XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

Just now, John Marston said:

With what? Deadpool? That’s like saying No Way Home’s success guaranteed The Marvels would do well

How so? The X-Men still being able to bring in box office will be pretty good considering theyre doing a full on X-Men movie. I think we'll get a Mutant Saga before they even consider a hard reboot.

Something interesting that kind of got lost in the mix with the Kang Majors drama: the rumor that Marvels doing a Brotherhood movie. I think it's a very, very good idea and I hope it's true. Magneto and the Brotherhood have been in several movies as the villains, so just going straight back to that well wouldn't feel fresh. A movie where the Brotherhood is out and out the protagonist, potentially without the X-Men involved at all? That'd make the conflict between Magneto and Xavier much more fresh after the very very rehashed arguments from the previous movies.

Wonder Man's also in the middle of a retool, allegedly (though it had only been filming for about a month before it shut down during the writers strike so it's not quite as extensive as Born Against retool). Donofrios statements also implied that Spotlight is Marvels R rated branding, so if Wonder Man is Spotlight too I wonder if they might be going for an MA rating as well

I really hate the framing that the Marvel movies are flopping because they didn't make a billion dollars. A billion dollars is not the goal, making a profit is. Ant-Man and The Wasp Quantumania box office isn't disappointing because it didn't make a billion, it's disappointing because it either only broke even or made very little profit solely because people didn't like it. It opened well. If it were good it was looking at 600-650M. Same for The Marvels, the problem isn't that it didn't make a billion. It was never making a billion even in the best circumstances. The issue is that it didn't hit the bare medium for a sequel to a 1.1 billion dollar film. 700M would have been a good number for the film but that didn't happen for a myriad of reasons. I just hate this Disney must make a billion idea. 

Marvels is releasing on Digital next week and physical media in Feb(Not sure why studios are prioritizing digital over physical media). There is no mention of Disney Plus date and that is good. Release theatrical movies on streaming only 6 months after release. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Disney+ has released their February schedule, so it very well could come to the service next month, and I think it probably will.

I know they're not the main characters, but it's black history month and you have Samuel L. Jackson and Teyonah Parris. 

16 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Marvels is releasing on Digital next week and physical media in Feb(Not sure why studios are prioritizing digital over physical media). There is no mention of Disney Plus date and that is good. Release theatrical movies on streaming only 6 months after release.

This is what I've been saying for a while now. I doubt they'll listen though. They're too shortsighted.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:23 AM, SpiderByte said:

Wonder Man's also in the middle of a retool, allegedly (though it had only been filming for about a month before it shut down during the writers strike so it's not quite as extensive as Born Against retool). Donofrios statements also implied that Spotlight is Marvels R rated branding, so if Wonder Man is Spotlight too I wonder if they might be going for an MA rating as well

Like anybody bought the Kingpin being killed at the end of 'Hawkeye".

I have like dD'Onofrio ever since  Private Pyle in "Full Metal Jacket". 

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/echo/s01

looks like Echo is another Marvel dud 

I don't know if I'm going to take much stock from these early reviews, good or bad. I mean, the first bad review I read starts with "Sorry Marvel, this series is falling on deaf ears." Is that supposed to be a joke, because... isn't the actor, as well as the character, deaf?

EDIT: Oh wow, the show literally premiered today. Oof. Still gonna check it out myself, but I can't trust any rotten tomatoes critics on films or shows where diversity is a major aspect. Good reviews lean too far into social justice reasons for liking something, while bad reviews tend to get on the "woke" train.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/echo/s01

looks like Echo is another Marvel dud 

That was obvious when they announced it as a full season drop. There was apparently a report last summer that this was initially an 8 episode show that got cut down. I'll give marvel's PR team a lot of credit for getting good PR from the initial tease of the show but the simplest answer was always that this is a clunker. 

I'll throw people the generic "RT scores for tv are fairly meaningless" but Disney's decision to make this a one-shot drop was a very costly signal. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 7:44 PM, keysersoze123 said:

"EST" was about 67% larger than packaged media sales in 2022 (last year we got physical media rentals & sales split) and VOD rentals is 4x as large as physical rental. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

That was obvious when they announced it as a full season drop. There was apparently a report last summer that this was initially an 8 episode show that got cut down. I'll give marvel's PR team a lot of credit for getting good PR from the initial tease of the show but the simplest answer was always that this is a clunker. 

I'll throw people the generic "RT scores for tv are fairly meaningless" but Disney's decision to make this a one-shot drop was a very costly signal. 

Oh yeah, it was an all-at-once drop. That's the telltale sign. Always has been. Still is. Unless it's Netflix. Wednesday was an all-at-once drop.