filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

Oppenheimer can't get ROTK treatment aka clean sweep because at least Supporting Actress is wrapped up (Randolph from The Holdovers). Actor is between Giamatti (The Holdovers) and Murphy with Giamatti having more televised precursor wins so far (GG Comedy and CC). Adapted Script is up in the air but most predict either Barbie to be a consolation for Gerwig or American Fiction to take it.  So it won't go 13/13 at least because of Randolph. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The Reader getting nominated over The Dark Knight pretty much got the number of nominees increased to 10 to actually start including movies people had watched. 

Exactly. Wall-E snub backlash also likely led to Up’s nom in the expanded field the next year as well (which feels purely performative on their part given where we’re at all these years later with animation). Argo was absolutely NOT the BP frontrunner prior to Affleck snub backlash. OscarsSoWhite backlash a few years running finally got them to be more inclusive of black representation consistently.

The backlash definitely does matter to them when it’s loud enough since they know their grip on relevancy has been frail for years anyways. But there’s hardly any mainstream backlash rn about the animation treatment, so again they won’t do anything about it. 

Edited by MovieMan89

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Exactly. Wall-E snub backlash also likely led to Up’s nom in the expanded field the next year as well (which feels purely performative on their part given where we’re at all these years later with animation). Argo was absolutely NOT the BP frontrunner prior to Affleck snub backlash. OscarsSoWhite backlash a few years running finally got them to be more inclusive of black representation consistently (though I’d argue less so for other minority groups).

The backlash definitely does matter to them when it’s loud enough since they know their grip on relevancy has been frail for years anyways. But there’s hardly any mainstream backlash rn about the animation treatment, so again they won’t do anything about it. 

The "animation ghetto" as described by most Oscar watchers pretty much fully took hold when Inside Out was not even in the frontrunners for one of the 10 slots and no one seemed to be advocating otherwise. That was the moment when animated movies started becoming also rans for Best Picture.

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The "animation ghetto" as described by most Oscar watchers pretty much fully took hold when Inside Out was not even in the frontrunners for one of the 10 slots and no one seemed to be advocating otherwise. That was the moment when animated movies started becoming also rans for Best Picture.

In hindsight, I think it’s a matter of what I mentioned about being performative with the Up nom in 09 to quell the major TDK and Wall-E backlashes from 08 and show off how “progressive” the “new” BP field was.

With TS3 the following year, it was simply a matter of once in a lifetime perfect storm for the Academy actually legit taking notice of animation. That one may not have even gotten into a 5 field either, but it shouldn’t have to be some legacy-nostalgia/15 years in the making-1 bad review movie to get them to take notice. 

Pixar's weak stretch from Cars 2 - Monsters University diminished the passion to get them into the big category, and I think everyone has kinda resigned themselves to the reality that animation is always going to be second class unless something truly unignorable comes out, something that does like $600 million at the box office and gets a 95%/8.5 tomatometer at least.

It's best to just be at peace with that. People are always going to have their prejudices no matter how much I yell at them about it, and while the Oscars have a place as a marketing platform and retrospective showcase, you're going to keep being disappointed if you expect them to validate your tastes. As you said, even if they do respond to a backlash, it's usually just lip service that they retreat on when public pressure dissipates.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I know it's generally used as a desperate attempt to come across as "edgy," but all the handwringing over the Oscars being supposedly "irrelevant" is clearly a BS stance that no one actually believes when the Internet loses their freakin' minds over the nominations every year.

Every.

Single.

Year!

Stop trying to make "nobody cares about the Oscars anymore" happen because it's never going to happen unless this endless cycle is finally broken lmao.

• Like 3

Honestly it seems kind of bizarre to me to expect things to change over and over even though the academy has given no indication they would and then lose your mind when they...well, haven't lol

I had some vague hope Joe Hisaishi's fantastic score would atleast earn him a nom but I know how things go with the academy, it is what it is. Though man, Williams' score over his is disrespectful.

It sucks but it's been well-established by now.

24 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I might actually believe that if there weren't any kind of backlash

That's the thing though. There's always a backlash due to snubs. It's part of what makes the Oscars "the Oscars" after 96 years of existence.

4 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

the razzies somehow nominated Russell Crowe in The Pope’s Exorcist in the worst actor category

Speaking of irrelevant awards lol...

Except for the very few times a star has actually bothered to show up and be a good sport about their failures (see: Sandra Bullock winning for All About Steve exactly 24 hours before winning an Oscar for The Blind Side), the Razzies have always been a farce that no one takes seriously since they go after the easiest of easy targets. The Bruce Willis and Firestarter child actress scandals should've been a sign to throw in the towel for them.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I know it's generally used as a desperate attempt to come across as "edgy," but all the handwringing over the Oscars being supposedly "irrelevant" is clearly a BS stance that no one actually believes when the Internet loses their freakin' minds over the nominations every year.

Every.

Single.

Year!

Stop trying to make "nobody cares about the Oscars anymore" happen because it's never going to happen unless this endless cycle is finally broken lmao.

It actually is with casuals though. It’s only diehard movie buffs that care that much anymore, and that’s where you see most of the complaining come from each year. It takes an OscarsSoWhite situation or something like Barbie for the backlash to crossover to mainstream. It’s not every year, they most definitely are not that relevant anymore. 

But yes I do see the point some are making that the Barbie snubs going mainstream is ironically making them more relevant than normal. The kind of relevancy they actually need? 

Edited by MovieMan89

This discourse is peak white girl feminism. This year has a record amount of female directed movies nominated in BP. Also Lily Gladstone is the first Native American to be nominated in Best Actress. All this overshadowed by the Barbie snub discourse when both Greta and Margot weren't even the front runners. The academy had way worse misogynistic, homophobic, racist snubs in the past but ofcourse people only care about Barbie lol I did like Margot and Greta over other nominees that made the cut, and I do think Hollywood and the academy's misogynistic overall, but these two "snubs" really aren't it. Margot's against other actresses and the academy loved Greta for her other non-blockbuster films. I hate how people are making this political and turning it into a conspiracy theory.

• Like 13

Well of course they have way worse snubs than Barbie’s in their history that were prejudiced. The discourse is on it because it’s current and a hugely popular movie that was lauded as the total vision of its director and star. 3/5 of the BD very respectably could’ve been women this year, then we could talk about female director recognition. 

A Gladstone snub would have been even more infuriating for the record, but the backlash might not have crossed into mainstream as much since KotFM was not remotely a mainstream success like Barbie. Then again, it might have been a huge deal in the mainstream too since that would have seemed crazy racist given she has been the lead frontrunner the whole awards season.   

Edited by MovieMan89

Was subbing for a senior drama class, and of course this was all any of these high school theater kids were talking about until this one girl who had just been silent on her phone until that moment piped up and said 

“Can everyone just shut the f*** up???” 

Well said girl, well said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Was subbing for a senior drama class, and of course this was all any of these high school theater kids were talking about until this one girl who had just been silent on her phone until that moment piped up and said 

#OscarsSoRelevant 

If this really does get more people paying attention to it this year, then things like Gladstone’s win will also get more attention.

Edited by MovieMan89

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

I mean what else what you say to high school theater kids 

They annoying af.