Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

Early audience Comscore/Screen Engine exits are showing that there’s not a divide between moviegoers and critics when it comes to Killers of the Flower Moon. While movie reviewers are at 93% certified fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, PostTrak shows 4 1/2 stars, 87% positive and a 72% recommend. While men over 25 repped half of last night’s crowd and women over 25 another 30%, it was men under 25 at 13% who gave the movie its best grades, that being 95%. Overall guys showed up at 64%. These demos will fluctuate throughout the weekend.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Nolan, HIS POWER!

A mixture of Nolan's drawing power and the big Barbie connection that got the TikTok generation, the current saviours of the box office, aboard.

This movie unfortunately doesn't have the favour of that crowd, so it'll fight an uphill battle. But an opening near $30M is still impressive for what it is. I can't wait to see my first Marty movie on the big screen tomorrow, and hope more will follow even if Apple sours on him.

• Like 1

If Nolan doesn't win Best Director this year, then i'm starting to believe The Academy just don't like him. Oppenheimer was genuinely good and it also made a killing at the BO, so the public enjoyed it too. No, I have not yet seen KOTFM

• Like 1

Initial robust pre-sales probably gave people some hope but I think a 25m+ opening or so is about in line with what I've been expecting with a hopeful 80m finish or so. Obviously the budget is massive, but Apple will be fine me thinks

• Like 1

Anyways, I'm gonna do the waiting game on tihs one before I say anything. If we get 30M+ (not impossible) or even high 20s, then I'll say we're fine. If we get mid-20s, I'll probably throw a few wisecracks at audiences and how undemanding they are. If we're low 20s or sub-20, then I'll do my usual spiel about NTCs (n*stalgic t*y c*mmercials) and how cinema is dying and how we're losing our culture and the usual doom and gloom. Gonna be fun!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Nostalgic Toy Commercials needs to be retired as an attempted catchphrase around here.

Mean Girls Regina George GIF - Mean Girls Regina George Its Not Going To  Happen - Discover & Share GIFs

Anyway, I'm just happy Apple gave this a shot in theaters even if it doesn't make $100M+, I'm guessing had this starred, say, Andrew Garfield instead of Leo this would've remained a streaming exclusive. A testament to the latter's drawing power that he can bring people out for a 3.5 hour drama that didn't seem easy to market in 30 second TV spots.

• Like 7
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Nostalgic Toy Commercials needs to be retired as an attempted catchphrase around here.

Mean Girls Regina George GIF - Mean Girls Regina George Its Not Going To  Happen - Discover & Share GIFs

Anyway, I'm just happy Apple gave this a shot in theaters even if it doesn't make $100M+, I'm guessing had this starred, say, Andrew Garfield instead of Leo this would've remained a streaming exclusive. A testament to the latter's drawing power that he can bring people out for a 3.5 hour drama that didn't seem easy to market in 30 second TV spots.

It is the factual truth tho.

Not even DiCaprio can open a movie anymore.