Eric is Anxious

INSIDE OUT 2 WEEKEND THREAD | 155M DOM, 140M OS | Summer is back, Disney saves the day! | πŸ˜‚πŸ˜’πŸ˜‘πŸ€’πŸ˜±πŸ˜°πŸ˜’πŸ₯±πŸ˜³

I am pretty sure Encanto would've been a lot bigger now. There was still latent COVID anxiety when it came out.Β 

Β 

I also think Elio will have a lot more people willing to show up for it opening weekend now than might've pre-IO2. Definitely not expecting it to open as badly as Elemental did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ringedmortality said:

I always thought it would hit like It Chapter 1 numbers cause I know Gen Z, Millennial, and Gen X women who love Beetlejuice and are hyped for this film. But I guess I was fooling myself like with Twisters.

Oh Beetlejuice and Twisters could be big hits (what do I knowπŸ˜„)

Β 

I just wouldn't bet money on it. Inside out 2, Deadpool, Mufasa were always my big 3 massive hits of 2024

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I would have Moana 2 over $120M (could do $150M, I think it's pretty big on Disney+)

Β 

There's a new nemo coming out?Β 

It's not official but I guess this could be a hintΒ 

Β 

Β 

11 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Damn Inside Out 2 has such a excellent Box Office opening that Brietbart has to declare it "Non-Woke"Β 

Β 

Screen-Shot-2024-06-16-at-9-25-07-AM.png

Β 

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

The rules of wokeness. Once something is successful it can no longer be woke. Barbie was a very stressful time for that crowd last year.Β 

• Haha 16

4 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

With women going to see this do you think this is negatively gonna affect Beetlejuice? Cause women only go once a year.

Β 

Oh shit I saw Dune 2 and Monkey Man are they coming to arrest me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

22 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Wow people in certain circles are still claiming theaters are dead/dying. They are basically salivating over it. It’s clear these people have some kind of issues with theaters and are mad they still exist or think just because a movie they loved bombed it means theaters in general must be dying. It is very strangeΒ 

I feel like it’s…not a super difficult concept to understand? We have actual theater owners saying they’re struggling. β€œTheaters are dead” is an exaggeration (they’re obviously) but Inside Out 2 doing big numbers doesn’t mean everything is hunky-dory either.

Β 

You can just look at trends or even just the box office grosses this year. They’re not great. The projections for the 2024 domestic box office estimates were recently lowered from 8.5B to 7.5B. And original animated films, which used to do big numbers, capping at 500M WW isn’t awesome, especially since they were the pretty much the last type of original films that could consistently do big numbers.

Β 

It’s nice to have optimism but June and July won’t magically fix everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I am pretty sure Encanto would've been a lot bigger now. There was still latent COVID anxiety when it came out.Β 

Β 

I also think Elio will have a lot more people willing to show up for it opening weekend now than might've pre-IO2. Definitely not expecting it to open as badly as Elemental did.

I also think if Elemental did 150/500m, the Pixar Plus trio would've at least topped that:

Β 

Soul feels like something to blow up OW to $90-100m but likely settle around $325m-$340m due to more adult skew. Then around $350m-$500m OS for a total around $675-$890m.

Β 

Luca has Ratatouille and Elemental vibes all over it. Would likely open within the $40m range and leg it out to $185-205m due to its strong performance on the plus and vibes. I'm guessing it'd do around the same as Elemental OS but with Italy having a big run due to the culture like Ratatouille in France or Elemental in South Korea and tbh could have seen it really do well in Europe to maybe do more than Elemental. So that's about $580m-$630m WW.

Β 

Turning Red feels like it would've been a breakout as it also had a sizable debut on Disney+ and female skew would have helped drive up numbers in a Spring of 2022 that was dry for female skewing movies apart from The Lost City and lack of family films. Feel like it'd have open within 65m and had a total around 240m domestic. Wouldn't likely play as well as Elemental or Luca but somewhere within the 550m-600m WW region.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Universal is sitting Twisters up to die. SadΒ 

It and DM4 switching would be god sends. DM4 has less pressure after IO2 and could still do early OS releases like Ice Age and other July Illumination’s, and Twisters would have more time from Deadpool and be the first PG-13 blockbuster since Apes.

Just now, AniNate said:

Turning Red seems like a solid enough merch mover to think it would've been a pretty good performer in theaters, and the 4*TOWN songs have some cultural cache.

They do? The songs. I mean Nobody Like U has 300m views on YouTube I guess that's not nothingΒ 

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Turning Red seems like a solid enough merch mover to think it would've been a pretty good performer in theaters, and the 4*TOWN songs have some cultural cache.

Would have made more money than Lightyear for sure.

• Like 3

I really hope DxW, DM4, Joker 2, Venom 3, Moana 2 and Mufasa all over perform and we can at least get close to matching last years Box Office Domestic and probably topping it Worldwide (as China and International have been holding a lot better than Domestic due to local/regional films). For reference we are running about 25% behind Domestic and 11% or so Worldwide.Β 

Β 

Also looking at Disney box office for their FY26 could be insane Zootopia 2, Avatar 3, Avengers 5, Mando + Grogu, Toy Story 5 and Moana Live Action are the big ones scheduled for that 12 month period + likely some other films to be announced should be a good time if all those come out on time.Β 

The last thing I want to say about a hypothetical Turning Red box office run in 2022 is that I wonder how audience reactions would have shook out. Rotten tomatoes verified and all that. Would the Karen factor be noticedΒ 

46 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Beetlejuice was never going to be this big hit imo. Feels like a Bad Boys 4 type of openingΒ 

Β 

Which would be fantastic. Who the f was 'expecting' more?Β 

24 minutes ago, YM! said:

It and DM4 switching would be god sends. DM4 has less pressure after IO2 and could still do early OS releases like Ice Age and other July Illumination’s, and Twisters would have more time from Deadpool and be the first PG-13 blockbuster since Apes.

One of two things is true either Twisters is a eh movie at best that they know WOM will not be great so it really does not matter in the end or it's good andΒ  theyΒ  are over confident in the quality of the movie saving the day in the end and it will counter program DP and W through the month of August.Β 

3 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

One of two things is true either Twisters is a eh movie at best that they know WOM will not be great so it really does not matter in the end or it's good andΒ  theyΒ  are over confident in the quality of the movie saving the day in the end and it will counter program DP and W through the month of August.Β 

Β 

feels like Dead Reckoning where Paramount got overly confident