Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (6/21-23)

To add to the conversation, while I agree that 700m is by no means assured at this point in time, 650m more or less is. This movie is currently pulling away against Barbie despite that movie opening 8m higher and having a nearly 4x multi. 

The more important figure however, is that weekend drop. While technically the drop this weekend was 35.1%, I don't think some people realize how insane that is coming off an opening weekend, where the Friday gross is always hugely inflated due to essentially being 2 days in one. 

Taking a look at its Sat and Sun, which can be given a like for like comparison, it's drops this weekend were in the 20% range, and using its true opening of 141m, the drop this weekend was 28.3%, which is doubly impressive given that most movies tend to pick up better holds towards the later parts of their run, not the SECOND weekend. Literally only TGM has managed a sub-30% true drop rate in its second weekend among movies that opened over 100m!

This means that even if its legs weaken going forward, that would imply drops of 3x%, not 4x%, and if they don't, we basically have a second Top Gun on our hands.

Edited by Cheddar Please
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney owns it now via the Fox sale and they put out a straight-to-Disney+ spin-off in 2022. Imagine there's no rush to revive it on the big screen given the last one earned awful reviews (18% RT score) and flopped at the box office in 2016 (even international auds that drove the previous ones to such huge global totals mostly stayed away).

Blue Sky (the animation studio) no longer exists as well.

I imagine if we see another theatrical Ice Age, it’ll be a live action remake versus WDA/Pixar doing it or even outsourcing.

15 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Ice age overseas gross were wild

Ice age 3: 690 million in 2009

Ice age 4: 715 million in 2013

Cause the comdey was mostly physical. That's why Despicable Me and Minions movie have done so well too. 

Pixar and WDAS lacks physical comedy most of the time.

• Like 3

June BO should be able to come close to 1bn after all. Sadly no matter how mega-sized IO2 turn out, IO2 merely just here to help June BO to come matching with the past 2 years number. The lack of mid-low sized gross make it impossible for June to come above pre-pandemic level no matter how healthy the top tier player. 

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

June BO should be able to come close to 1bn after all. Sadly no matter how mega-sized IO2 turn out, IO2 merely just here to help June BO to come matching with the past 2 years number. The lack of mid-low sized gross make it impossible for June to come above pre-pandemic level no matter how healthy the top tier player. 

I mean yeah, there's no sugarcoating the deep hole that has been dug this year so far, but mid-June was hopefully as bad as it got. Not gonna worry about "pre-pandemic" until at least we can get beyond even 2022.

22 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Ice Age 5 made more internationally than Elemental did.   

This. A new Ice Age would explode for sure. I see Ice Age memes on TikTok all the time.

Actually, a new Ice Age would make more worldwide than any Disney movie next year, except for Avatar 3 and maybeeee Zootopia 2.

Edited by James
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I just hope Pete Docter and Bob Iger's business strategy isn't quite as franchise-driven as this thread punditry is

only disney film to do well in the past year is a sequel

Ice Age nostalgia is for the first three movies that are considered as classics but everybody agrees that the last two were awful and got tired about it. A new movie would be a big hit if it's a live action remake of the first movie because of that nostalgia but Idk if there's demand for Ice Age 6 

41 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Cause the comdey was mostly physical. That's why Despicable Me and Minions movie have done so well too. 

Chris Melandandri shepherded the first two Ice Age movies when he was running Fox Animation in the 2000s. Cinco Paul/Ken Daurio and Chris Renaud who pioneered the DM franchise started off at Blue Sky. The Ice Age movies are quite literally the Despicable Me blueprint in terms of tone:

31 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Ice Age 5 made more internationally than Elemental did.   

By $2m dollars after having sharp falls from the fourth one. No one cares about the Ice Age franchise anymore.

Edited by YM!
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

BOT: Where people clamor for a sequel for a movie that made $64m DOM in the hopes that it will make a billion.

It doesn’t need to make a billion and DOM is irrelevant for Ice Age. That franchise is an OS juggernaut.

51 minutes ago, Eric is Anxious said:

Must we have another Ice Age? Must we?

Not really but is it any worse than these unwatchable Despicable Me/Minions movies, or the 80 different Spiderman movies/reboots/animated we've had in the last decade, or the way the Star Wars IP is being pillaged and squeezed for every last drop? 

16 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

only disney film to do well in the past year is a sequel

That doesn't mean it's the only thing that can do well (or even that it's a 100% guarantee to). You don't have an Inside Out 2 without an Inside Out, and every franchise will eventually deteriorate if that's all they focus on. I definitely don't think the last desperate gasps of a dying studio are something to emulate.

• Like 1

It is ironic to me that so many people here pile on DM, Minions or Ice Age, yet they’re so enamoured with Inside Out lmao. All of them are cash grabs. Disney is making movies to make money, just like every other studio out there.

• Knock It Off 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.