kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

Whatever you thought of horizon before the reviews, the fact Warner screened it there is evidence enough that they hoped to build good buzz. It was the big gamble that fatally backfired.

I don't imagine any major studios are going to be returning for awhile after the last couple years.

Edited by AniNate

2 hours ago, ZeroHour said:

Well the original poster who started this conversation was only talking about the Bikeriders, not Horizon. Also TBH the constant complaining about the “doom and gloomers” wears thin around here too. 

Yeah. People complaining about the "doom and gloomers" doesn't make the thread more interesting either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

Movie couldn't have been less interesting to me, although I may not be the target demo.

I know a few people around here say they loved the movie but the general feeling is that people felt it was mid at best and just reminded us of better movies and in the age of streaming and getting the discriminating adult audience to the theaters is not easy the movie was cooked.

2 hours ago, MikeQ said:

I'm thrilled that A Quiet Place: Day One ended up passing $50M - and it's always nice seeing a weekend with two $50M+ grossers. This weekend adds another to the list:

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

80M+

July 21-23, 2023 (both openers)

• Barbie — 162.0M
  • Oppenheimer — 82.5M

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2015

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 145.1M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 51.9M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 9-11, 2023

• Transformers: Rise of the Beasts — 61M
  • Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse — 55.5M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 17-19, 2022

• Jurassic World: Dominion — 59.2M
  • Lightyear — 50.6M

June 28-30, 2024

• Inside Out 2 — 57.4M
  • A Quiet Place: Day One — 53.0M

June 26-28, 2015 (both holdovers)

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017 (both holdovers)

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Peace,

Mike

Thanks for this list!

Here's some more trivia: can you guys guess which movie had the biggest opening weekend against a $100M+ opener on the same weekend BEFORE Oppenheimer, which now obviously holds the record?

8 minutes ago, Insomnia said:

Thanks for this list!

Here's some more trivia: can you guys guess which movie had the biggest opening weekend against a $100M+ opener on the same weekend BEFORE Oppenheimer, which now obviously holds the record?

Mamma Mia at a mere 27 million the weekend of July 18-20 2008  when the Dark Knight opened at 158.

Edited by emoviefan

2 hours ago, AniNate said:

We are back above the 12 months preceding this one, so that at least is something to be positive about.

And hey, Bikeriders, Horizon, and even Quiet Place all still could've done way worse, but they didn't. They are still extra money being made that might not have been. There's usually an imbalance in the summer blockbuster season but at least the options are there.

100%. I don't want to come off like I'm complaining about the box office right now. It's more of a continued evaluation of the big box office picture.

I honestly just think people are going to be antsy until we get a normal, healthy slate in 2025, even if everyone is well aware of the caveats for why this or that is failing at the box office. Because of the strikes and residual covid-induced production backlog, the schedule is just wonky. There's a lack of product, period, and also a bunch of offerings that feel like desperate attempts by studios to try to fill out the calendar and don't really interest anyone.

In short, I can see WHY these movies aren't hits, it's just that there's still general anxiety over how things aren't quite right yet, which is normal.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

I do feel to some capacity that Dune has seen most of the growth it’s going to get. I said this about Across the Spiderverse, but I think that film WAS that series’ “Dark Knight” moment. I don’t really see Beyond having a similar bump to 500 DOM / 1B WW, same way I don’t see Dune Messiah doing 350+/1B.

Interesting. I personally think Beyond is ripe for another explosion from the last one. If Across wasn't as good a movie as it was then I'd agree with you.

We should be celebrating a frankly ludicrous performance from Inside Out, and a great opening for the Quiet Place spin-off.  The battered and bruised Horizon opened weak - to nobody’s surprise if they’d been privy to the negativity ever since Cannes.  Every summer has a couple of big bombs, but right now we should be ecstatic at how much the top two generated. Especially as one of them is in its third weekend. 

11 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Yep and post covid  at a time when as we have discussed on here a lot when fewer people are going to the movies.

Exactly. It's why I think marketing is soooo important in the discussion about the health of the box office. Marketing is actually one of the positives I'm seeing out of the industry this year. Before this year it felt that studios weren't putting in the effort. Like most of their movies were just formalities. This year that feeling has returned of studios making their movies seem like big deals and I think that's hugely important for injecting some energy into the market, which it sorely lacked. People still will go to movies, just make it feel important and a big deal.

I also think the date was a big factor. I've said it before but it feels like studios are starting to hone in on the July part of summer. Someone said that July is beat the heat month (we've just seen this factor in to the box office in June too) and audiences are never more in the mood for movies than during that specific corridor (besides Christmas I guess). This is as opposed to before when the entire summer - May to early August - was equally strong. I think studios realize this and that's why they're more than willing to stack the month, even in the midst of a theatrical climate where tentpoles movies need a lot of space from each other due to PLF dominance.

Put Barbenheimer anywhere else and I doubt it blows up quite that huge, at least on opening weekend.

Edited by Insomnia
  • Like 2