Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

7 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The reality is, ancillaries have always been the biggest profit maker for most movies. We can argue any film actually made money on ancillaries, because it's probably true no matter what movie you bring up. Okay, maybe not films like the Miley Cyrus classic LOL.

yeah, but that was because streaming took over, anything that was released was pretty much guaranteed to someday make a profit, dont think that's still the case

I'm convinced that that's what killed mid budget movies

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dallas said:

Unrelated but the box office subreddit is terrible. It's barely even box office discussion anymore as much as it is toxic faction wars. 

Well adjusted people don’t comment on reddit, so that might be why

• Like 1

I think it says it all when the two Japan movies are easily the most impressive/interesting runs of the entire holiday season. Just an overall abysmal holiday to track box office, only saved at all because studios dumped a crap ton of releases.

As I mentioned, I think the lowest admits for a holiday season #1 since about as far back as you can track are around the 25m range. Even with me being very optimistic still about Wonka through Feb, it seems highly unlikely it can hit 20m admits as the holiday winner. Thats just horrendous, and part of the reason I expected so much more from it is because it sure seemed like something had to be big after so long with nothing being big. That obviously is no longer a general rule of thumb of the box office, which is bad bad news for theaters imo. 

If studios continue to provide the kind of variety they did this month, don't think it's really that bad a deal tbh. This weekend actually did draw more than 2022's even though there was no Avatar behemoth.

Just a bummer how much Marvels and Wish tanked, otherwise this would've been a legit solid Q4.

Edited by AniNate

Compared to last year for the post-Christmas weekend

Top 10 total 2022 

$101.5M

Top 10 total 2023

$100.5M

Only difference from last year was that Avatar 2 was making $67m of that $100m. Not bad especially after the soul crushing 2 Hollywood strikes, but theaters probably were hoping Aquaman had been bigger.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If studios continue to provide the kind of variety they did this month, don't think it's really that bad a deal tbh. This weekend actually did draw more than 2022's even though there was no Avatar behemoth.

Just a bummer how much Marvels and Wish tanked, otherwise this would've been a legit solid Q4.

It’s bad for tentpole films. They will not be profitable. We can’t expect the box office to survive on having a dozen mid budget films out there, we’ve seen too much that modern audiences can’t be lured to the theater reliably enough by those movies. If they can’t reliably be lured by tentpoles anymore either, again we’re in trouble. 

4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

BOM is claiming this year was 105.5 compared to 102.1 last year. Of course the fact that it's even close illustrates my point well enough.

Just quickly calculated from the-numbers weekend estimates, but was I also saying the same thing that the post-Christmas weekends are so close.

Edited by Mojoguy

We also can’t expect there will always be a dump of wide releases on deck for Xmas like this year, especially when something like this has never happened before. Unless studios start saving several for this stretch, but then that’s just deflating the other off months of the year, so it’s all a moot point. 

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It’s bad for tentpole films. They will not be profitable. We can’t expect the box office to survive on having a dozen mid budget films out there, we’ve seen too much that modern audiences can’t be lured to the theater reliably enough by those movies. If they can’t reliably be lured by tentpoles anymore either, again we’re in trouble. 

Good thing is that with so much variety people SHOULD be seeing more films over January this year, instead of going once for Avatar and ignoring the rest like in 2021. I think theaters prefer variety if only to sell more popcorn.

Edited by Mojoguy

Ever since I have followed box office for this century, it has always been a “rule of thumb” that something will be a big blockbuster hit within any given 6 months (usually more like 3-4 tbh). Not counting Covid stretch of course, that streak is about to break for the very first time come February, when we’ll be a full 6 months removed from the last blockbusters. That just seems very concerning to me having followed BO this long. 

Saw Godzilla Minus One.  Not as enthusiastic as some are obviously but still dam good.   Why the American versions can't make you care about the characters this much is a mystery. Instead as entertaining as those are they can just swap out Alexander Skarsgard for Dan Stevens and figure nobody will even care or remember either character  they play 5 minutes later.

I don't know what you define as "blockbuster" but we have had whole years without a gigantic behemoth in the past. In 2013 the highest grossing film in the calendar year was only $409mil, but it still managed to overtake the Avengers and Dark Knight-driven 2012 in total gross on the strength of 19 $100-$200m grossing movies compared to 8 in 2012

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I don't know what you define as "blockbuster" but we have had whole years without a gigantic behemoth in the past. In 2013 the highest grossing film in the calendar year was only $409mil, but it still managed to overtake the Avengers and Dark Knight-driven 2012 in total gross on the strength of 19 $100-$200m grossing movies compared to 8 in 2012

At least 25m admits, if not more like 30. 400 in 2013 is way above that. 

And no, we have never had any box office stretch like this outside of Covid without those big hits at all. 300 in 2013 was way bigger than 300 now, and we can’t even get near 300 now. It’s terrible. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

Just now, Maggie said:

The lack of Marvel giga hits is really affecting the industry. Carefull what you wish for - to those who wish to see Marvel flop

Insane to see you defend the producer of some of the shittiest, low-rent garbage being pumped out of the tit of hollywood considering how much you complain about tom cruise being a sell-out 😭

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The lack of Marvel giga hits is really affecting the industry. Carefull what you wish for - to those who wish to see Marvel flop

Fuck that. I prefer it this way. There's at least 4-5 movies out that I'm interested in right now as compared to one blockbuster taking up everything. 

The total box office last December and this December is the exact same

Also, maybe Marvel should make good movies? 

• Like 7

Wish, Napoleon, Marvels, Aquabro, Ferrari, TCP… all of the 100m budgeted movies of the holiday except THG, and all big flops in comparison to their budgets. Even THG isn’t wildly profitable of anything. It’s not good at all. Hollywood won’t spend big budgets forever to have them all bomb, and audiences can’t be reliably lured to theaters if big budget stuff starts dwindling. We are not in the 90s where you could count on low and mid budget stuff to put butts in seats too. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I get what you are saying but what  has come out since then that should have blown up and been massive since Barbenheimer and did not other than the CBM's which we all know carried the BO until the implosion happened. .I can see if tentpole after tentpole had come out and bombed. Yeah it would have been great if Wonka pulled a jumanji but it didn't. It's gonna do 200 DOM at least and 600 WW barring a complete post holiday collapse. Pretty dam good for 125 million budget. BOSS has easily overperformed expectations on a 100 million budget.  Migration seems like it will have legs and have a decent final total and it is cheap like most Illumnation movies are. Putting the burdens on movies to overperform their expectations  is what leads to the downbeat mood that is so common around here. I really dread March when  Dune Part 2 come out and does 175 DOM and 530 WW  people lose their shit because it should have done 300 + and 700 + to make up for a not great Jan/Feb.

• Like 3