XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

9 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

If he's given a great script and great actors to work with, then he can truly create a classic. 

He can’t direct actors AT ALL, he’d probably get a bad performance from day lewis

• Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

It is kinda funny how like a month ago everyone was like "who asked for

Echo, nobody wants this, they need to write off the entire show for tax purposes" and then the trailer comes out and it's literally the exact thing people have been asking for since Daredevil 

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 1

Interesting thought. The films which have done well post endgame have all dealt with what post end game is.

Strange and Guardians both deal with this and its a major plot element to both. Maybe the error was treating Endgame as its own 'phase' and this a new 'phase' which really just ignored what went before.

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don't care how good his 80 million dollar movie looks. Gareth Edwards is Zack Snyder minus the frat bro edgelord nonsense. As Lady Gaga sang, he's sha-ha, sha-ha-llow. I don't want him directing any film that I'm looking forward to. Thank goodness The Creator flopped, if only to keep him away from good projects. 

That's your opinion and that's fair. My opinion though is that I like him as a blockbuster director, he makes stuff I have fun watching and apparently he can keep to a budget, which I think Marvel needs right now.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nicson said:

In before Echo flops like Secret Invasion

It costs probably a quarter the budget so even if it did exactly the same numbers st premiere (which, since all episodes release at once, it likely won't}, it'll still have done well. And if Marvels confidence in the show is as founded as it seems to be, it should do fine. Especially with a TV-MA.

On that note, a while back Marvel filed a bunch of their pilots with the trademark office, with tentative dates. Some were vague (Daredevils listed basically as "sometime in January 2025") but Echo has one that was more specific, which it turns out is the actual release date, January 10th. X-Men 97, which was also listed, was January 3rd. If that's true then Echo probably isn't the only show doing a binge release.

Edited by SpiderByte

After learning about how they didn't know if Tobey and Andrew were gonna be in No Way Home and they still started filming, I'm beginning to think the MCU was based on luck. They've made some great movies, Endgame, Black Panther, Guardians, but the new book is exposing how unprofessional the productions are. Perlmutter was an idiot seeing as his refusal for a Black Panther movie almost resulted in them missing out on 2 billion dollars, but I can't help but feel he kept a leash on Feige. I'm not ready to say the MCU is dead, but I do believe Endgame was the peak.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

The MCU was based on Kevin Fiege and whoever else oversees the films being great at their jobs. It was never meticulously planned out. They only did Civil War to compete with BvS and Civil War was still the much better film. People thought that theory was just Snyder fans making things up but they weren't. The secret to Marvel Studios was always good improvisation, not meticulous planning. That's Kevin Feige's genius. 

EDIT: Ike Perlmutter is a disgusting old racist who hindered the MCU because he was obsessed with toy sales above all else. Stop trying to give him a reevaluation.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

I honestly think the only big change coming for Marvel is probably more reasonable budgets. Echo clearly isn't as expensive as, say, Hawkeye, and Blades already being aimed in the 100 mil range. Having a few more animated projects will probably help (not that animation is cheap, but I'm guessing Polygon Pictures costs a lot less than ILM and WETA)

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

I honestly think the only big change coming for Marvel is probably more reasonable budgets. Echo clearly isn't as expensive as, say, Hawkeye, and Blades already being aimed in the 100 mil range. Having a few more animated projects will probably help (not that animation is cheap, but I'm guessing Polygon Pictures costs a lot less than ILM and WETA)

if that's the only big change then I'm expecting everything but Deadpool and spider-man to bomb or flop 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol no. Perlmutter wanted to fire Feige. That's not "kept on a leash".

And as long as Feiges in charge, the "Is the MCU shut down?" conversation isn't worth entertaining.

The MCU won’t be over (think a hard reboot is way more likely than other care to admit) but if say the next few movies don’t do well including something maybe, if Iger says do a hard reboot or reevaluate further, Feige will do it.

43 minutes ago, YM! said:

The MCU won’t be over (think a hard reboot is way more likely than other care to admit) but if say the next few movies don’t do well including something maybe, if Iger says do a hard reboot or reevaluate further, Feige will do it.

I dunno. I think it'd go more the Star Wars route, where they just focus on shows for a bit, or more stuff like X-Men 97 where it's not in the "main" continuity, rather than just abgard reset on everything 

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Lol no. Perlmutter wanted to fire Feige. That's not "kept on a leash".

And as long as Feiges in charge, the "Is the MCU shut down?" conversation isn't worth entertaining.

after The Marvels becomes one of the biggest bombs of all time it will be time to have that discussion. This dude thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Quantumania was a banger , and that Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 3
  • Knock It Off 2

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

after The Marvels becomes one of the biggest bombs of all time it will be time to have that discussion. This dude thought Eternals was Oscar worthy, Quantumania was a banger , and that Captain Marvel was going to be the new face of the MCU

No, it won't. Even if Captain Marvel did as bad as everyone else here expects, that's hardly a problem on the level of firing Feige. Kathleen Kennedy can't get a single Star Wars movie into production since 2019, but The Marvels is going to get Feige instantly fired? Get off the acid. They aren't going to jettison someone who built a multi billion dollar franchise because of a few Variety articles and an opening weekend.

Iger moved the entire studio under WDS to keep Feige from quitting. It's gonna take a lot, lot, lot more than The Marvels to get Feige fired.

Edited by SpiderByte

I think it's pretty safe at this point to say DeadPool 3 will not be sold or marketed as a MCU movie even if they will be setting up Secret Wars and have the TVA from Loki in it. It will be sold as the teamup movie for the two most popular characters from the X men Fox verse

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I mean I agree that the overall fix it in post mentality doesn’t work and there needs to be an overhaul on how MCU does production but that’s like saying let’s throw away Jennifer Lee at WDAS because Strange World died awfully or Chris Melandandri should’ve not had a job because Hop did awful. Feige help make Disney into the juggernaut it once was.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I think it's pretty safe at this point to say DeadPool 3 will not be sold or marketed as a MCU movie even if they will be setting up Secret Wars and have the TVA from Loki in it. It will be sold as the teamup movie for the two most popular characters from the X men Fox verse

Based on the description of the plot it's kind of not possible to pretend Marvel Studios isn't making it.