Issac Newton

Aquaman &The Lost Kingdom | $294.6M OS | $412.7M WW

22 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Now suddenly Fast X drop F8 (60%+) and MI7 from MI6 (70%) looks ok. A2's 246m now look huge in post-Covid.  

Guardians 3 performance seems really great now. Even grossed more than Vol. 1 in China. Perhaps divisive films like MoM, Thor 4 not releasing there helped relative to other Hollywood franchises.

9 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Guardians 3 performance seems really great now. Even grossed more than Vol. 1 in China. Perhaps divisive films like MoM, Thor 4 not releasing there helped relative to other Hollywood franchises.

Deserved because Guardians 3 is such a great film.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dallas said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it opened #1 in Spain and Germany

Not sure if Germany even posts OD since usually I just see the weekend off insidekino, it missed in Spain though. Granted pretty close but Wonka opened a week early in those markets so Aquaman lost to Wonka's third wednesday 😅

34 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Not sure if Germany even posts OD since usually I just see the weekend off insidekino, it missed in Spain though. Granted pretty close but Wonka opened a week early in those markets so Aquaman lost to Wonka's third wednesday 😅

But aren’t most of those markets getting a boost because of school holidays? 

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

idk why I typed Germany lol. I meant France.

Deadline.com: 

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom began offshore rollout on Wednesday, and with numbers through Friday included has grossed $40.9M in 73 international box office markets. This portends a full overseas opening in the $70M range. With domestic’s three- and four-day, the global start will top $100M.

The Top 5 markets on Aquaman 2 through Friday are China ($13.9M), Mexico ($3.4M), Brazil ($1.9M), Indonesia ($1.9M) and France ($1.6M).

UK debuted on Thursday, with $712K, ranking as the runner-up behind the strong continued performance of Wonka.

Germany also kicked off on Thursday, taking $520K on 589 screens and ranking No. 1.

• Like 2

China, which has been more than tepid towards Hollywood fare, was a bit of good news for Aquaman 2. At $30.4M, the start is the biggest superhero opening of 2023, coming in 16% over Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and 68% ahead of Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania. It also performed more than double The Batman, The Flash, The Marvels and Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.

Aquaman 2 will not hit the highs of the original in China, but this is the first time in a while that a studio movie has led the weekend. It’s projected to hit a final of $45M, per Maoyan. The end of the year is mostly reserved for local titles.

Overall, Aquaman 2 performed best in Asia where it was the top Hollywood movie in every market. Singapore nabbed the biggest WB opening weekend of 2023, and in Malaysia and Indonesia, A2 was the 2nd biggest opening for a WB movie this year. In Taiwan, it was the biggest opening weekend for a superhero movie in 2023.

performed best in Asia

21 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

James Wan tour to Malaysia (James Wan is born in Malaysia) really help the movie. Aquaman opened to 2.1m here, which isn't too far behind Avatar's opening last year (3.0m). If Malaysia is any guide, Aquaman 2 should have gross 1.6bn WW.  

Yep. It was also boosted in Brazil by its marketing at CCXP

1 hour ago, dallas said:

Yep. It was also boosted in Brazil by its marketing at CCXP

But Brazil's 2.8m is still far cry from 8.6m of what ATWOW opened last year. Some parts of Asia really are really into Aquaman. Indonesia' 3.6m is also quite close to Avatar (4.9m). Likewise for Singapore, the OW there is bigger than barbie. 

Singapore nabbed the biggest WB opening weekend of 2023, and in Malaysia and Indonesia, A2 was the 2nd biggest opening for a WB movie this year. In Taiwan, it was the biggest opening weekend for a superhero movie in 2023.

Edited by titanic2187
  • Thanks 1