XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

I still say that Marvel botched Kang and he will never be another Thanos but crowbarring in Doctor Doom sounds like a bad idea to me. Marvel are in trouble because they are throwing too many characters at the audience and not even developing them, they don't need to continue that bad habit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Look at Homecoming. Given that Iron Man is 100% CGI, you don't need RDJ to be on set very many days for his presence to be felt. 

If they are coming back then it needs to be like NWH - they can't be cameos as that burns so much good will.

It so simple set up new heros who fight against a big bad and they fail

Part 2, through some multiverse shit RDJ as Iron man and cap come back. 

Seems unoriginal but that is a storyline that get 3-4 billion in box office in 2 movies lol 

Edited by Torontofan
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

"Stranges spell left a universe where Mysterio had to survive" - job done. But agree a group could be fun.

I mean I never bought that he died. Dude prolly had a decoy or some shit. There was a whole team operating Mysterio. You can even do fun banter with him and Mordo. Mysterio is like “we both hate a goody two shoes from New York as well as being magic masters and the best, let’s be besties” and Mordo views Mysterio with contempt because he is a fraud and tries to get him killed many times. That shit writes itself.

Zemo is the obvious leader who is using the Masters. Zemo believes that supers are flawed but is revealed to be a hypocrite, dude just wants the illusion of control. If he can control The Masters and they control the world, he’ll be safe.

Mordo joins because this is his best way to eliminate all magic with Zemo’s regime. Although he views himself as much more altruistic than the rest of the villains.

Titania hates She-Hulk. She is driven by vitriol for Jennifer alone. Zemo offers her revenge and money for fashion. That’s pretty basic. Hammer wants power to and having HammerTech run the world is something he wants. Mysterio, similar reasons as the two

Namor would be Zemo’s second in command. They don’t trust each other but have more trust in each other than the heroes. Zemo also promises to leave Talokan in peace. However, once it becomes clear that Zemo was using Namor, have him become the turncoat. Maybe he finds a kinship with Strange and they give the Illuminati a try.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

It so simple set up new heros who fight against a big bad and they fail

Part 2, through some multiverse shit RDJ as Iron man and cap come back. 

That’s what they will do and kind of be ass. Because it just confirms to the GA and fans, that the heroes the phase were about were always inferior. Especially if both RDJ Iron Man and Steve Cap stay.

1 minute ago, Sckathian said:

If they are coming back then it needs to be like NWH - they can't be cameos as that burns so much good will.

Yeah, I agree that's a real danger. On the other hand, what's the minimum? 1-2 "real" scenes followed by voiceover work + HUD shots?

Look at Toby from NWH. Here's the "non-CGI" scenes that I count. 

(1) "Multiversal SM exist scene" (which could easily could have been shot with a plate)

(2) 3 Peter Parkers monologuing about their backstories

(3) Science-guys scene

(5) Raimi-Man talking to TASM-man in a CGI construction yard 

(6) 2 lines to Otto with his mask off with same CGI backdrop

(7) physically stops Tom Holland from stabbing Goblin/getting stabbed himself scene

Of these, scenes 1 and 6 are or easily could be just quick scenes against a green screen/inserted later in a plate and 2 & 5 technically don't really need Toby to be in the same location as the other guys (of course, too much of that thinking leads you to "less than the sum of its parts" films like Solo). 

Honestly, that's a little more than I remembered/was expecting. Seems more like evidence against my point than for it. 

8 minutes ago, YM! said:

That’s what they will do and kind of be ass. Because it just confirms to the GA and fans, that the heroes the phase were about were always inferior. Especially if both RDJ Iron Man and Steve Cap stay.

be honest the MCU seems to be crumbling anyways with declined interest in new heros.

Only hero that seems to ne anywhere near Original Avengers level in likeability and popularity is Spiderman. 

Thor i think is popular but I dont think solo outings will do well much.  

Edited by Torontofan

9 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think we're, again, conflating "not as big as the originals" with unpopular. Everyone seems to have enjoyed Shang-Chi even if it didn't make a billion.

I mean. A key reason why there’s complaints is because there’s no much projects and not enough reoccurring characters. Think Shang-Chi is popular but it’s likely going to be a gap of 20 something projects before he’s seen again. That hampers popularity some.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I think we're, again, conflating "not as big as the originals" with unpopular. Everyone seems to have enjoyed Shang-Chi even if it didn't make a billion.

And yet Marvel seemingly has no plans for a sequel until the 5 year mark. Shang-Chi 2 should be releasing next year but it won't because they put it on the back burner for whatever reason.

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

And yet Marvel seemingly has no plans for a sequel until the 5 year mark. Shang-Chi 2 should be releasing next year but it won't because they put it on the back burner for whatever reason.

If by "whatever reason" you mean "the director is directing an Avengers movie that Shang-Chi is almost certainly in" then yes, it's no reason.

30 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean. A key reason why there’s complaints is because there’s no much projects and not enough reoccurring characters. Think Shang-Chi is popular but it’s likely going to be a gap of 20 something projects before he’s seen again. That hampers popularity some.

They should have found a place for him in something like MoM or Cap 4 (Cap 4 would’ve also benefited from being a covert Avengers film like Cap 3 frankly). I agree that they’ve left potentially popular new characters on the bench for too long. 

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

If by "whatever reason" you mean "the director is directing an Avengers movie that Shang-Chi is almost certainly in" then yes, it's no reason.

While this is true, it also didn't stop the Russo Brothers from getting a Captain America movie in between (pseudo Avengers). Still think Shang Chi should at the very least be showing up in other Marvel films/shows, if not having his own sequel already. But the schedule is so full that they're trying so hard to juggle between the pecking order of sequels and new characters to introduce not to mention the pandemic/strikes further delaying things. But this is the problem with universe creep. It's gotten so big that characters are gonna go years without showing up because Marvel is committed to some 3-4 movies a year and a handful of shows and there's only so many slots and oversight.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

While this is true, it also didn't stop the Russo Brothers from getting a Captain America movie in between (pseudo Avengers)

Yes,but that's because they didn't start on Infinity War till after Civil War. And weren't people just complaining they weren't sitting up Kang enough? Which is it?

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

While this is true, it also didn't stop the Russo Brothers from getting a Captain America movie in between (pseudo Avengers). Still think Shang Chi should at the very least be showing up in other Marvel films/shows, if not having his own sequel already. But the schedule is so full that they're trying so hard to juggle between the pecking order of sequels and new characters to introduce not to mention the pandemic/strikes further delaying things. But this is the problem with universe creep. It's gotten so big that characters are gonna go years without showing up because Marvel is committed to some 3-4 movies a year and a handful of shows and there's only so many slots and oversight.

They have too many sub franchises at this point. So much so that they're launching this "Marvel Spotlight" banner to let people know what's not important to the larger universe. It kind of tells you the degree to which this has all gotten away from them.

• Like 2