filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

Poor Things really cleaned up at BAFTA, 5 wins behind Oppenheimer's 7. Even won Costume over Barbie. Starting to get the impression Original Song is what's going to save it from going home empty-handed in three weeks.

8 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Stone took both CC and BAFTA now, seems very likely she'll get her second oscar now. Feels bad for Lily even if I think Stone is a worthy win, who knows when she'll get another shot.

As much as I want Lily to win (and Sandra Huller), Emma really deserves this oscar, she was iconic so I think it will be unfair for her not to get her second oscar.

Edited by BoxOfficeManiac

Emma? Win the Oscar? After she played a Half-Asian character once?

I don't care how good she was in Poor Things. The Academy as a whole is not going to want that blowback.

EDIT: That said, I'm really glad Killers of the Flower Moon isn't getting much awards love. I still don't love how they figured out how to center the film around white people, all while convincing themselves they were putting the Osage front and center.

EDIT 2: Lily wasn't even nominated for a BAFTA so it's not a good bellwether. 

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 2

39 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I don't care how good she was in Poor Things. The Academy as a whole is not going to want that blowback.

EDIT: That said, I'm really glad Killers of the Flower Moon isn't getting much awards love. I still don't love how they figured out how to center the film around white people, all while convincing themselves they were putting the Osage front and center.

She already won one Oscar less than two years after Aloha, which she has spoken out against and apologized for over the years. Nobody cares anymore.

3 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

The academy doesn't vote as a whole though.

2 hours ago, eeetooki said:

The academy doesn't vote as a whole though.

Right, but if a powerful person points out the optics of Stone winning, it'll spread like wildfire.

By next weekend, Madame Web will have made more in the United States than Poor Things. I don't think people realize that, outside looking in, it'll look like Hollywood still has major race issues (which it, of course, absolutely does), and the Oscar will make headlines for all the wrong reasons. This is the year Barbie and Oppenheimer will drive audiences up more than the last several years. We already saw what happened just because Ryan Gosling got nominated, but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie didn't.

And maybe Emma deserves the Oscar. I haven't seen the film. But politics have always been more important at the Oscars than any other award show. 

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Right, but if a powerful person points out the optics of Stone winning, it'll spread like wildfire.

By next weekend, Madame Web will have made more in the United States than Poor Things. I don't think people realize that, outside looking in, it'll look like Hollywood still has major race issues (which it, of course, absolutely does), and the Oscar will make headlines for all the wrong reasons. This is the year Barbie and Oppenheimer will drive audiences up more than the last several years. We already saw what happened just because Ryan Gosling got nominated, but Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie didn't.

And maybe Emma deserves the Oscar. I haven't seen the film. But politics have always been more important at the Oscars than any other award show. 

In the many many months of online discourse and oscar watching about the race between Gladstone and Stone, not once have I seen Aloha mentioned as a strike against Stone. It came out 10 years ago, and as others have pointed out, she's already won an Oscar since then. Aloha is a non issue.

I didn't love Poor Things as much as others seem to, but Stone is undeniably brilliant. Hüeller would get my vote this year, but Stone is a worthy winner. Lily Gladstone is also great but it's a much quieter performance, and KOTFM has (sadly) lost it's way over the season.

As for Poor Things vs Madame Web box office - apples and oranges. One is a platform release from a Greek auteur who makes deliberately strange, unsettling, and not typically audience friendly films. The other is a $100m budgeted spin off from one of the most successful and bankable franchises out there. Poor Things is on track to clear $100m worldwide, and possibly a fair bit more. Although it's running out of steam domestically, it should scrape to $35-38m. Madame Web might eke out $50m if lucky. Poor Things might even end up with a higher Ww gross.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

By next weekend, Madame Web will have made more in the United States than Poor Things.

I don't understand why we are comparing completely different movies but Madame Web is not gonna pass Poor Things WW and isn't guaranteed to domestically. I really don't see why this matters. The Academy doesn't care.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

18 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

You have some of the weirdest takes.

42 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I don't understand why we are comparing completely different movies but Madame Web is not gonna pass Poor Things WW and isn't guaranteed to domestically. I really don't see why this matters. The Academy doesn't care.

I think he means to say that Dakota Johnson is the front runner or best lead actress in 2025. 

I wasn't comparing the box office of the two movies to make any sort of point regarding budget or, well, anything about money. Studios don't release figures regarding how many tickets sell for each film, so box office is the best way to weigh that.

My point was, Poor Things, while critically acclaimed, isn't going to be widely seen by a majority of people watching the Oscars. Killers of the Flower Moon is in the same boat, albeit less so because of bigger Box Office and availability on Digital. You don't think Academy voters are looking at the Best Actress nominees and weighing the optics of Gladstone losing? She 100% deserves her nomination, so it's not like voting for her would be any sort of pity vote, and if she wins, well, she was the best part of KotFM so I'd be thrilled. But I'm sure it'll be on the back of many voters minds while voting, because the Oscars has always been more political than other awards. Even the acceptance speeches compared to ones that happen at other ceremonies are more political.

2 hours ago, JustLurking said:

You have some of the weirdest takes.

MysteryMovieMogul's point is that Academy judges won't vote for Emma over Lily (regardless who make the best performance) due to fear of being portrayed as racists.

I'm not sure the Academy will care so much.

• Like 1

KOTFM has lost pretty much all of its early buzz and is likely going home empty-handed at this point since I'm pretty sure Stone is also taking SAG this weekend. The Irishman 2.0 where the passion to reward it for anything simply vanished well before the ceremony. Poor Things might even be #2 behind Oppenheimer for Picture now.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kon said:

MysteryMovieMogul's point is that Academy judges won't vote for Emma over Lily (regardless who make the best performance) due to fear of being portrayed as racists.

Yes, exactly what I'm saying. Thank you, I'm bad at being succinct.

And while I agree the Academy won't care as a majority, \there are enough non-white people in the Academy that I think their influence will guide the Best Actress category this year.

7 hours ago, Kon said:

I know what he's arguing. I'm not saying I don't get where he's going, I'm saying it's a weird angle to take, all of it. The Aloha point (she won her Oscar the literal year after it...but it's going to stop her nearly a decade later??), the racism angle, the madame web comparison. What the fuck even?

If Stone keeps taking all precursors I'm not sure what chance Lily really has, especially when KOTFM just seems to be running completely out of steam this awards szn...

20 hours ago, Kon said:

The moment people start factor in some irrelevant factor to dismiss Emma Stone's chance, you know Lily's chance is in jeopardy by this point. 

Lily isn't wining not because her works is any lesser in term of quality. The material that she was given put her at the disadvantage position to begin with. No matter how people wish to spin it, Lily simply isn't "leading" enough in KOTFM. When two works with equal quality compete, quantity become a deciding factor.