filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I'm sure ratings will be quite high this years. There's more than enough Barbenheimer to go around as it is.

Heck, all this blathering about snubs is only serving to draw more publicity to it.

Maybe if a narrative forms that Barbie will win BP to compensate for the snubs. But then all the added eyes will just hit the ratings even harder next year when it likely doesn’t win. 

Now i think people are overreacting. I don't remember last year this madness when Kosinski or Cruise didn't get nominated and it was a weaker year. Kosinski in principal was snubbed. TG:M was harder to direct than freakin Barbie

I had to look up who the director of TGM even was bc no way in hell I was remembering Tron dude’s name off the top of my head. Night and day difference between the auteur approach Gerwig took and the Tom Cruise ghost directed TGM. Night and day. Nominating Kosinski would have been one of the bigger joke BD noms they’ve ever had. 

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Big thing I hate about "precursor season" is how it sets up certain expectations that people lose their minds about when the Oscars don't meet. Every critical body has their own preferences and biases. 

On a side note, people have really lost sight of what the intent of the "Knock It Off" reaction was supposed to be.

I never liked it, nor the "Not Cool" reaction from prior. Just an excuse to bully others without actually getting in trouble for it.

(cue the Evans in 3...2...1...)

• Knock It Off 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Incredible to see grown adults ranting for two days straight about the shame, the infamy, the dishonor of not handing enough Oscar nominations to the fucking Barbie movie. People used to be cool once, man.

We can talk about how unfair it is that Wonka didn't get any nominations. That can make us cool. :D

Nobody panics when things go "according to plan." Even if the plan is horrifying. If the Oscars decide that, like, multiple rudimentary biopics get acting nominations, or an acclaimed animated film gets stuck in the animated film category, nobody panics, because it's all "part of the plan". But when the Oscars decide that a large blockbuster competing in numerous stacked and competitive categories only gets 8 nominations instead of 10, well then everyone loses their minds!

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

never realized people were serious (or at least are pretending to be serious) about the barbie cast being serious contenders in the acting categories

sure, all the performances were pretty good and the idea of Gosling taking home gold for that was funny, but I was never under impression that any of the actors delivered top 5 performances of the year

4 hours ago, Becker said:

Please don't tell me it's NOT going to be an Oppenheimer sweep. Somebody please. 

It’s seemed obvious ever since July, as I said back then. I can’t remember another year a sweep in the major cats was more obvious as soon as the movie released since Return of the King actually. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I can’t remember another year a sweep in the major cats was more obvious as soon as the movie released since Return of the King actually. 

doesn't deserve it, not talking about the awards themselves, but it doesn't deserve return of the king treatment 

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

doesn't deserve it, not talking about the awards themselves, but it doesn't deserve return of the king treatment 

Well nothing deserves Return of the King treatment, so that’s an unfair metric… I’m glad for Nolan, but it’s yet another case of “give the movie the awards his movie we snubbed should have got” that they are so infamous for thanks to their *sparkles* biases. You just gotta play their game, tick their boxes 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

It would be nice if the academy would get heat for their treatment of animation this year. They certainly have zero incentive to start treating it like actual filmmaking as it stands. 

Doubt it. They very rarely care about any sort of sort of backlash. One of the few times backlash had any sort of effect was probably #OscarsSoWhite

To be kind of frank, most of the voters didn’t go into the industry for animation, they went in for film. They’re perfectly content with how things work now. They can focus on what they really care about (film) and let animation mostly sit in its own corner (Best Animated Feature). Or let other awards bodies honor animated films more properly.

Hollywood still doesn’t even value television as much as film, even with higher budgets and film stars doing television more regularly now.

10 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Doubt it. They very rarely care about any sort of sort of backlash. One of the few times backlash had any sort of effect was probably #OscarsSoWhite

To be kind of frank, most of the voters didn’t go into the industry for animation, they went in for film. They’re perfectly content with how things work now. They can focus on what they really care about (film) and let animation mostly sit in its own corner (Best Animated Feature). Or let other awards bodies honor animated films more properly.

Hollywood still doesn’t even value television as much as film, even with higher budgets and film stars doing television more regularly now.

The Reader getting nominated over The Dark Knight pretty much got the number of nominees increased to 10 to actually start including movies people had watched. 

• Thanks 1