Eric S'ennui

Han and Eric's Doom and Gloom/Controversial Predictions of 2024

December 25

Nosferatu: Feels like an easy candidate for major hype amongst movie nerds and even casuals, but it’s just too much or too weird for normal audiences. I’m obviously excited as Eggers is the GOAT, but don’t expect too much. 7 (OD)/30

So that’s all my predictions. And uh...I’ll be honest, going through each month, I suppose, if my predictions come to light, it’s not that bad. 2024 does look like it will have some bad months, and there sadly doesn’t seem to be any huge, epic juggernaut that we saw almost every year since 2015. We’re also still behind from the record-breaking grosses we had, where the years consistently totaled $11B+.

But as I’ve gone through this, and especially how this Christmas period has folded out, it’s important to recognize that those halcyon days when the box office was at a high are behind us...and maybe that’s okay. After years of movies being top-heavy and Disney monopolizing everything, everything being spread out means more interesting stories and the wealth being shared. Like how it should be. And perhaps that despite the incredible box office highs, greater depth, more diverse features, without one big movie clogging up the screens and attention, is what we really need.

So...yeah, this year might still suck. But I guess it’s okay for it to suck. And perhaps the lower totals can lead to greater, more interesting stories for everybody. Just gonna have to wait until next year to find all that out.

Thank you as always to @WrathOfHan for being my partner in all this. I'm excited to see the rest of your predictions in the coming days.

And thank you to everybody who replied here, gave me a like, and so on. I love doing this every year and I think it's always fun to share my own opinions that 9 times out of 9 won't pan out anyways. So I'm excited to do this all again next year. Take care fam!

• Like 8

I preferred Inside Out to Zootopia(both movies were excellent). That said I feel Zootopia played itself as a multiple movie franchise. For some weird reason, Disney took ages to come up with Sequel idea. I did not expect a sequel for Inside out. That said I was surprised when they announced Finding Dory and I loved the movie. So we have to wait and see how it goes. 

Problem these days is Disney family flicks are under performing big time. They need a huge turn around before we can predict mega blockbuster numbers. I am hopeful about Inside Out 2 based on the teaser. So if that breaks out big, Zoo 2 will also be HUGE. 

$90M/$215M for Deadpool? That would've been a reasonable OD/OW prediction or second weekend/OW prediction around 2 years ago

And there's just no chance a Deadpool + Wolverine crossover is opening that low, at LEAST $100M. But honestly? I would not be that surprised by a 120 -> 250 run or whatever. If Marvel was at May 2022 level strength right now, Deadpool w/ positive reception should be a nice 210 --> 550 or whatever but the multiverse saga is cursed (GOTG opened a solid half-ish of what it would've done a in May 2022) so I don't think you're completely off tbh 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

$90M/$215M for Deadpool? That would've been a reasonable OD/OW prediction or second weekend/OW prediction around 2 years ago

And there's just no chance a Deadpool + Wolverine crossover is opening that low, at LEAST $100M. But honestly? I would not be that surprised by a 120 -> 250 run or whatever. If Marvel was at May 2022 level strength right now, Deadpool w/ positive reception should be a nice 210 --> 550 or whatever but the multiverse saga is cursed (GOTG opened a solid half-ish of what it would've done a in May 2022) so I don't think you're completely off tbh 

Oh God taking a swig of something  for the drinking game when you bring up it's not May of 22 for Marvel anymore and how much bigger Guardians 3 would have been,  Got it. 

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Oh God taking a swig of something  for the drinking game when you bring up it's not May of 22 for Marvel anymore and how much bigger Guardians 3 would have been,  Got it. 

Tired: May 2018 was peak MCU

Wired: May 2019 was peak MCU

Inspired: May 2022 was peak MCU

May 2022 MCU hype brought a B-list solo movie to almost $200M OW with mixed reception, that's one of the most impressive feats in the franchise. It wasn't even a team up like Civil War.

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Tired: May 2018 was peak MCU

Wired: May 2019 was peak MCU

Inspired: May 2022 was peak MCU

May 2022 MCU hype brought a B-list solo movie to almost $200M OW with mixed reception, that's one of the most impressive feats in the franchise. It wasn't even a team up like Civil War.

Nobody will ever say May 22 was peak MCU. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Dude. We get it. Also since when has an R rated movie opened to 200M? 

May 2022 was never peak MCU. It was just the perfect storm for this movie. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

MoM had a lot of hype because it was billed as a follow-up to NWH that would double down on the fanservice. The fact that it wasn’t that no doubt contributed to its poor legs. 

Movies with bad writing have bad legs 😃

• Knock It Off 2

On 1/1/2024 at 12:54 PM, WrathOfHan said:

June 14

Inside Out 2: Inside Out was one of the last big original box office hits for Pixar almost 9 years ago (damn) and is often ranked high for the studio. A Pixar sequel will be met with skepticism, especially for something like Inside Out that did not command another entry. Buzz and awareness are already strong, and it has a few weeks to itself before Despicable Me is out. While 300M feels like a stretch right now, I do think it'll solidly end up in the 200s. 70/245 (3.5x)

$70M OW for Inside Out 2 would be a JL/Solo level catastrophe. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 4:07 PM, Eric the IF said:

July 26

Deadpool 3: People are still predicting big things for this, even after Marvel utterly imploded this year. But like...nah, I don’t buy that. Deadpool 3 is coming out a whopping 6 years after the last Deadpool movie. That’s an eternity in box office time. And at least the Guardians of the Galaxy popped up in other movies and had a holiday special to keep them fresh and in the conversation. Deadpool's been MIA, which only makes the uphill battle even harder. And while people are hyped for Wolverine, the X-Men movies were never Spider-Man grossers and Logan ended things perfectly for the character. Just feels crass to bring him back in a way it wasn’t for the Sony Spider-Men.

Add on all the Fox cameos for characters nobody cares about (Jennifer Garner’s Elektra returning is a big deal to nobody), and superhero movies being box office poison now, and this is going to be another disappointment for Marvel yet again. Superhero movies are dead. They should have stopped after Endgame. 90/215 (2.39x)

Well this aged very well did it huh. It needs to be Madame Web/Morbius level panned to do 215 in total now.

90/215, not impossible as OD/OW or SW/OW anymore

• Haha 1