kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

35 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

The Batman II has a very good shot for 1B. 

1st made 770M, very well received, had strong legs. I think audiences are eager to return to that franchise.

If the 2nd is as good, it has great chance at being a breakout sequel.

I would like that to be true. The problem is it will be 4 and a half  years between the two movies and I am not sure the first has had any staying power with the GA much at all. They are going to need a Heath Ledger type catalyst  I feel and we are not in 2005-2008 moviegoing culture anymore. Maybe the Penguin  Max  show will help in Sept but that's still two years from the 2nd movie and will Casuals even watch or care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

June was fantastic and we're heading into a very strong July. The "movies are dead" crowd did a lot for nothing in April and May but they'll never change 🤡

We've had some hits, sure. But it's all top heavy so there are still definite problems.

I don't know how many times people have to painstakingly explain this.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

We've had some hits, sure. But it's all top heavy so there are still definite problems.

I don't know how many times people have to painstakingly explain this.

We are back above the 12 months preceding this one, so that at least is something to be positive about.

And hey, Bikeriders, Horizon, and even Quiet Place all still could've done way worse, but they didn't. They are still extra money being made that might not have been. There's usually an imbalance in the summer blockbuster season but at least the options are there.

• Like 1

About The Bikeriders not doing well, I agree that it's a shame. It's a pretty good movie and I'm sure we all would've liked to see this be a breakout success. However, I personally feel it shouldn't be that hard to understand why a movie like that isn't catching on with general audiences. 

For one, it's directed by Jeff Nichols. Nothing against him at all, but he makes movies that may be acclaimed and well-received by critics, but aren't particularly mainstream or crowdpleasers. The Bikeriders is probably his most mainstream film he's made, but it also has a lot of attributes of something that isn't mainstream or immediately a commercial sell. Not to mention that compared to other directors, Nichols' name probably rings no bell for the average person on the street. 

Between that, being delayed for a while and being released by a distributor that is not amongst the five major studios, it's not much of a surprise why this movie didn't break out. Again, it's a shame, but it doesn't render an entire type of movie dead at theaters. If anything, the success of films like Poor Things or The Iron Claw last December should prove otherwise, but I digress.

Also, movies like Civil War, Challengers and Fall Guy may not have made blockbuster type money, but they did also contribute in a small way to keeping theaters alive during that April/May lull. A lot more theaters may very well have gone under if it weren't for what business they did provide. Adult movies may not make as much money as people want them to at the box office, but they are still important.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Remember when people were putting Horizon in their top 10 predictions for the year?

This was right after the film got the 11-minute standing ovation at Cannes, but I literally heard someone on a box office podcast say $1 billion and Horizon. They quickly backtracked on that, but just be aware that there was someone out there for a few seconds who thought Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1 could do $1 billion. 

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

Don’t bother.

I mean I think it's reasonable to ask if the box office being "top heavy" is really a bad thing as long as there are options available. Can't help it if people aren't interested in them and don't really have a good reason to be, but you can't say they're not still aiming for variety at least. I would truly appreciate a more thoughtful explanation about it than just more passive aggression.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

This was right after the film got the 11-minute standing ovation at Cannes, but I literally heard someone on a box office podcast say $1 billion and Horizon. They quickly backtracked on that, but just be aware that there was someone out there for a few seconds who thought Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1 could do $1 billion. 

No, before the year started some people had Horizons in their top ten domestic.  A lot, had it making 100 million domestic.  Even, Deadline had Horizon as one of the films that could gross 100m.

Deadline's list of movies at the start of the year that could hit 100m domestic.

Bob Marley: One Love    Paramount    February 14
Dune: Part Two    Warner Bros/Legendary    March 1
Kung Fu Panda 4    Universal/DWA    March 8
Cabrini    Angel Studios    March 8
Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire    Sony Pictures    March 29
Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire    Warner Bros/Legendary    April 12
The Fall Guy    Universal    May 3
If    Paramount    May 17
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga    Warner Bros/Village Roadshow    May 24
Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes    20th Century/Disney    May 24
Ballerina    Lionsgate    June 7
Inside Out 2    Disney    June 14
Bad Boys sequel    Sony Pictures    June 14
A Quiet Place: Day One    Paramount    June 28
Horizon: An American Saga – Part I    New Line    June 28
Despicable Me 4    Universal/Illumination    July 3
Twisters    Universal    July 19
Deadpool 3    Disney/Marvel    July 26
Horizon: An American Saga – Part 2    New Line    August 16
Beetlejuice 2    Warner Bros    September 6
Transformers One    Paramount    September 13
Joker: Folie a Deux    Warner Bros    October 4
Smile 2    Paramount    October 18
Venom 3    Sony Pictures    November 8
Red One    Amazon MGM Studios    November 15
Gladiator sequel    Paramount    November 22
Untitled Disney Animation feature    Disney    November 27
Wicked – Part 1    Universal    November 27
The Karate Kid    Sony Pictures    December 13
Mufasa: The Lion King    Disney    December 20
Sonic the Hedgehog 3    Paramount    December 20

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-2024-predictions-movies-cinemas-1235682149/

I do feel to some capacity that Dune has seen most of the growth it’s going to get. I said this about Across the Spiderverse, but I think that film WAS that series’ “Dark Knight” moment. I don’t really see Beyond having a similar bump to 500 DOM / 1B WW, same way I don’t see Dune Messiah doing 350+/1B.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

Deadline's list of movies at the start of the year that could hit 100m domestic.

Cabrini    Angel Studios    March 8

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-2024-predictions-movies-cinemas-1235682149/

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office $19,509,433 Details
International Box Office $937,833 Details
Worldwide Box Office $20,447,266

Oops.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

I was one of the few that thought Horizon could break out. I thought Costner's fansbase of his tv show would come out for this movie. How wrong i was, this movie needs a What Went Wrong thread

Not really. There was never a hook for this beyond "do you enjoy watching Yellowstone at home for free? Come pay a movie theater price to improve Kevin Costner's bank account!" even before the weak reviews came in.

• Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I was one of the few that thought Horizon could break out. I thought Costner's fansbase of his tv show would come out for this movie. How wrong i was, this movie needs a What Went Wrong thread

I think one look at RT and the reviews answers that question pretty easily. The movie's reviews never improved like Elemental and Dial of Destiny's reviews did after their Cannes disasters and at a time when it's hard to get that audience to see a well reviewed movie in the theaters a poorly reviewed movie never stood a chance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

A movie open to below 10m shouldn’t drop 66% in its second weekend unless it is a total garbage. And the WOM for the movie seem solid enough but here we are. Maybe Covid-19 really killed off too many oldies white. 

Movie couldn't have been less interesting to me, although I may not be the target demo.