kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [June 28-30, 2024] | Estimates | 57.4M INSIDE OUT II | 53.0M AQP: DAY ONE | 11.0M HORIZON: AAS - CHAPTER 1

1 minute ago, Ryan C said:

I honestly believe that something else could be at play here. Lupita Nyong'o. 

She may not be an A-list star like Will Smith, but I feel like a lot of black audiences that are going to show up to see this movie (there were a lot at my screening yesterday), are going because she is billed front and center on the posters and the trailers. That, and those audiences probably know her from either Jordan Peele's Us or the Black Panther movies. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but since we should be expecting an even more diverse turnout for this movie than the last two, some of that credit should go to Nyong'o. 

At least from personal experience, the thing that always makes me curious about this was Lupita indeed. Simply love her doing horror-esque movies because she have this wildly expressive eyes and her double performance in US is an all timer for me, so i was cautiously opmistic about this. 

Of course now that the reviews are actually pretty good and apparently Sarnoski did keep his directorial identity in this, i´m more excited. Watching it in a few hours.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Kon said:

I'm not sure Furiosa is really a character driven movie. The action always seemed the main appeal from Mad Max movies. In fact, AQP movies seem to be more character driven.

It just seems like there wasn't enough interest in Furiosa.

That's really what it boils down to. People just didn't want to see a Mad Max prequel starring Furiosa. 

As much as I loved it (I saw it four times), it was obviously made for a very specific audience and not for the mainstream. 

It really sucks, but I'm already kind of past what happened to that film. Though I'm still sure people are going to keep bringing up that film and The Fall Guy as reasons why "cinema is dead" or whatever. 

20 minutes ago, Eric is Quiet said:

Moderation

We aren't doing this "the trades are lying about Quiet Place's budget" nonsense. Anyone who continues this will see a thread ban.

I mean the actors in the film literally mentioned in interviews (before reshoots) that it cost 100M but sure, ok, let's restrict the offensive, taboo subject of....budgets RIP 

Edited by Flopped
  • Knock It Off 3

9 hours ago, cinema pal said:

16% from top critics for Horizon is brutal. Looks like some kind of vendetta)

It's very white, masculine, every female character is beautiful and critics usually complain about natives depiction in westerns no matter what. Maybe they think it's too right wing and old fashioned, or maybe they never forgave Kevin The Postman.

Edited by TomThomas
  • Like 1

Decided to read the verified audience reviews on RT [which dropped to 70% yikes] and yeah ... the complains are indeed that the movie is slow, filled with drama, doesn´t really care about explaining the alien aspect and lacks action. Lots of complains about the misleading trailer as well.

It does seems less a quality problem and more of not getting what was expected. I think it´ll be fine, even with likely low CS.

2 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

It's very white, masculine, every female character is beautiful and critics usually complain about natives depiction in westerns no matter what. Maybe they think it's too right wing and old fashioned, or maybe they never forgave Kevin The Postman.

Most of the critics are man and white, so... maybe it´s just bad

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I honestly believe that something else could be at play here. Lupita Nyong'o. 

She may not be an A-list star like Will Smith, but I feel like a lot of black audiences that are going to show up to see this movie (there were a lot at my screening yesterday), are going because she is billed front and center on the posters and the trailers. That, and those audiences probably know her from either Jordan Peele's Us or the Black Panther movies. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but since we should be expecting an even more diverse turnout for this movie than the last two, some of that credit should go to Nyong'o. 

I agree with Lupita being an added benefit for this. Genre Queen! :wub:

Also feel like Joseph Quinn was a plus here too since his stock is very much on the rise after Eddie Munson was a favorite character on Stranger Things last season and the headlines that he's one of the MCU's Fantastic Four.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I mean the actors in the film literally mentioned in interviews (before reshoots) that it cost 100M but sure, ok, let's restrict the offensive, taboo subject of....budgets RIP 

Not to get into this whole debate about budget, but even if that's true, Day One should still be fine financially. The first film made more than $340M worldwide and Part II made just under $300M worldwide. If Day One could do just that and probably more considering where it's potentially set to open up at, then this movie should make a decent profit. 

36 minutes ago, Flopped said:

A - provide a source so people don't have to go digging into the depths of Google to find that info. 

B - actors do not have first hand access to financial information. If you're referring to that off the cuff alex wolff interview quote where he said "to like a hundred million dollar movie" (in contrast to Pig), that is not a more reliable source than the publicly reported figure 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 13

Moderation

We are also not doing this "critics hate this movie because they're woke" nonsense either. It's not that crazy to think that a movie  maybe got bad reviews because critics just didn't like it. Anybody who continues something like that will also get threadbanned.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

So, marketing will probably play a factor on CinemaScore for A Quiet Place Day One.

I watched the trailer and it absolutely sells a chaotic // action / horror oriented movie. If the movie is mostly a drama with characters talking and evading some few dangers here and there, then we have a problem. Why do studios do this? It's the same thing with that new Exorcist movie with Russell Crowe that was sold as another exorcism movie, but in fact was a movie within a movie concept.

• Like 1

I was admittedly never particularly interested in seeing Horizon but that WB was dumping the two chapters weeks apart should've told everyone that this was going nowhere. Still can't believe that these two combined are nearly 6 hours long...been a while since there was a project that gave real "miniseries that was accidentally turned into a movie after the fact" energy as much as this does.

Just now, filmlover said:

I was admittedly never particularly interested in seeing Horizon but that WB was dumping the two chapters weeks apart should've told everyone that this was going nowhere. Still can't believe that these two combined are nearly 6 hours long...been a while since there was a project that gave real "miniseries that was accidentally turned into a movie after the fact" energy as much as this does.

I mean that's what it was IIRC. I think it was going to be an HBO series, then was turned into a two-part movie epic because Costner had the clout and passion for that. Which to be honest, I do find that weirdly commendable, even if the final product reportedly isn't all that, and that idea does at least have some sort of potential behind it. I'm just bummed Costner's whole story likely isn't going to be told, unless they decide to have Parts 3 and 4 turned into a show/have huge budget cuts.

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think WB didn’t intend to dump these films until the mixed reviews hen they gave up on them.

• Like 1

Just now, ringedmortality said:

I think WB didn’t intend to dump these films until the mixed reviews hen they gave up on them.

Dating the two movies within less than two months apart (vs. giving enough time and space for Part 2 to build momentum) should've been the tell all that they weren't expecting much from these.

24 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Decided to read the verified audience reviews on RT [which dropped to 70% yikes] and yeah ... the complains are indeed that the movie is slow, filled with drama, doesn´t really care about explaining the alien aspect and lacks action. Lots of complains about the misleading trailer as well.

It does seems less a quality problem and more of not getting what was expected. I think it´ll be fine, even with likely low CS.

The early trend look pretty similar to Apes, film twitter seem to receive it more favourably. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, marketing will probably play a factor on CinemaScore for A Quiet Place Day One.

I watched the trailer and it absolutely sells a chaotic // action / horror oriented movie. If the movie is mostly a drama with characters talking and evading some few dangers here and there, then we have a problem. Why do studios do this? It's the same thing with that new Exorcist movie with Russell Crowe that was sold as another exorcism movie, but in fact was a movie within a movie concept.

They believe they just have to get people in the door and everything will be perfectly fine afterwards.