Wonka (2023)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

This was rather delightful. I'm not entirely sure it's successful as a musical since the only memorable tunes ("Pure Imagination" and "Oompa Loompa") come from the original movie, but it's the equally weird and charming confection that a more modern-ish take on Willy Wonka should be. Beautiful production design. Oh, and chocolate. So much delicious-looking chocolate!

I wasn't entirely sure Timothee Chalamet was the right actor for the eccentric chocolate maker when this was first announced through the marketing campaign, but while it's debatable how strong his singing voice actually is (there are times where he definitely sounds very much autotuned), he otherwise excels in the part. He manages to provide his own interpretation of the character that withstands comparisons to Gene Wilder and Johnny Depp, and his spirited performance is arguably one of the movie's strengths. Also helps that he's surrounded by a talented supporting cast that adds to the experience as well, including Hugh Grant stealing his handful of scenes as an Oompa Loompa.

It may not be a new classic musical but it's heartwarming without being cloying, making for a magical time at the movies with the whole family around the holidays.

B+

• Like 2

The way everything comes together when he can finally read the note from his mother--"It's not about the chocolate, it's about the people you share it with"--and how that concludes the themes of this movie and leads into the original?? Just brilliant. It actually made me cry. The movie was a real delight overall. 

• Like 1

@Eric Owns Mickey Mouse I cried, hubs.

This was so good. Loved the music, loved the look. Thought it was strong acting across the board, with many people stealing scenes here and there. The last act...I was so emotional. Just hearing the first notes of Pure Imagination, I got emotional.

Did not realize how much the original really had an impact on me, same goes for the one with Freddie Highmore. But, when he read the messages in the chocolate from his mother, I was very touched.

When Noodle reunites with her mother? Pure holiday magic. I recommend it.

• Heart 1