kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Estimates | 57.4M INSIDE OUT II | 53.0M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.0M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

55 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Horizon bombing proves that just because a series is popular on streaming, that doesn't mean people will get off their couch for a trip to the theaters. Now i understand why Netflix doesn't show their movies in theaters.  The majority of them would flop

Horizon isn't part of the Yellowstone series. It's just a different Western with Costner.

54 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Cannes are among the harshest and strictest when come to film assessment especially for studio fare, not sure why studio think it is a good platform to create buzz. The only studio fare seem to benefit from Cannes in recent years was TGM.

I guess WB thought this whole thing is Eastwood-esque and they like Clint in France, so Horizon would go over great at Cannes, right? Lol no. And from what I've seen, it's not an Elemental situation where the non-Cannes response is so much better.

46 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Horizon isn't part of the Yellowstone series. It's just a different Western with Costner.

I guess WB thought this whole thing is Eastwood-esque and they like Clint in France, so Horizon would go over great at Cannes, right? Lol no. And from what I've seen, it's not an Elemental situation where the non-Cannes response is so much better.

I thought people said Costner went to Cannes in part because he's still actively raising funds for this film and the upcoming ones. I think this is more of a nuts and bolts story than the Indiana Jones/Elemental misfire.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Who's gonna lose more money this year, Costner or Coppola? They both put their own money into these projects

If we say next 2 years, probably Costner. Horizon's seemingly getting a wider release and Costner's claimed he's out ~90M through the third film. There is seemingly a much larger risk horizon fails to claw back P&A (which Horizon has somewhat backstopped) and it sounds like Megaopolis did better with foreign presales (because INT audiences hate westerns)

4 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

If we say next 2 years, probably Costner. Horizon's seemingly getting a wider release and Costner's claimed he's out ~90M through the third film. There is seemingly a much larger risk horizon fails to claw back P&A (which Horizon has somewhat backstopped) and it sounds like Megaopolis did better with foreign presales (because INT audiences hate westerns)

I also listened to the new episode of The Town

• Like 1

2 hours ago, justnumbers said:

So, is WB only distributing? Because it seems Costner put the money for production and advertising. Did WB cover some of Production costs or pay a fee for the movie/package?

WB paid a fee to distribute. There's a fun interview in puck's the town with the founder of Solstace studios (Mark Gill) on this film and big indie films in general which includes Belloni summarizing some findings

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I also listened to the new episode of The Town

🤣. Yeah, meant to throw that reference in. The only thing I disagreed with add from that town podcast is that they seemed to overstate the tax credits. It's 20/25% (as assumed) but seemingly 20/25% of 54M (so ~13.5 instead of 22M-27.5M) according to the state of Utah. I just don't get why there's such a massive discrepancy between the two numbers (even if there are other tax credits on margins) - it's a lot of money they're paying out of pocket. I guess they expected to make it back on the filming of parts 2-4 if some parts didn't qualify initially.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Why did Constner put up his own money for these Horizon films?

Biggest rule in hollywood is never put up your own money when making a movie.

He's done it before with Dances With Wolves and The Postman - so he's known great success and abject failure.   He's almost 70 and I guess he doesn't want to leave it all to his kids.  He said he's been trying to make Horizon since 1988.  If he hadn't found investors for it by now...

• Like 3

Whoever said that projects that skew more senior and white have weaker walkups and projects that skew to younger, diverse audiences have stronger walkups was actually right. Twisters is going to be fucked unless those pre sales pick up because it is not going to have walkups 

Edited by PenguinHyphy

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Whoever said that projects that skew more senior and white have weaker walkups and projects that skew to younger, diverse audiences have stronger walkups was actually right. Twisters is going to be fucked unless those pre sales pick up because it is not going to have walkups 

what if twisters has youth appeal 

Gotta be honest, I don’t get this audience score discrepancy for Day One? Like yeah there are differences, but it’s got the same tension and suspense and action found in the other movies. It’s not this radical departure where I feel if you liked the last two you still wouldn’t like it. Felt the same way with the new Planet of the Apes, so maybe people want action constantly and no quiet moments? Idk idk

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

what if twisters has youth appeal 

People said the same about The Fall Guy and Furiosa because of Barbie and Anya Taylor Joy. They appear to be way more of a discerning demographic than previous younger generations, and influences have obviously become the new movie stars to them 

Edited by PenguinHyphy
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Eric is Quiet said:

Gotta be honest, I don’t get this audience score discrepancy for Day One? Like yeah there are differences, but it’s got the same tension and suspense and action found in the other movies. It’s not this radical departure where I feel if you liked the last two you still wouldn’t like it. Felt the same way with the new Planet of the Apes, so maybe people want action constantly and no quiet moments? Idk idk

I would disagree with the last thing you said because look at Dune: Part Two. That movie doesn't have a whole lot of action, but it got an A from Cinemascore. That's a higher rating than more traditional big action films this year like GodIlla x Kong and The Fall Guy. 

Maybe it's just different audiences going to each movie and what they expect to see versus what they don't get, but it's still pretty strange nonetheless.

46 minutes ago, Eric is Quiet said:

The new apes was not particularly good, as a fan of the franchise. Like, it was definitely the worst of the modern apes as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 2

2 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

The new apes was not particularly good, as a fan of the franchise. Like, it was definitely the worst of the modern apes as far as I'm concerned.

It's far and away better than the first. And just under the quality of the 2nd/3rd films.

4 hours ago, Ryan C said:

Guys, The Numbers has the preview numbers for Horizon. 

They aren't pretty. $800K

CNN just released numbers that 48 million people watched the presidential debate last night. There is likely a lot of audience overlap with those who would go see Horizon. Maybe it had some impact and why we saw awful walkups? 

• Like 1