XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I really disagree with that being the main reason. A minor reason out of many? Sure, there was a higher than usual apathy (and some hate) towards her, but the first movie was well received back then, and I’m pretty sure there were at least 10 reasons for this one bombing that were bigger than any apathy towards her. Some of these reasons were actually responsible for the apathy in fact 

Lack of interest (apathy) in the lead character is the main reason why this flopped. Lack of interest could be for different reasons, like not having an image of a big character, hate for the character among the fandom, not being an established character, the first movie being medicore, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Some of these MCU predictions are extreme knee jerk reactions 

“Sub $500M Avengers 5”? 

I’ve seen some people on Reddit say Deadpool 3 is going below $600M WW! 

Everything is possible now, a year ago no one believed a Marvel movie with brand name was going to flop harder than John Carter. 

Even if they include Tobey, my man Sam potentially directing Avengers movies bums me out a bit. If he has to do a 'One for them, one for me,' I'd rather it were for something kookier like Doctor Strange 3 or even Fantastic 4. These Avengers movies are far removed from the earnest 60s/70s fanboy that he is. 

4 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

Newest rumor is a Wiccan series that will lead into a Scarlet Witch movie. If that's true they didn't learn a single thing about Marvels bombing.

Well it would certainly give credibility to my "if Dax was Kevin Feige" Marvel slate I posted a few pages back. I have a Scarlet Witch movie in there somewhere... 😂

1 hour ago, Willowra said:

Lack of interest (apathy) in the lead character is the main reason why this flopped. Lack of interest could be for different reasons, like not having an image of a big character, hate for the character among the fandom, not being an established character, the first movie being medicore, etc.

I agree. Lots of people say it's because of the shows, and only because of that, but I think it's mostly because the characters are just uninteresting to the GA. So they don't even seek the shows out.

If people WANT to watch something something, even if it's a TV show, they WILL. The lack of interest is precisely because of what you said: nobody cares about those characters.

30 minutes ago, Belakor said:

Everything is possible now, a year ago no one believed a Marvel movie with brand name was going to flop harder than John Carter. 

No one believed The Marvels could make under $400M in August.

It has been really unexpected.

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

I really disagree with that being the main reason. A minor reason out of many? Sure, there was a higher than usual apathy (and some hate) towards her, but the first movie was well received back then, and I’m pretty sure there were at least 10 reasons for this one bombing that were bigger than any apathy towards her. Some of these reasons were actually responsible for the apathy in fact 

If the character has a really good reception, there would be people interested on seeing the continuation of her adventures.

We always speak that Guardias of the Galaxy 3 was saved by the good reception (which is true). However, even before the good reviews started, the interest was a lot bigger than The Marvels.

About the need to make "homework" to understand a movie, I think people exagerate the effect it could have on fans.

People could fear they need to see other shows to understand a movie, but it isn't so weird they just skip these shows (and still go to see the movie). In the Infinity saga, many people who saw Endgame didn't see all the previous movies.

The issue is always about lack of interest. If you're interested in a brand or character, you will make or skip the "homework" and go to see the movie.

Edited by Kon

A lot of people seem shocked for...some reason? Right after it's reported the director of Multiverse of Madness is in the running for Kang and Secret Wars, the writer of Multiverse of Madness and Secret Wars being involved shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Edited by SpiderByte

24 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Remember all those theories that Marvel hates Waldron after Multiverse of Madness?

My "below Josstice League" joke might actually happen now :ohmygod:

What a bunch of stubborn mules. They've learned absolutely nothing from the past couple of years and it just boggles my mind.

• Like 1