Madame Web (2024)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What’d You Think?

13 hours ago, AJG said:

I bet money that those movies are scrapped (I remember they had stuff with Spike Lee and Olvia Wilde lined up too). I know they've got TV shows in the works for Amazon. Im guessing Sony have pivoted towards them rather than movies.

Yeah, with CBM on the decline making movies about charecters which only really hard core Spidey fans have heard of does not seem like a good idea.

Wow, that movie was really something! lol

I've never laughed as much as I did with a movie, in years. How many dutch angles are in the movie? I stopped counting them. The last time I had that feeling, was during a screening for Battlefield Earth! XD

• Like 1

This film has weird potential 9/11 stuff that went completely unexplored (for good reason - this would in no way fit with the story they wanted to tell). Based on other information, it's clearly an unintended side effect of moving the film's settings from the late 1990s to early 2000s but if you're talking about NYC first responders in the early 2000s, 9/11 immediately comes to mind. 

Based on timeline cues this film implicitly took place within a month of (and likely within a week of) the invasion of Iraq and/or the announcement that the government foiled a plot to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge for Al-Qaeda (also 6 months after the DC sniper). This would be understood in MCU world as another foiled NYC terror attack that was at least initially presumptively tied to Al-Qaeda. Given that one of the abducted girls is J. Jonah Jameson's niece, are we to infer this is why the MCU's version of JJJ went off the deep end especially when tied to Spider-Man? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

GGY8SWZWYAAvQ0N?format=jpg&name=small

I have no words. This was the worst movie I've ever seen. Shoddy direction, unbelievably stupid and inept writing, wooden acting, and ugly cinematography form a movie that somehow makes Morbius look like a masterpiece. I'm amazed a movie this shitty was deemed good enough for theaters.

9 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

This film has weird potential 9/11 stuff that went completely unexplored (for good reason - this would in no way fit with the story they wanted to tell). Based on other information, it's clearly an unintended side effect of moving the film's settings from the late 1990s to early 2000s but if you're talking about NYC first responders in the early 2000s, 9/11 immediately comes to mind. 

Based on timeline cues this film implicitly took place within a month of (and likely within a week of) the invasion of Iraq and/or the announcement that the government foiled a plot to blow up the Brooklyn Bridge for Al-Qaeda (also 6 months after the DC sniper). This would be understood in MCU world as another foiled NYC terror attack that was at least initially presumptively tied to Al-Qaeda. Given that one of the abducted girls is J. Jonah Jameson's niece, are we to infer this is why the MCU's version of JJJ went off the deep end especially when tied to Spider-Man? 

9/11 Truther crap would have made a bad movie worse.

38 minutes ago, dudalb said:

9/11 Truther crap would have made a bad movie worse.

To clarify, I was talking about the early "global war on terror" mindset (or even not so early - remember the coverage of the 2010 Times Square attempted car-bomb) not "Bush/the CIA did 9/11 ("9/11 truther") paranoia. At the time there really wasn't a firm belief that 9/11 wouldn't be followed up by another major terrorist attack (something made ludicrously explicit in bush administration interviews). I also agree that either of these would have not fit at all with the film they wanted to make. The film's decision to be a period piece has nothing to do with the period, it's just driven by franchise necessities. 

However, what I find genuinely interesting about this is the clear lack of thought about what the timeline change meant in the context of the GWOT or 9/11. For about 10-15 years, superhero movies ranging from Raimi's Spider-Man to Nolan's Batman to Iron Man to Man of Steel to Age of Ultron were obsessed with 9/11 as an explicit or implicit backdrop to events. It seems to me that some time in the late 2010s or early 2020s we just left the (with The Batman especially illustrating the changing locus of concerns). Everything else is just playing dumb little games off of that observation. I think madame Webb can be used as an entry into this longer term story. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

20 hours ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Web fluid doesn't melt steel beams.

Dakota is so hilarious in all the press interviews. She knows it’s a flaming turd and she’s having fun with it.

Watching her roast herself and the movie I’m thinking why doesn’t Hollywood cast her in comedies? They’ve obviously never figured out what to do with her. But nepo babies need work and maybe she’s more suited in comedy.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 8:30 AM, JustWatching said:

it was originally, set in the 90s, but then they decided the timeline didn’t work, so they took out the 90s stuff, except they missed some so it’s a weird 90s-early 00s mashup.

If I were a production designer on this film, I won't want my name taken off it for that alone.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 12:11 PM, PatrickvD said:

Dakota is so hilarious in all the press interviews. She knows it’s a flaming turd and she’s having fun with it.

Watching her roast herself and the movie I’m thinking why doesn’t Hollywood cast her in comedies? They’ve obviously never figured out what to do with her. But nepo babies need work and maybe she’s more suited in comedy.

Shades of Paul Newman's " I had the honor to make my debut as a leading man in 'The Silver Chalice, the worst movie made in Hollywood in the 1950's. He milked that for joke material until he died.