The Wild Eric

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

1 hour ago, Unfitclock said:

I don’t understand why the Bikeriders was so extremely frontloaded

It was also played as a Regal Mystery Movie, so if they included that into the preview grosses, then that plus early access screenings and Thursday previews explain it     

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, toutvabien said:

Woa, that is big!

Having a bigger PTA than Poor Things is pretty exciting, seems to be riding the success of that film pretty well. I'll be curious to see how it expands next weekend into 500 theaters, and how it holds after that (especially since everyone seems to agree that it's even darker and meaner than Lanthimos's last two movies with Searchlight, and won't have an awards season boost).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Pretty much every white adult cinephile film outside Oppenheimer, from bigger ones like Killers of Flower Moon and Napoleon to smaller ones like this, have shitty IMs nowadays. Kinda always meh legs too tbh. These used to be the leggiest adult films and now they all have Twilight legs. There's a hardcore cinephile crowd that will see them opening night and that's it, everyone else waits.

Don't really care about the Inside Out numbers or the year to year comparisons if it's all at the top and movies like this can't succeed. 

Having it be attributed as a white cinephile project is ironic given the history. Nevertheless, are you sure that people are even waiting? It is not as if they set Nielsen or whatever remains of the home video market ablaze. Oppenheimer and Barbie were not even able to move the needle in terms of Oscar ratings, so it appears that you have people who just ignore the cinephile projects altogether      

1 minute ago, Issac Newton said:

TOO EARLY TOP 5 

1. INSIDE OUT 2 ($100M)

2. B4D BOYS ($18M)

3. THE BIKERIDERS ($10M)

4. APES ($3.5M)

5. GARFIELD (3.2M) 

I assume this is ERC

Interesting that 20th Century was going to market the film around Jodie Comer, but Focus decided to shift to Tom Hardy and Austin Butler. I guess that makes sense since it went from awards play to “let’s try to turn a profit from this” but hopefully Comer can get a lead movie star role.

Maybe movies like Bikeriders don't do as good theater business anymore but they're in no danger of losing investment. Creative respect does still go a long way in the industry and there will be plenty of other movies the next year to pin the fate of white auteur cinema on.  

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, Selma said:

So iO2 Can beat thé Mario movie and might even have a chance of beating barbie ?

for a second weekend? I'd say so. A $30.5m Friday makes it likely. Over $93m 2nd weekend is in the cards.

Edited by cannastop

5 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Having it be attributed as a white cinephile project is ironic given the history. Nevertheless, are you sure that people are even waiting? It is not as if they set Nielsen or whatever remains of the home video market ablaze. Oppenheimer and Barbie were not even able to move the needle in terms of Oscar ratings, so it appears that you have people who just ignore the cinephile projects altogether      

There's been plenty of regular mid-sized hits throughout film history that didn't gross as high as the biggest movie in any given year and still left the cultural impact. Movies like Airport and Earthquake dominated the 1970s, but the cultural zeitgeist always wins out in the end. I don't know how that happens anymore, but it's fine. Great numbers to at least keep theaters open, though.

The things with Bikeriders though is the reviews are decent but not great. So even some of the cinephile crowd may be deciding to wait. This was never going to be a Oscar Play movie.  I am seeing it today. I do not have any other plans so might as well. Waiting for my friends and their 8 year old daughter to be able to see IO 2. A man my age is not seeing that alone. LOL

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Hopefully it can expand nicely over the coming weeks. That audience score is certainly promising.

Gotta say I was not anticipating the audience score to be higher than the critic score here. Maybe it's nasty in that cool Pulp Fiction way

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Gotta say I was not anticipating the audience score to be higher than the critic score here. Maybe it's nasty in that cool Pulp Fiction way

Movie would make 20m at the box office and then disappear into the fifth carousel of Hulu if it was released today. All those insanely quotable lines and images that have been a part of our culture? Forget it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1