kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Estimates | 57.4M INSIDE OUT II | 53.0M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.0M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

7 hours ago, Krissykins said:

A Quiet Place Day One budget was $67m, that seems reasonable. 

Hoping Day One wins the weekend! Seeing it in IMAX later. 

The budget is over 100m, please stop this Empire'd "everything's roses!" nonsense of believing the budget figures the studios feed Variety heading into the weekend to make their movie look profitable. 

• ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 6

Just now, Flopped said:

The budget is over 100m, please stop this Empire'd "everything's roses!" nonsense of believing the budget figures the studios feed Variety heading into the weekend to make their movie look profitable. 

unless you give a reason for why you think the budget is over $100m, you don't get to act like you know better than anyone else.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kayumanggi said:

BOR is giving AQP: DAY ONE the win against INSIDE OUT II, 58.5M vs 56.5M.

BOT is 66.1M vs 48.0M for an INSIDE OUT II win.

BOP is predicting 50M -55M for both.

so as I said, looks like an exciting race, though that BOT figure for Inside Out 2 seems a bit high.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flopped said:

Have you seen the movie? Do you think they spent 100M on that?

11 minutes ago, Flopped said:

If they're happy with the movie's box office performance whatever budget figure you pull out of thin air doesn't mean crap

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I think those cases are mostly those movie where budgets go overboard, bloated and Studios give a smaller number than reality.

Most times, I'm sure they're pretty accurate, maybe with a very small margin.

But sure. Go off with your self made numbers.

Also on the subject of why A Quiet Place is succeeding where Furiosa fizzled: I don't think there's much mystery as to their outcomes. One is a PG-13 mix of sci-fi and horror that arrived three years after the previous sequel, while the other is an R-rated apocalyptic action had to survive on how much interest remained in the IP after nearly a decade of dormancy. There isn't much analysis that needs to be done on why one soared and the other crashed, really.

Edited by filmlover

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also on the subject of why A Quiet Place is succeeding where Furiosa fizzled: I don't think there's much mystery as to their outcomes. One is a PG-13 mix of sci-fi and horror that arrived three years after the previous sequel, while the other is an R-rated apocalyptic action had to survive on how much interest remained in the IP after nearly a decade of dormancy. There isn't much analysis that needs to be done on why one soared and the other crashed, really.

Mainly i think is just that the hook for AQP always has been the concept itself: the silent tension, afraid of any noise. It just translates very well in the screen, no matter who is leading it. 

Furiosa otherwise is more of a character driven movie.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I also suspect A Quiet Place: Day One will have more interest from female audience than Furiosa.

Edited by Kon

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

Mainly i think is just that the hook for AQP always has been the concept itself: the silent tension, afraid of any noise. It just translates very well in the screen, no matter who is leading it. 

I know some thought the lack of Krasinski and Blunt was going to hurt this, but it doesn't seem to be the case so far. Agreed the concept has always been the draw here.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I honestly believe that something else could be at play here. Lupita Nyong'o. 

She may not be an A-list star like Will Smith, but I feel like a lot of black audiences that are going to show up to see this movie (there were a lot at my screening yesterday), are going because she is billed front and center on the posters and the trailers. That, and those audiences probably know her from either Jordan Peele's Us or the Black Panther movies. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but since we should be expecting an even more diverse turnout for this movie than the last two, some of that credit should go to Nyong'o. 

• Like 4

Also. The prequel is coming after a sequel. I think the sequel was very important on establishing the franchise and make it viable.

I've made this point before but it is shame we didn't get a sequel to Fury Road 1st. I think only that could've made this franchise viable or be a early warning that a prequel would never work. I really do think there's a difference between: movie 》sequel 》prequel/or another sequel AND movie 》prequel

Edited by justnumbers

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm not sure Furiosa is really a character driven movie. The action always seemed the main appeal from Mad Max movies. In fact, AQP movies seem to be more character driven.

It just seems like there wasn't enough interest in Furiosa.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but since we should be expecting an even more diverse turnout for this movie than the last two, some of that credit should go to Nyong'o. 

We should expect to see what the demographics said. That said, I wouldn't be surprised a black audience for Day One is bigger than previous movies.