Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

4 minutes ago, Halberstram said:

One of the best movie that I've seen in theaters in a while. But, the bar is not high for I've been only watched Action Blockbuster and Oppenheimer in theaters

The word-of-mouth is glowing on this one. This kind of feel-good heart warming crowd-please would easily got 50m-60m. Too bad they didn't poll cinemascore for this one. I wonder if it is A+.  

The audience was 51% male, 49% female and “is definitely the over-45 crowd,” Bunnell said. It has strong word of mouth and it’s playing very well in classic arthouses. “I do think you are getting older folks back to the movies. They are more comfortable going back into theaters. But I also think it’s the film – set in the ‘70s, in a different era where movies were more human more relatable.”

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

The word-of-mouth is glowing on this one. This kind of feel-good heart warming crowd-please would easily got 50m-60m. Too bad they didn't poll cinemascore for this one. I wonder if it is A+.  

I might refund some Napoleon tickets and watch it again. It's that comforting of a movie. One from a begone era. Probably something that I'll revisit every Christmas time. 

I knew Disney was fudging those estimates to stay above “double digits” and in the top 3 for appearances sake to the media. Geez what an unmitigated disaster for The Marvels. When I said 80% drop going into the weekend, I was rounding up and what I really meant was a weekend around 11m. The fact that it went below 10 and Morbius’ 2nd weekend number… 

It is nice to finally settle the whole CM benefited massively from Endgame tie-in stuff from 2019 though when some were insisting that wasn’t true. No chance in hell it wasn’t true, this kind of plummet just isn’t possible otherwise. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is nice to finally settle the whole CM benefited massively from Endgame tie-in stuff from 2019 though when some were insisting that wasn’t true. No chance in hell it wasn’t true, this kind of plummet just isn’t possible otherwise. 

I agree, this performance is a big indicator that this was the case. And it always made complete sense: The time between Infinity War and Endgame was the MCU at peak hype level. Even a movie like Ant-Man and the Wasp was able to profit from it (a reminder, that (imo very bad) movie made 622M). Captain Marvel benefitted heavily from beeing seen as the final movie before the big finale and it was also emphasized by Marvel and the marketing that the character was important for Endgame.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I agree, this performance is a big indicator that this was the case. And it always made complete sense: The time between Infinity War and Endgame was the MCU at peak hype level. Even a movie like Ant-Man and the Wasp was able to profit from it (a reminder, that (imo very bad) movie made 622M). Captain Marvel benefitted heavily from beeing seen as the final movie before the big finale and it was also emphasized by Marvel and the marketing that the character was important for Endgame.

Yes, the latter is the important part. Unlike AMATW which didn’t market any real connection. Sure it rode some of the goodwill, but that’s entirely different than your success being directly tied to the phenomenon that is a different movie. 

Edited by MovieMan89

11 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yes, the latter is the important part. Unlike AMATW which didn’t market any real connection. Sure it rode some of the goodwill, but that’s entirely different than your success being directly tied to the phenomenon that is a different movie. 

There was also the first female lead MCU promotion for Captain Marvel, which likely attracted a bigger female audience than regular for a MCU movie (although the male audience was still bigger).

In The Marvels, the female audience doesn't seem to be interested.

Just now, Kon said:

There was also the first female lead MCU promotion for Captain Marvel, which likely attracted a bigger female audience than regular for a MCU movie (although the male audience was still bigger).

In The Marvels, the female audience doesn't seem to be interested.

The thing is that we know the first movie skewed more male than a movie like Wonder Woman did (which didn’t market any explicit “first female” angle). 

31 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The thing is that we know the first movie skewed more male than a movie like Wonder Woman did (which didn’t market any explicit “first female” angle). 

However, Wonder Woman is an iconic female character who had never been the lead on a movie until that point. That should call women attention in itself.

I also think the Wonder Woman movie was more appealing for the female audience than Captain Marvel, but that don't tend to be the main attractive for the first weekend.

Now, I'm just saying the first MCU female lead promotion attracted more women to Captain Marvel than regular MCU movies. I also think Captain Marvel being promoted with a connection to Endgame still attracted the most MCU fans.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

Captain Marvel had the best movie tie In Movie History.

The ending of Infinity War had the biggest plot Twist for a major blockbuster in a generation. 

Everyone was wondering what will happen next and Captain Marvel was seen as key to what happens next.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it's clear RDJ and pure momentum helped drive the MCU and Kevin Feige gets too much credit

I never expected MCU first mega bomb is the movie with "Marvels" literally in its title. BOSS opening lower than the Marvels is the only consolation prize they have.

14 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it's clear RDJ and pure momentum helped drive the MCU and Kevin Feige gets too much credit

I don’t think that’s true. Feige did a pretty incredible job masterminding an outline for the saga and that’s exactly what we’re seeing is missing now. The overall vision (or lack of) sucks. RDJ wasn’t involved in way too many Infinity Saga hits for him to be the sole driving factor. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I don’t think that’s true. Feige did a pretty incredible job masterminding an outline for the saga and that’s exactly what we’re seeing is missing now. The overall vision (or lack of) sucks. RDJ wasn’t involved in way too many Infinity Saga hits for him to be the sole driving factor. 

People act like the MCU was a one man show. Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon (who rewrote the entire Avengers script), James Gunn, and the Russos and writers Markus and McFeely really carried the Infinity Saga and none of them are involved now, Feige was under supervision until 2019. I'm not saying bring back Perlmutter or anything like that, but it is clear Feige unleashed does not equate to constant hits

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

People act like the MCU was a one man show. Jon Favreau, Joss Whedon (who rewrote the entire Avengers script), James Gunn, and the Russos and writers Markus and McFeely really carried the Infinity Saga and none of them are involved now, Feige was under supervision until 2019. I'm not saying bring back Perlmutter or anything like that, but it is clear Feige unleashed does not equate to constant hits

Yeah, of course many others made it possible. It still sounds like Feige was a big idea guy with an overall map though. And I’ve been saying for the last two years he didn’t have a game plan after EG and is tired and that’s why we’re here. I just have no idea if he wants to admit those things or not. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I already said people overestimate the role of Kevin Feige but many come to say "he built infinity saga!"

The first two phase was more rely on creative people incl Jon Favreau & Joss Whedon. Marvel never had a very clear idea about Infinity saga until later stage. Fanboys just believed it was created by one great leader, and that guy in chair will make another.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah no to bringing back a truly rancid human being like Permulter. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Marvel never had a very clear idea about Infinity saga until later stage. Fanboys just believed it was created by one great leader, and that guy in chair will make another.

Nope, they most definitely had an rough outline of what they wanted by 2011. Infinity stones have been littered throughout their movies since the first Captain America. Too bad they expended most of their highest quality comicbook storylines and have yet to show the capability of creating interesting and fresh storylines by themselves. 

• Like 1