Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

27 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like MCU 2025 will be a repeat of DCEU 2023 where all 4 films flop

pretty insane that the dceu released 4 movies in its final year of existence 

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

It won't pass Ant-Man 3's $476M WW. I thinking like $120M+ domestic total so right around Spider-Verse's opening weekend

U always jinx something not into a yes,now i can't wait for aquaman2 to passing quantumania.

4 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

Genuinely up there with one of the worst ad campaigns ever. Even the second trailer, which actually advertised it as a comedy, had zero laughs whatsoever. Maybe it’s legging because of rock bottom expectations? That it wasn’t total garbage, which means that is good enough? It’s wild.

I saw the movie the other day and honestly found it pretty forgettable (though I remain convinced Powell is someone who would've been a certified movie star in another era - clearly not this one - still waiting for that one role that really makes good use of talents because he's bound to be overshadowed by CGI tornadoes in the Twister not-sequel?/not-remake?/not-reboot? as well), but my decent-sized crowd for a Friday afternoon chuckled quite a bit. I guess the lack of a true 4-quad blockbuster this holiday season (Wonka's doing very well but isn't coming close to setting any records, Migration is also filling a family-friendly niche but not a big one, Aquaman is only slightly less embarrassing on the "how the mighty have fallen" scale than The Marvels was, The Color Purple has ended up being a one day wonder) allowed it to not get totally lost in the shuffle despite how dumpy the marketing campaign was.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Maybe it's just me but I feel like MCU 2025 will be a repeat of DCEU 2023 where all 4 films flop

Probably. Cap 4 is totally impossible to not be a flop now with a likely 350m+ budget and no Chris Evans to boot. Thunderbolts is like a Black Widow spin off no one asked for. F4 has never translated to film before so they are already fighting a pretty big uphill battle there. And Blade… idk, oddly enough it seems like more of a niche IP now than during the OGs. I think Snipes reprising the role about 10 years ago was the way to elicit excitement for a new Blade. 

The only 2025 MCU movie I can see breaking even is Blade because it will actually have a reasonable budget, reportedly under $100M. Fantastic Four could to if the cast is as stacked as it appears to be. 

11 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ugly day today based on what I can see. Wonka/Migration dropping low 40s and Aquabro dropping 50% !! Hopefully movies held better elsewhere. 

Don't most movies have harsh drops on New Years Eve?

50 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Ugly day today based on what I can see. Wonka/Migration dropping low 40s and Aquabro dropping 50% !! Hopefully movies held better elsewhere. 

It's expected ,Aquaman 1 drop 55%

Good hold from wonka

TBH, seeing how dry January is has me thinking Aquaman probably could leg out past $120M. Not saying it's a guarantee or anything, but it's not impossible at all. If Deadline is correct with that $150M number, I can see it rivaling Ant-Man 3's total. 

If it's at ~$87M by EOD Tuesday and follows the original from there that would give it a $135M total. Even if it's at ~$85M by EOD Monday and follows Across the Spider-Verse from there (which had absolutely great word of mouth) that takes it to a $139M total. 

In fact Pitch Perfect 3 is a great comp, also released on December 22. Aquaman needs 5.42x for $150M. Pitch Perfect 3 did 5.26x. Aquaman was 139% of Pitch Perfect 3 by the end of opening weekend, but now it's 123% of Pitch Perfect 3 by the end of second Sunday assuming the $77.845M figure is accurate. It is trailing behind PP3, which suggests a multiplier lower than 5.26x, therefore placing it below $150M.

In fact Pitch Perfect 3 adjusted is a great comp (here). If it really drops 50% on the 31st and then rises ~40% on New Years Day, that would give it a ~$81.6M total by EOD Monday, which is just 2% ahead of PP3's $80.02M adjusted total by then, even though the opening weekend was 18-19% ahead of Pitch Perfect 3's adjusted opening weekend, showing its trailing behind and will most likely end below PP3's adjusted $123.14M total.

Being generous and assuming $123.14M domestic total, 38/62 split without China, and then ~$65M in China (yup), that would take it to ~$389M WW: 1% below Black Adam, 18% below Black Adam WW-China, and 18% below Quantumania's $476M. But as someone who thought this could go below Dark Phoenix's $252M I gotta say it surpassed my expectations and I underestimated the power of December holidays.

So. . .$150M domestic (and correspondingly passing Quantumania's $476M WW) is:

giphy.gif

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1