kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [05.24 - 05.27, 2024] | 4-day actuals | 32.3M FURIOSA: A MAD MAX SAGA | 31.3M THE GARFIELD MOVIE | 22.3M IF | 17.6M KINGDOM OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I mean, the BO isn't what it was, but this doesn't seem apply to movies where the audience have a lot of interest.

That's why people were surprised about TLM. Disney remakes are criticized, but they tend to generate interest between the audience.

I know I’m way too late to the party on TLM discussion but I was under the impression that the opening weekend domestic and its legs were seen as strong, but the international performance left a lot to be desired? I mean 95 million for the 3 day was still above Aladdin, but it’s legs weren’t as strong as that film, but still made 298 million domestic in a crowded summer. We would kill for a near 300m domestic grosser right now.

im also a guy who thinks Mufasa will preform well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric Furiosa said:

Just got out and...yeah. They could have worked a way to get Theron cast here in this, though Anya does do great stuff. Guess the silver lining in all this is now two great actresses get to do wonderful stuff with a wonderful character. And that's all pretty swell.

I don’t think George Miller wants to work with Theron or Tom Hardy again after what happened on the set of Fury Road.

6 minutes ago, Serpico Jones said:

I don’t think George Miller wants to work with Theron or Tom Hardy again after what happened on the set of Fury Road.

I think he said that Theron was professional and on time. Hardy was the problem.

• Like 7

Had such an insanely stressful week at work, just wanna smoke a blunt and see this in DOLBY. I guess i’ll log off for the weekend since anytime a movie even tangentially under-performs, this place becomes a bit of a toxic shit hole and idk if i can handle that after the week I had haha. Hopefully i like it as much as the critics do; thought the first trailer was a bit shit

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I really think the simple answer as to why movie theaters are suffering is streaming. That’s the simple reason. Why go to the movie theater when you can pay basically nothing for a movie at home? You can make food at home cheaper than the theater (which has egregious prices), watch it on a good tv or projector (which would give the movie theater aesthetic, at least partially). The only thing a movie theater can offer is that communal experience, which is probably why something like Barbie or Top Gun: Maverick blew up, not just the movies themselves but seeing those movies on the big screen with other people. The reason I go to the movies is to see movies with other people and see the big reactions. 

but even that communal experience isn’t for everyone. Sometimes you want to enjoy a movie in peace 

Edited by AnthonyJPHer
  • Like 3

Does Garfield include EA? If so maybe 30M OW. If not, under 30M.

Furiosa is doomed. 35-38M 4 day weekend.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

My friend is watching Fall Guy tonight for free at home. He was going to go see it this weekend with his family as it’s a long holiday weekend. Universal told him he didn’t need to though as they were willing to gift it. 

FYI he is nearly 50 years old, so the naivety that all ages aren’t ’acquiring’ these perfect copy films in 4K as soon as they’re put on PVOD amazes me. 

Yes I know some of you will say that PVOD doesn’t hit a movie all that much. Where I disagree with this is that the mere knowledge people know they only have to wait mere weeks is hurting a certain kind of film as they’re not even going in the first place. 

Extend the windows!! 45 days please! 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Me, watching Furiosa in 3 weeks

9f01-0371.jpg?w=300&h=240

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

45 days please! 

120 days. Make it at as inconvenient as possible for windows.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YM! said:

120 days. Make it at as inconvenient as possible for windows.

I'll go with 84 days. I mean no movie is really making money at the box office past that time anyways.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I really think the simple answer as to why movie theaters are suffering is streaming. That’s the simple reason. Why go to the movie theater when you can pay basically nothing for a movie at home? You can make food at home cheaper than the theater (which has egregious prices), watch it on a good tv or projector (which would give the movie theater aesthetic, at least partially). The only thing a movie theater can offer is that communal experience, which is probably why something like Barbie or Top Gun: Maverick blew up, not just the movies themselves but seeing those movies on the big screen with other people. The reason I go to the movies is to see movies with other people and see the big reactions. 

but even that communal experience isn’t for everyone. Sometimes you want to enjoy a movie in peace 

This,, I wish people would stop blaming Covid, rhe move from theaters to streaming  would have happened anyway, all Covid did was speed up the process. without Covid it would have taken longer, that's all, 

There are other factors..like inflation has taken a bite out of most people's entertainment budgets, and you get a lot more entertaiment with a 12 bucks spent on a streaming service subscription  then you do with a movie ticket, but yeah, streming has caused the biggest drop in theater attednece since the coming of Television in the late 40's which cost theaters 40% of their attendence.

I also think the case of Furiosa, a lot of the fan were, as usual, wildly overprectigng  the box office. Fury Road, slehtough it did well at the box office, was not the huge hit some people who don't look at the actual num bers. think.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

My friend is watching Fall Guy tonight for free at home. He was going to go see it this weekend with his family as it’s a long holiday weekend. Universal told him he didn’t need to though as they were willing to gift it. 

FYI he is nearly 50 years old, so the naivety that all ages aren’t ’acquiring’ these perfect copy films in 4K as soon as they’re put on PVOD amazes me. 

Yes I know some of you will say that PVOD doesn’t hit a movie all that much. Where I disagree with this is that the mere knowledge people know they only have to wait mere weeks is hurting a certain kind of film as they’re not even going in the first place. 

Fall Guy was released 21 days ago. The fact someone waited so much time to see the movie with his family seems to imply there wasn't a lot of interest on that movie.

Now, your friend will likely choose to see another movie in theaters with his family, since that seems to be the important part.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

Covid killed movie theaters unless it's an event people are just going to the movies less. Even if the movies are good they are on digital so fast they feel they can just wait I wonder how much they make off vod. 

Substitute streming for Covid. THe move to srreaming wouls happened without COvid, just wuld have been more gradual.

And it has not killed theaters, audiences have become more selective.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'll go with 84 days. I mean no movie is really making money at the box office past that time anyways.

I think it's not a matter of when a movie stops making money at the theater but how long will people wait to see a movie on streaming.

Would someone easily wait 45 days to skip the theater and see it at home? Clearly yes.

Would someone wait 90 days? 120? I'd say either of those would be better. And they need to make it known.

6 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Ik but it’s the principle of things. Don’t think it will move the needle as much but the longer the period helps make the illusion of an uncertain streaming date. 

3 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

I think it's not a matter of when a movie stops making money at the theater but how long will people wait to see a movie on streaming.

Would someone easily wait 45 days to skip the theater and see it at home? Clearly yes.

Would someone wait 90 days? 120? I'd say either of those would be better. And they need to make it known.

The thing is people wouldn't wait for something they are really interested. They will probably go as soon as possible.

However, if they aren't so interested in the movie, they would likely wait 90 or 120 days for a movie in streaming.

• Like 3