kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 07-09, 2024] | actuals | 56.5M BAD BOYS: RIDE OR DIE | 10.0M GARFIELD | 7.8M IF | 7.0M THE WATCHERS

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I can buy student loan repayments restarting (for the US) but Barbenheimer? People saw Barbenheimer and decided they can’t afford to watch films in theaters ever again? And no one caught on to the fact that no one can afford to spend money until just now? When the May blockbusters hyped up by the industry are bombing? Around the same time that stuff like Apes and Bad Boys 4 can open well? And just months after stuff like Dune and GxK can open even bigger?

I feel like I and some other people are just beating the same drum over and over again, but streaming and Covid are just the more reasonable and obvious reasons. The bar is so much higher when you have the convenience of staying home and watching stuff on the services you already pay for. People can wait for original films to come to streaming, while franchise films have a higher interest bar to get people out. It’s why we haven’t had an original film make more than 500M worldwide since before the pandemic, or why Apes and Bad Boys can open to 50M+ while The Fall Guy and Furiosa struggle to cross 30M

Technically, wasn't Furiosa a franchise movie?

44 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Inside Out 2, Despicable Me 4, Deadpool, and Joker are like the only guarantees for the rest of the year. Theres a good chance everything from Twisters to Beetlejuice to Gladiator just underperforms massively.

Moana 2, Sonic 3, Mufasa could all reach 200m domestic. Tbh I think it’s locked for Moana 2 and very possible for the other two. 

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I've been playing movie trivia at my local pub (kick ass of course), and they do it by decade - 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s. It's been making me thinking alot about the cultural canon. Every time is a mix of huge hits, cult classics, and comedies - but the mix gets really.....off in 2010s. When we talk about a cultural canon, aka the lines, the moments, and the characters that are so culturally recognizable that they can be turned into trivia and debates, there's something really lacking in the 2010s. In the 1970s, so many of the biggest box office hits they ask about are also filled with instantly recognizable characters and lines (Jaws, Star Wars, Godfather, etc). In the 80s, same thing with Top Gun, Batman 89, Back to the Future, etc. 90s, same deal with Lion King, Forrest Gump, Sixth Sense, ID4, etc. In the 2000s, there's a little more separation between the hits and the canon, but there's still easy questions about LOTR, TDK, Harry Potter, and POTC. In the 2010s, there starts to be a hugeeeee chasm between the things that make money and the things that enter the cultural canon. Sure, the early part of the decade had things like Avengers and Hunger Games that had enough cultural cache to make it to trivia. But by the mid-part of the decade, all the questions are about movies like Get Out and Wolf of Wall Street and stuff like that. There certainly isn't any questions about Incredibles 2 or Frozen 2 or Finding Dory or Jurassic World or frankly most of the money making movies post-2013. Who remembers a line from those movies?? (sorry @Brainbug).  The cultural canon has always welcomed cult classics and late breakouts, and some moneymakers have been forgotten, but my point is that the chasm has never, ever been as large between money and cultural impact as in the last decade or so. That's part of why studios are really struggling for banger product.

The good news, in Top Gun Maverick, Barbie, Oppenheimer, NWH, and Dune 2, it does feel like a larger number of recent hits have penetrated the cultural canon. But then you have things like Minions 2 and Doctor Strange 2 and Jurassic World: Dominion that made a shit ton of money and left zero cultural mark. 

Thats one criticsm of (most) modern blockbusters i share. The scripts of these movies have become so polished and "safe" that banger lines which could become iconic just dont appear anymore because actually writing dialogue scenes that challenge the viewer and are memorable also require risk-taking and an overall story around it that is neither generic nor safe.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Also if im gonna gamble im gonna gamble like a man and lose my life savings at the roulette table 

Not Russian Roulette I hope.

Posted (edited)

Honestly I don't think the handwringing over Furiosa is any worse than it's been for other "ambitious" projects that bombed at the box office and had a portion of the Internet trying to rehabilitate their reputations before the dust settled. It's just that previous movies with such a designation weren't an extension of an expensive franchise, and also usually had much more divisive critical receptions like Babylon or even mother! (even after seeing how wildly inaccessible that movie was, there were people who acted legitimately shocked that it made no money when it came out nearly 7 years ago before streaming took over as a completely undeniable force).

FWIW I think if we were having a Tom Hardy-led Fury Road sequel out right now in this movie's place 9 years later we would instead be talking about how they missed the boat in terms of striking while the iron was hot by 5 to 7 years vs. debating whether people wanted Furiosa or not. Sometimes, more often than not, timing really is everything.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Anyway I saw Hit Man. It was fine, I don’t get the insane hype. I’m not a fan of dumping films on streaming, but it probably saved it from the same fate as The Fall Guy: a “fun” film that’s gets a lot critical love but doesn’t do great at the box office and generates a bunch of box office think pieces.

Atlas probably will do bigger numbers.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, dallas said:

That's a really good number. As he said, I was expecting a softer Saturday jump based on the fact we are well into June now.

Me of little faith I guess. I took the under on $50 million. In my defense though, my theatre really was depressingly empty for a 7:10 Thursday evening show.

13 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

That's a really good number. As he said, I was expecting a softer Saturday jump based on the fact we are well into June now.

Me of little faith I guess. I took the under on $50 million. In my defense though, my theatre really was depressingly empty for a 7:10 Thursday evening show.

T-mobile deal definitely helped backload the weekend. Why go see it on Thursday when you can use the $5 deal on a prime time Saturday night showing. 

I wonder how Father’s Day might affect it. I could see families with 14-18 year olds possibly choosing it as their movie choice next Sunday. But how many families like that, well who’s to know really?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 10:06 AM, Legion Again said:

To bring things back to weekend prognostication a bit I think there is something to sports impacting the preview walk ups a bit given demos and I am still thinking mid high 50s possible esp with what looks like very solid reception. Hope to wake up to s nice true Fri outlook

:) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Speedorito said:

Anyway I saw Hit Man. It was fine, I don’t get the insane hype. I’m not a fan of dumping films on streaming, but it probably saved it from the same fate as The Fall Guy: a “fun” film that’s gets a lot critical love but doesn’t do great at the box office and generates a bunch of box office think pieces.

Who knows? After Anyone But You (which also starred Glen Powell), I don't think anyone can say for sure that a romcom isn't capable of putting up good numbers. 

• Like 2

We need a summer 2001 or 2004 murderers row line up of projects. One of these years, the stars will align...

• Like 1