kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Actuals | 57.52M INSIDE OUT II | 52.20M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.05M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

3 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I never said people can’t be happy, it’s just the constant denial doesn’t change reality. I wouldn’t have even brought it up if someone else hadn’t done the whole sarcastic “So everything is perfectly fine just as it’s always been” routine again.

There is a difference between that and "so are theaters dead yet?" That melodramatic doomerism is deserving of mockery.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

I never said people can’t be happy, it’s just the constant denial doesn’t change reality. I wouldn’t have even brought it up if someone else hadn’t done the whole sarcastic “So everything is perfectly fine just as it’s always been” routine again.

What reality? That everything will be fine? 

If you get worked up over blatant sarcasm, idk what to tell you. Specially when you know it yourself. Not everything has been fine, at all. But everything will be fine. Now if you also have an issue with that...

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There is a difference between that and "so are theaters dead yet?" That melodramatic doomerism is deserving of mockery.

5 minutes ago, justnumbers said:

What reality? That everything will be fine? 

If you get worked up over blatant sarcasm, idk what to tell you. Specially when you know it yourself. Not everything has been fine, at all. But everything will be fine. Now if you also have an issue with that...

This is what “worked up” and “doomerism” looks like to people? Ok.

Everyone is right though. Let’s just bury our heads in the sand because it makes people who can’t accept the state of the industry feel bad. Moving on.

Edited by Speedorito

Just now, Krissykins said:

Wait so this did $3.9m in Wednesday previews then $1.6m on opening day, -58%? 

Is this some sort of frontloading record? 

@charlie Jatinder can answer it for sure but ticket prices are inflated for previews. After all it targets niche audience and everyone wants to see it asap. Its their own version of MCU 🙂

6 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@charlie Jatinder can answer it for sure but ticket prices are inflated for previews. After all it targets niche audience and everyone wants to see it asap. Its their own version of MCU 🙂

Yeah its 3.9 + 1.7.

That 1.7 is actually very strong hold, was thinking 1.2-1.3 pre release.

South Indian films are very previews heavy. SS Rajamouli’s next will have $8M+ previews I think for may be $20-25M weekend. WB is likely to distribute that in 2027 ish.

14 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

This is what “worked up” and “doomerism” looks like to people? Ok.

Everyone is right though. Let’s just bury our heads in the sand because it makes people who can’t accept the state of the industry feel bad. Moving on.

Challengers should have saved the box office. The true Fall of theatrical was right there. Someone will have to answer for that come the congressional hearing.

If I could just put in my two cents on this whole "denial of reality" and the current state of Hollwyood right now, I just want to say this:

I know it's bad. I know the state of things isn't good right now. Heck, whenever an original movie bombs (The Watchers) and something that's part of a major IP is a massive hit (Inside Out 2), there's a part of me that isn't all that happy that the most obvious choice to be successful is the most obvious choice. 

However, even if I'm always aware every single day that the industry isn't in a good place right now, I say we should celebrate every win that we get. As long as they get people going to the movies and as long as they keep these theater chains still running, we should at least be grateful for that. 

It doesn't mean we can't be aware of the current state of movies, Hollywood, and the box office as a whole right now, but what would you rather have? Movie theaters that are dominated by franchises or no movie theaters at all and everything is on a streaming service. It may sound controversial, but I'll take the former option anyday over the latter.

Overall, let's just be relieved that theaters are still here today. Otherwise none of us would be hear talking about these numbers. Regardless of how things are in Hollywood right now, I'll take every movie that overperforms (even the franchise films) as a win for the theatrical experience and as a clear sign that it'll never go away.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Thanks. Inflated prices might explain it. But I do wonder if that’s a box office record from previews to opening day drop. 

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also Horizon (Part 1 and naturally, Part 2 in August) tanking as much as it's looking to should hardly be a surprise for anyone. Who was going to pay the price of a ticket for a 3 hour long movie with lousy reviews?

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Going Thursday. Can’t wait. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I probably assumed good faith in that exchange longer than I should have, but yes. And that was always an inevitability with the franchise-driven summer slate. The unimpressive April box office was already proof that we do need these tentpoles to keep the industry running, and just because everything isn't the perfectly balanced, merit-driven industry people wish it was, that doesn't mean there isn't still good things that can come out of it. And just because we still have problems does not mean theaters are dead or even that things can't get better.

Hundreds of thousands of movies are made every year. They may not all get the big marketing campaigns or box office that IO2 or even AQPD1 does, but the original adult stuff will never stop coming. And it gives every movie the chance to get more eyeballs in theaters if at least the tentpoles keep making money. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1