Eric Lasagna

Han and Eric's Doom and Gloom/Controversial Predictions of 2024

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Zootopia 2 is a bomb waiting to happen unless they came up with some incredible idea for it. Absolutely no one asked for it and it’s not even the type of movie that lends itself to nostalgia or hype for a franchise, despite the success of the first at the time. Maybe China goes crazy for it again, that’s about it. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it exists solely for China tbh and to promote the newly opened Zootopia land in Shanghai. 

18 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This is @cannastop erasure. :sadno:

this is false btw. Zootopia even to this day gets great ratings for Disney Plus compared to the vast majority of the back catalog.

I think Zootopia 2 is long, long overdue though. Also China money is less assured now, with political difficulties.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I think Zootopia 2 is long, long overdue though.

BtS look at the meetings regarding greenlighitng Zootopia 2:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47cjtk0qroqtsfcyyew8

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ddcp68di5o6exutghg

Edited by Porthos
  • Astonished 1

Honestly if there's anything that still seems like a reliable hit for Disney Animation it's a Zootopia sequel.

I'm thinking that movie's not happening this year though, whatever it is. They would've announced what it was by now if they actually intended on releasing it then, I can see Wild Robot going to that slot to get it away from Transformers and maybe give it a better shot at both financial and awards success.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

So here's an off-the-cuff pros/cons regarding the box office prospects of a Zootopia sequel.

Pros: [in no particular order]

It was and still is to this day a highly memeable movie.  That goes a decent chunk of the way nowadays!

As noted by @cannastop, it regularly does rather well the Disney Trending charts (literally just under Frozen 2 at #14 as I check just now).

The central concept of Zootopia (A civilization with Anthromporphic Animals with a blend of human and animal characteristics but in a city [somewhat] designed around animal sensibilities instead of human ones) doesn't lack for potential story hooks, and is exceedingly relatable.

The movie itself is well-liked and on par with some of the giants of Pixar/WDAS as it is just a tic under Inside Out [8.1] and the exact same as The Incredibles [8.0] over at the ever-finicky IMDB (I know I know).

Probably others, but as I said, off-the-cuff

Cons: [also in no particular order]

It's... been a while since 2016 and with every passing year of no Z2 the danger of folks moving on and not caring grows (which is perhaps what MM89 was really getting at)

While the City of Zootopia itself almost certainly has a ton of story hooks, the actual story told in Zootopia itself was fairly self-contained without an immediate sequel hook [outside of the ever-popular And The Adventures Continue], which might be a problem.

There hasn't been as much clamoring on the web for a sequel to Zootopia like there was for The Incredibles or indeed Inside Out, (which is perhaps the other thing MM89 was really getting at].

Potentially other cons, but once again, off-the-cuff.

So I think it really comes down to how open folks are to either an And The Adventures Continue in regards to Judy and Nick (probably pretty open, actually!) and how much they actually liked the Central Conceit of Zootopia.

===

Do think, on balance, of all of the not-as-tapped-as-many-things IP that Disney has, this one is pretty rich in potential.  But I will admit that it is mostly that:  Potential.

Will Disney realize that Potential?  NO IDEA!  But I do think a rather clever/meme-able promo would very likely find an audience out there.

• Like 1

I don't think I'd seen a whole lot of vocal clamoring for an Inside Out sequel, it's just now that it's a public reality people are like "Oh, a sequel's coming out? Cool." I imagine that would be much the same reaction to a Zootopia followup.

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't think I'd seen a whole lot of vocal clamoring for an Inside Out sequel, it's just now that it's a public reality people are like "Oh, a sequel's coming out? Cool." I imagine that would be much the same reaction to a Zootopia followup.

In the immediate aftermath of IO (say, first 15-18 months post-release) I did seem to see a pretty strong amount of folks who wanted a sequel.  But that's a subjective take, I realize.

• Like 1

In any case we need a moratorium on the phrase "no one asked for it". If it's received well people will show up for it. I know I heard a lot of "no one asked for it" when Finding Dory was announced.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 3:54 AM, WrathOfHan said:

April 12

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire: The MonsterVerse feels like old news nowadays, especially with Godzilla Minus One being a breakout hit in the US grossing over 40% of what King of the Monsters made. Monarch on Apple has generated decent viewership for the service but is leaving no impact online whatsoever. Godzilla vs Kong benefitted from being a late stage pandemic film with a day and date launch, but even before COVID delays there were already concerns about its box office potential. This new GVK feels like something that will rely heavily on a late marketing push because there's no reason to be excited for it four months in advance. 35/90 (2.57x)

GvK would've been an easy billion dollar grosser without day and date/pandemic

• Thanks 1

It would be an absolutely abysmal tragedy if a sequel to Zootopia did poorly even in this climate. The film was beloved by many and while we don't have ratings for it, Zootopia+ was received warmly. I'd be stunned if Zootopia 2 tanked.

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

GvK would've been an easy billion dollar grosser without day and date/pandemic

I like your enthusiasm, but if this is true, hopefully people will show up for GxK. Otherwise, it'll be a sad and quiet April.

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

In any case we need a moratorium on the phrase "no one asked for it". If it's received well people will show up for it. I know I heard a lot of "no one asked for it" when Finding Dory was announced.

Toy Story 4 was even more obvious for that, same with a fifth but it'll still do the same 400/1bn as the last two

On 1/3/2024 at 11:57 PM, CJohn said:

Wolf Man is totally getting replaced by FNAF2.

One of the Blumhouse producers said just this week that FNaF 2 hasn’t even been greenlit yet. We’re not seeing that before 2025.

Edited by cookie

9 hours ago, AniNate said:

We just had a movie this holiday season that says otherwise.  While the phrase is overused, it still is true in some cases.  I don't think it applies to a Zootopia 2, but "no one asked for this" does apply for some remakes/sequels/prequels...

10 hours ago, Porthos said:

There hasn't been as much clamoring on the web for a sequel to Zootopia like there was for The Incredibles or indeed Inside Out,

people were clamoring for an Inside Out 2? I thought most people were satisfied that the first one was self contained. But since there actually will be an Inside Out 2 I guess that doesn't matter.

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

We just had a movie this holiday season that says otherwise.  While the phrase is overused, it still is true in some cases.  I don't think it applies to a Zootopia 2, but "no one asked for this" does apply for some remakes/sequels/prequels...

It mostly just reeks of prejudiced dismissal of an idea. Even if it turned out not many were that interested in a Color Purple remake, I still think it's impossible to really draw that conclusion until after the movie comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

It mostly just reeks of prejudiced dismissal of an idea. Even if it turned out not many were that interested in a Color Purple remake, I still think it's impossible to really draw that conclusion until after the movie comes out.

Nah, Nut Job Never Again was one example of a sequel no one wanted...

If Emoji Movie got one, that would be another...

There are some movies at the concept stage when you think sequel are known to be no one wanted (well, except possibly the people making them)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

December 13

Karate Kid: The 2010 Karate Kid was a big hit back in the day and Cobra Kai has kept the franchise’s longevity going way more than most probably expected. It's still a big deal with 80s kids and arguably kids of today. With enough of that nostalgia juice and some of the old cast returning, this could be a solid performer. 30/145 (4.83x)

The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim: Anime is bigger than ever and LOTR is still a loved franchise. This obviously won’t reach the heights of the Jackson movies, and being animated will limit its appeal, but this should be a modest hit, especially if reviews land. 20/110 (5.5x)

December 20

Mufasa: The Lion King: Genuinely not sure what the goal was here to make a prequel to a remake nobody liked. And frankly, I doubt Barry Jenkins was given much, if any creative control or auteurship on this feature. Disney just refuses to take risks on creative artists these days, because of capitalism. The only good thing this has going for it is that it’s in December. If it was any other month, this would have fallen like The Marvels. But now? It’ll fall like Alice 2. Good job Disney. Good job. 27/125 (4.63x)

Sonic the Hedgehog 3: I’m in the Sonic fandom. And let me tell you, that Shadow teaser at the end of the second movie was insane. The fans were going nuts, and if my screening was anything to go by, I had never seen so many 9 year olds lose their minds on a character reveal. Fans love these movies and are definitely excited to see how the trilogy ends. And...well, it’s not like there’s anything else available for people to watch this Christmas. Good on ya Sonic for being...the least awful of the December lineup. 50/215 (4.3x)

• Like 2