in your benefit is dehumanizing, and it’s what your posts are feeling tbh. 

You were the one who claimed "she entered a franchise that constantly reaffirms imperialistic behaviors," and framed said statement as a negative.

Also, why are you generalizing Indigenous people as minorities, since the only opinions I have shared come from Indigenous groups in America? If you're going to insult me by saying I'm dehumanizing minorities, at least refer to the exact minority group you're claiming I'm dehumanizing.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
grammar and formatting issues

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

You have a point, maybe it’s because i’m not in the -25 group but i still have a hard time seeing myself anything other than young haha

|-----------|

| WE          |

| ARE         |

| YOUNG   |

|-----------|

(\__/) ||

(•ㅅ•) ||

/   づ

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

For a R-rated movie, taking <25 age group is simply putting these R-rated movie at a disadvantage against other PG-13. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

For a R-rated movie, taking <25 age group is simply putting these R-rated movie at a disadvantage against other PG-13. 

Sure, but I followed that up with a post including an R rated movie baseline (generated by screenengine from the first 1000 wide releases analyized by posttrak). It's below the R rated average.

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

You were the one who claimed "she entered a franchise that constantly reaffirms imperialistic behaviors," and framed said statement as a negative.

Also, why are you generalizing Indigenous people as minorities, since the only opinions I have shared come from Indigenous groups in America? If you're going to insult me by saying I'm dehumanizing minorities, at least refer to the exact minority group you're claiming I'm dehumanizing.

You’re trying way too hard lol

bye 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Isn't this also a sign that the film isn't performing as well as the Studio itself hoped?

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Isn't this also a sign that the film isn't performing as well as the Studio itself hoped?

Yeah. I think we have some anecdotal data showing the studio basically wanted the film to perform at least like a film that had a ~120M budget (but I'm going to do a bit more of a dive on that based on iSPOT data and some very old trade pieces).

4 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Everything is always spin. 23.3 million domestic for a 3.5 hour movie alone isn't anything to sneeze at. Let alone that it's not an action movie, it's not IP, and it's depressing. 

Call me crazy, but I always thought over 20 million openings were what you'd hope for for an adult drama. The only reason this seems disappointing is the budget. But as has been discussed to infinity, the budget is way less relevant to this project than to non Apple films. Never mind the biggest movie star in the world did almost zero press for this, which I think probably would have boosted that international number even more. I don't believe it's opening in china either. 

The budget itself is literally the only drag on its performance right now. And the budget was so outside the realm of typical movie math I don't even know how you can analyze it as a profit loss sort of thing. 

That is very cool about NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS. My daughter adores it, so maybe i'll take her. we watch it at home all the time though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yeah. I think we have some anecdotal data showing the studio basically wanted the film to perform at least like a film that had a ~120M budget (but I'm going to do a bit more of a dive on that based on iSPOT data and some very old trade pieces).

the actor strike may have made that impossible. I was initially skeptical but now i'm of the opinion it hurt the movie. 

4 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

But as has been discussed to infinity, the budget is way less relevant to this project than to non Apple films

Then why is Apple putting a spin on viewership if none of this matters to them? Unless that's Variety or Paramount's doing...?

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul