XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean I agree that the overall fix it in post mentality doesn’t work but that’s like saying let’s throw away Jennifer Lee at WDAS because Strange World died awfully or Chris Melandandri should’ve not had a job because Hop did awful.

Yep. And as we've seen with DC this year (which is not getting the "dead forever" treatment despite having multiple movies over several years with openings like The Marvels is looking at, not just one), changing the person in charge does not magically fix box office instantly. Feiges got plenty more than enough wins in his column to keep his job.

Marvels box office streak lasted over a decade. Statistically a misfire was inevitable. That doesn't mean the entire studio is going to crash and burn just because Variety made some clickbait.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Yep. And as we've seen with DC this year (which is not getting the "dead forever" treatment despite having multiple movies over several years with openings like The Marvels is looking at, not just one), changing the person in charge does not magically fix box office instantly. Feiges got plenty more than enough wins in his column to keep his job.

There’s been plenty of people who said DC is dead forever and their universe was kaput when the films started to flop. Let’s not pretend it’s just a Marvel thing. All franchises go through this.

• Like 2

Just now, YM! said:

There’s been plenty of people who said DC is dead forever and their universe was kaput when the films started to flop. Let’s not pretend it’s just a Marvel thing. All franchises go through this.

...but DC isnt dead forever. That's my point. People are being far more doom and gloom about Marvel than they ever were about DC despite Marvel being, objectively, in a much better position.

Edited by SpiderByte

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Based on the description of the plot it's kind of not possible to pretend Marvel Studios isn't making it.

Yeah probably. Even I am going down the MCU is doomed in its current state route I said I would not do. It's catchy. Heck I still think Brave New World can do well if they have a good movie they are confident in and it's not relying on TV show plotlines and characters the GA is not interested in or care about. If is then it's gonna have the same problems though. 

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah probably. Even I am going down the MCU is doomed in its current state route I said I would not do. It's catchy. Heck I still think Brave New World can do well if they have a good movie they are confident in and it's not relying on TV show plotlines and characters the GA is not interested in or care about. If is then it's gonna have the same problems though. 

I don't think it's like one day we wake up and Marvel cancels everything. It's just scalability. And that's something that can be fixed.

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

I think it's pretty safe at this point to say DeadPool 3 will not be sold or marketed as a MCU movie even if they will be setting up Secret Wars and have the TVA from Loki in it. It will be sold as the teamup movie for the two most popular characters from the X men Fox verse

It was always going to be sold as Deadpool finally interacting with Wolverine as its main marketing point, but there are so many marketing angles to this one...

Considering the rumored cameo/cast list includes all kinds of wild stuff from the past (from movies before X-Men made superheroes outside of Batman, Superman and Spider-Man cool), they'll have plenty to reveal in small clips in the weeks leading to it that they don't even need to touch much on the MCU stuff if they don't want to.

Although for me it is still hype that we might get Deadpool and Wolverine interacting with Avengers members (specially Spidey) in the future, and they can certainly market that angle too if they wish.

Edited by Arlborn

Marvel died when Disney bought the publishing arm and turned it into a creatively bankrupt agenda pusher. I would gladly read the Clone Saga in perpetuity over what Marvel Comics puts out today.

Add in the push for content for Disney Minus and there isn't anything left of interest to mine for the entertainment arm. It's over. Hopefully when The Marvels opens to under $50 million that will be the last gasp of what used to be something special. 

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Marvels box office streak lasted over a decade. Statistically a misfire was inevitable. That doesn't mean the entire studio is going to crash and burn just because Variety made some clickbait.

Let's be real, Disney is not gonna can MCU just because one movie flops. Apart from Avatar 2, MCU is the only >600m WW grossers they've had post-COVID. Also, just because you disagree with some of the points they made in the Variety article doesn't mean it was clickbait. I found it to be a telling article about the inner workings of the MCU machine.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Let's be real, Disney is not gonna can MCU just because one movie flops. Apart from Avatar 2, MCU is the only >600m WW grossers they've had post-COVID. Also, just because you disagree with some of the points they made in the Variety article doesn't mean it was clickbait. I found it to be a telling article about the inner workings of the MCU machine.

That one, despite the Blade bits being disputed, maybe.

The "what comes after Marvel, or have they ruined cinema forever" one they just released? Absolutely clickbait. Barely has an argument beyond "what if video game movies are more poorly reviewed than the average superhero movie is" and just seems...upset that blockbusters are usually not super realistic?

Edited by SpiderByte

Like any franchise, it's only dead until it isn't. Claiming DC is dead while Joker 2 and The Batman Part II, two guaranteed money makers are coming out in the next 24 months seems foolish. Same goes for the MCU - it's sucking ass right now but I guarantee there will be many billion dollar grossers in their future. MCU and DC are both capable of being fine and successful for many decades to come (Not saying that will be, just that they could be). 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I agree with both of you on the article - I think it's clear the writer was pushing an agenda and trying to make it as scandalous as possible for clicks - but it was also revealed a lot about how Marvel leadership has been handling things the past couple of years. 

Marvel will definitely continue in some form, as there's still so much source material to mine now that they have the X-Men and Fantastic Four back. But let's be real: they'll be having some serious second thoughts about anything from their forthcoming slate that hasn't started filming. I still think a lot of the riskier projects like Blade and Thunderbolts are going to get scrapped once The Marvels bombs. I think they'll try to end this saga as quickly as possible and then try a fresh start or a soft reboot with the properties they retrieved from Fox.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

so Marvel can just brush off what is likely going to be one of the biggest bombs of all time with no changes? 

Guaranteed the changes are already in motion (just look at how they're marketing Echo so early), especially with how poor the marketing is for this film. Like, sure, they're marketing it, but they're doing what seems to be the bare minimum.

• Like 1