XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

28 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

I can't believe how big of a BOMB this is. This is a sequel to a billion dollar movie only 4 years ago and its going to drop off 75% from that movie. This isnt the general audience just not giving a shit about this movie it's MCU fans not giving a shit about it as well.  When trash like Thor 4 and Antman 3 still opened to 100 million plus domestic this opens to 40-45m, like  WTF, this is just a straight up disaster no way to spin it.  Its going to have a hard time making more than The Incredible Hulk from 15 years ago. The Marvels is going to sell half the tickets of The Incredible Hulk. An all time fail

I say hardcore fans are not giving shit, and the female audiences don't like pandering. Females like to watch a female-male combo, a male-female combo, or all-male leads, but not all-female leads movies.

Edited by Willowra

7 minutes ago, Willowra said:

I say hardcore fans are not giving shit, and the female audiences don't like pandering. Females like to watch a female-male combo, a male-female combo, or all-male leads, but not all-female leads movies.

It's undeniable than male characters could be extremely popular between female audience. For example, Ken is extremely popular in Barbie movie.

However, I wouldn't say all-female leads movies couldn't work for a female audience. The concept just really need to be attractive for women.

Edited by Kon

8 minutes ago, Kon said:

It's undeniable than male characters could be extremely popular between female audience. For example, Ken is extremely popular in Barbie movie.

However, I wouldn't say all-female leads movies couldn't work for a female audience. It just really need to be attractive for women.

Ocean's 8 did 297m but it had some very popular actresses; but here neither Brie Larson is much popular nor Captain Marvel.

• Founder / Operator

I know there's going to be a lot of negativity flowing about The Marvels' opening this weekend, so I'm just popping in to contribute a bit of optimism and (perhaps) perspective that this absolute low-point for MCU's box office is occurring at the same time as what is, IMHO, one of its creative peaks with the culmination of Loki's second season on Disney+.

It doesn't get more ironic than that. But it gives me hope that Marvel still has plenty of foundation to build on and right the ship over the next 12-18 months now that the strikes are over.

• Like 3

Just now, Shawn said:

I know there's going to be a lot of negativity flowing about The Marvels' opening this weekend, so I'm just popping in to contribute a bit of optimism and (perhaps) perspective that this absolute low-point for MCU's box office is occurring at the same time as what is, IMHO, one of its peaks with the culmination of Loki's second season on Disney+.

It doesn't get more ironic than that. But it gives me hope that Marvel still has plenty of foundation to build on and right the ship over the next 12-18 months now that the strikes are over.

Speaking about Loki, I couldn't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure the Loki show is popular between a female aidience.

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

I know there's going to be a lot of negativity flowing about The Marvels' opening this weekend, so I'm just popping in to contribute a bit of optimism and (perhaps) perspective that this absolute low-point for MCU's box office is occurring at the same time as what is, IMHO, one of its creative peaks with the culmination of Loki's second season on Disney+.

The thing with the MCU and one of its big advantage is that it's more than just a single franchise so they can ride out The Marvels and next year's quieter slate with Deadpool 3 getting things back on track.

Deadpool being Ryan Reynold's baby means that I suspect Kevin Feige is more hands off compared to something like The Marvels and I could see it being the MCU's Aquaman in that it's a big hit coming off a disaster the year before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Why do you think females aren't much interested in The Marvels? Is it because females don't like pandering, or is it because Brie Larson and Captain Marvel are not very popular among females, or is it because trailers weren't attractive, or is it because the title change from Captain Marvel to The Marvels caused a brand recognition problem, or is it a combination of all these factors?

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

No matter what I swear to God I never, ever want to hear the "marvel needs to take a year off" bullshit ever again now that theyre doing it for the third time.

You come off as overly defensive about all things MCU. You really can't see a benefit in letting things rest for a year? The audience is showing clear signs of fatigue and you want Marvel to crap out four movies a year?

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, Willowra said:

Why do you think females aren't much interested in The Marvels? Is it because females don't like pandering, or is it because Brie Larson and Captain Marvel are not very popular among females, or is it because trailers weren't attractive, or is it because the title change from Captain Marvel to The Marvels caused a brand recognition problem, or is it a combination of all these factors?

I don't think The Marvels' box office problem comes down solely to a gender issue.

In the wake of Quantumania and Secret Invasion's reception this year, not to mention DSITMOM and Thor last year, this kind of result or something similar would probably happen with any character that isn't as embedded into pop culture familiarity as others are and with a film whose marketing did very little suggest it had a hook that would differentiate it from the things audiences have been disappointed with in several comic book movies over the last few years.

Case in point: I firmly believe we're going to similar results from Aquaman 2 next month, and have thought that for a very long time.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The thing with the MCU and one of its big advantage is that it's more than just a single franchise so they can ride out The Marvels and next year's quieter slate with Deadpool 3 getting things back on track.

Agreed. I have DP3 pegged as next year's biggest movie at the moment.

I honestly don’t get why they’re doing four films next year even with it being highly likely something gets pushed back. If they’re trying to stop content overload, I don’t think four films that year is the right move.

Deadpool 3 should be big but got a feeling it’ll be more akin to NWH/WF/Guardians in that it’ll be big but not enough to drive hype for the others.

3 minutes ago, YM! said:

I honestly don’t get why they’re doing four films next year even with it being highly likely something gets pushed back. If they’re trying to stop content overload, I don’t think four films that year is the right move.

Deadpool 3 should be big but got a feeling it’ll be more akin to NWH/WF/Guardians in that it’ll be big but not enough to drive hype for the others.

I think DP3 will be the highest grossing of the DP films and possibly might be leg it if there is no competition in August.

Between Thunderbolts and Blade, it'd be easier to can the former. Blade being a darker character is an easier sell. 

I honestly don't think 2025 will actually have 4 films. Most likely one or two of them will get pushed back at some point. I suspect they know that but want to maintain those dates to give themselves maximum flexibility this far out.

DP3 is going to be exceptionally important for them to nail because it's not only coming after a very troubled year for the studio but also because it's their next anchor film for the Multiverse Saga and the previous two (MoM and Quantumania) did not meet expectations. 

As for righting the ship, the biggest thing is the movies have to be good. Some of the other stuff matters but not nearly as much as that.

27 minutes ago, TommyOliver said:

You come off as overly defensive about all things MCU. You really can't see a benefit in letting things rest for a year? The audience is showing clear signs of fatigue and you want Marvel to crap out four movies a year?

No, I'm saying that they've already done it before with covid for two years. And now they're doing it again. After already six months of having shut down production with the strike. And restarting production on Daredevil from almost scratch. So if at the end of next year we still have to hear about how "why don't they just shut down production"

Edited by SpiderByte

37 minutes ago, Kon said:

Speaking about Loki, I couldn't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure the Loki show is popular between a female audience.

I'm not going to look for it and it might not even exist but I think Parrot Analytics had a public article/study a little while ago graphing shows on popularity with gender axes

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

No, I'm saying that they've already done it before with covid for two years. And now they're doing it again. After already six months of having shut down production with the strike. And restarting production on Daredevil from almost scratch. So if at the end of next year we still have to hear about how "why don't they just shut down production"

Only the WUMs on here want Marvel to make no content for a while and TBH it's not likely, they were always be Marvel content in some form every year. We have three SSU films for example plus Echo in 2024.

Even Batman and Superman which went through periods of no movies still had TV series whether live action or animated.

8 hours ago, Masketta Man said:

Thunderbolts should be canned or at least retooled so it isn't so connected to a bunch of projects no one cares about. If people complained about the "homework" for watching Marvels, just imagine T-Bolts, that have major connections to:

Ant-Man and Wasp

Black Widow

Eternals

Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Hawkeye

Captain America 4

By the time the movie comes out, those projects will be between 4 and 7 years past it, it's just absurd.

Sorry for being overtly very negative about Thunderbolts in this board, but it's my favorite comic book by far and I'm desperate that it will be an Eternals level failure and it will kill the team for good in media.

As a big Thunderbolts fan, how would you go about making a Thunderbolts movie?

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

But what does Phase 5 even mean?  Nothing, as far as the audience is concerned.

If you ask them when and how and why Phase 4 ended and Phase 5 started, they'd have no idea.

Same if you end with Thunderbolts as Phase 5.

If no one wants to D+ Cap America and Thunderbolts as singular movies, just turn them into Season 2 and 3 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  It would be just as sensible story-wise as their 1st season...and folks would be way less critical (and Disney would lose way less money) just cutting it up into a somewhat sensible series form and moving on to other movies in 2025.

I wouldn’t mind those movies being D+ shows instead, I even think Cap America makes sense to be the second season of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I think Disney is done making tv shows connected to MCU movies now.

5 hours ago, tdangie said:

Am I bad for praying that Disney makes Tom Holland the face of the Avengers (or young Avengers??) because of their recent poor BO results. I have no clue if Sony will allow that (surely there's a $$$ amount that's enough), but if there's one Marvel character that appeals to Gen Z and Gen Alpha audiences its HIM.  
You Betcha Tonight Show GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Can’t they just cast another famous young actor(s) as a superhero instead of relying on just one? Fantastic Four and X-Men should give them the opportunity for that…

4 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Is getting a never ending string of bombs really a more healthy solution? The reality the MCU is in right now is that it's in the same state as the DCEU, if not worse. At some point Marvel really needs that Star Wars break and a long period where no Marvel films are released so that they can calibrate their future direction. What exactly does Marvel and Disney hope to achieve in releasing movies which most people can see bombing years away?

Same state as the DCU? Bullshit.

59 minutes ago, Kon said:

1 hour ago, Kon said:

However, I wouldn't say all-female leads movies couldn't work for a female audience. The concept just really need to be attractive for women.

Yeah, it’s so weird to say women don’t like movies led by other women. It’s way more about the concept indeed.

13 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I think Joker will pip it. But also I think we don't have any billion dollar films next year.

Something relatively unexpected always pops up in the BO.

Edited by Arlborn

• Founder / Operator
11 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

I think Joker will pip it. But also I think we don't have any billion dollar films next year.

Interesting... I think DP3 can get to $1B+. I have big expectations for Joker as well, just not quite as high. It all depends on quality, though.