The Wild Eric

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

Just now, Legion Again said:

Top 3 Pixar of the last 10 years (below the really great ones, Soul and IO1)

I really liked Elemental (saw it multiple times in theaters) but I realize it's heavily flawed.

During the pandemic, the wife and I re watched every Pixar movie to create our own lists and have been keeping it up with every release.Β  I don't have her list handy but here's mine.Β Β 

1. Wall-E
  2. Up
  3. Ratatouille
  4. Coco
  5. Incredibles
  6. Toy Story 3
  7. Cars
  8. Soul
  9. Elemental
  10. Toy Story 4
  11. Inside Out
  12. Monsters Inc.
  13. Lightyear
  14. Finding Nemo
  15. Turning Red
  16. Brave
  17. A Bugs Life
  18. Onward
  19. Luca
  20. Incredibles 2
  21. Cars 3
  22. Toy Story 2
  23. Toy Story
  24. The Good Dinosaur
  25. Monsters University
  26. Finding Dory
  27. Cars 2
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

8 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Inside Out 2 and DM4 will both make 1 billion. But I thought families don’t like going out to theaters anymore? That theaters are too dirty and there are too many Β ads?

Families have been eating up animated sequels post pandemic but giving the cold shoulder to animated originals. This doesn't really change that equation. Will families embrace movies like The Wild Robot and Elio? That's much more important for the health of animation in theaters. This used to be an area where audiences were more willing to embrace originals.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ZeroHour said:

Families have been eating up animated sequels post pandemic but giving the cold shoulder to animated originals. This doesn't really change that equation. Will families embrace movies like The Wild Robot and Elio? That's much more important for the health of animation in theaters. This used to be an area where audiences were more willing to embrace originals.

Β 

I do think the interest in originals is slowly coming back. Elemental legged out to a profitable total, Bad Guys actually did do pretty solid for its budget and is now having a sequel coming out next year. Migration was pretty weak by Illumination standards, yes, but it did also benefit from a low budget and a lack of competition for the rest of its run. The only studio that has really taken a hit is WDA with its misfires that a lot of people saw coming long before they released.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AniNate

1 minute ago, ZeroHour said:

Even before the pandemic, the only OW above $100m for an animated movie was SLOP. Whose goodwill didn't spread to its sequel SLOP 2, ironically enough.

Β 

I do agree with your assessment. I wish that originals were more popular.

• Like 1

It definitely feels like there's the interest in Wild Robot at this point where the only way it could be a financial disappointment is if it ends up being an artistic one.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I haven't seen all the Pixar movies. Not really a completionist in that regard. I feel like most people here have seen them all though.

Β 

I haven't seen Cars 2 or 3 nor do I have any interest in them

• Like 1

I'd be more optimistic for the box office of Elio if it didn't share a release date with the How to Train Your Dragon live action movie. That's really gotta change but I don't know which will blink.

Also Pixar has a movie on the first weekend of March 2026, which shares it with a Cat in the Hat movie.

Edited by cannastop

The kind of $60-70m openings of Pixar's originals on their good days were huge... I believe Inside Out ($90m), Zootopia ($75m) and SLOP ($104m) may actually be the 3 biggest original animated openers, right?

Β 

Inside Out was crazy because it outopened Monsters Uni (whose $82m at the time was Pixar's biggest sans TS3).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I haven't seen all the Pixar movies. Not really a completionist in that regard. I feel like most people here have seen them all though.

Β I'm 2 short - The Good Dinosaur and Turning Red (on my summer D+ watch list)...

Β 

So, ALMOST a completionist...since I already watch all supers, these can sometimes slip a little (like Madame Web viewing came 1st...although, after seeing it's not a supers movie, maybe I should have skipped it)...

I think WB will move from March 2026.

Β 

But the the Dragon live-action...Universal has been very aggressive. They might try to bully Elio out. Maybe both stay.

Β 

I wouldn't be surprised if Moana stomps over Wicked, Universal pivots and moves How to Train Your Dragon to another date.

2 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'd be more optimistic for the box office of Elio if it didn't share a release date with the How to Train Your Dragon live action movie. That's really gotta change but I don't know which will blink.

Well, Moana 2 and Wicked (pretty big audience overlap) are coming out on the same weekend and neither seems eager to blink so maybe both will just stand their ground in the end there too.

Just now, toutvabien said:

The kind of $60-70m openings of Pixar's originals on their good days were huge... I believe Inside Out ($90m), Zootopia ($75m) and SLOP ($104m) may actually be the 3 biggest original animated openers, right?

Β 

Inside Out was crazy because it outopened Monsters Uni (whose $82m at the time was Pixar's biggest sans TS3).

Adjusted for inflation, Finding Nemo's OW is pretty insane too. Almost $120m. 😲

Β 

Though SLOP's OW adjusts to $136m, 🀯