Eric Deetz

Fourth of July/Despicable Me 4 Weekend Thread | 122.61M 5-Day Opening

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/despicable-me-4-box-office-july-fourth-fireworks-1235938768/?taid=6685cb0830fb670001895b0f

Gru and his mischievous minions are hoping to fulfill their patriotic duty and once again set off major fireworks at the Fourth of July box office.

Illumination and Universal’s Despicable Me 4, opening Wednesday in theaters across the U.S., looks to post an opening day gross of $28 million for a five-day holiday debut of $120 million, including $70 million for the three-day weekend, according to early returns. That’s in line with expectations and a strong start for the fourth outing in the main franchise, and the sixth in the Despicable Me/Minions series, which combined ranks as the top-grossing animated franchise of all time

• Like 1

Taking the Despicable Me 2 Pattern which had the same dates

Wed $28M 

Thurs $19.7M (-29.9%)

Fri $24.4M (+24.2%)

Sat $23.5M (-3.6%)

Sun $18.9M (-19.5%)

= $114.4M 5 day OW

Same legs as DM2 gets it to $293M by the 150th Day but maybe it'll hold better with less competition than in 2013 so another $300M+ DOM is easily doable which would be remarkable consistency for this franchise. 

• Like 3

It's highly impressive that the bottom has not fallen out on this franchise at the box office even after 14 years and now 6 movies. 

In the same amount of time, Ice Age went from one of the biggest animated franchises to something that became the animated equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. 

Though I am sure Despicable Me 4 will do perfectly fine, I am hoping that Universal either stops after this one or at least makes  one final Despicable Me movie to cap off the entire franchise on a high note. 

Minions: The Rise of Gru may have been able to give the entire franchise a nostalgia bump, but that can only last them so long. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

It's highly impressive that the bottom has not fallen out on this franchise at the box office even after 14 years and now 6 movies. 

In the same amount of time, Ice Age went from one of the biggest animated franchises to something that became the animated equivalent of Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. 

Though I am sure Despicable Me 4 will do perfectly fine, I am hoping that Universal either stops after this one or at least makes  one final Despicable Me movie to cap off the entire franchise on a high note. 

Minions: The Rise of Gru may have been able to give the entire franchise a nostalgia bump, but that can only last them so long. 

I feel like the ICE AGE movies could have been revived and produced great numbers again if were done right. That franchise was Fox's own DESPICABLE ME.

https://deadline.com/2024/07/box-office-despicable-me-4-1236001250/

So, surprise, surprise, but Minions are the lords of Independence Day.

Illumination/Universal’s Despicable Me 4 is looking at $28M today, sans Tuesday previews (they weren’t held), which is high enough to get the movie to $120M over its first five days of Wednesday to Sunday. That’s where tracking was spotting it, and it’s an amount that underscores the continued upward nature of the current box office as event films crowd on the schedule post double strikes. The Friday-Sunday take for Despicable Me 4 stands at $70M.

Rotten Tomatoes critics aren’t fond of Despicable Me 4 at 53% Rotten, which is lower than Minions. Luckily for Illumination and Universal, their opinions did not prevent audiences from turning this franchise into a multi-billion-dollar grossing phenomenon. Proof? The audience RT score for the fourthquel from director Chris Renaud and Patrick Delage is 89%.

Despicable Me 4 is also going in 52 offshore markets this weekend, including Mexico, Spain and Brazil. The pic has some $25M already in the bank from the international box office, and the total global running total is expected to be around $200M by Sunday.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Man, Ice Age 3 & 4 made almost $900 million each worldwide. I always forget that. Absolute insanity. 

Dark days.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

Ice Age and Transformers are interesting cases of how it took one really bad movie for the audience to get tired about them. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Mickiland16 said:

89% on RT? That doesn't sound good for an animated movie

Ehh, not really. These online audience scores don't allow children to write reviews. This is also the last major kids movie for the summer. I'm sure it'll leg out like the other ones.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Man, Ice Age 3 & 4 made almost $900 million each worldwide. I always forget that. Absolute insanity. 

I know adjusting OS $ doesn't work the same way as domestic, and to do so would be a futile attempt at box office "analysis".

HOWEVER

Just to give some context for how massive these movies were, Ice Age 3's domestic total (according to The Numbers' adjuster) goes from $196 to $282 (just imagine that for a second... that thing grossed almost 300M domestic adjusted). If you apply that same adjustment to its 690 OS total, that would give 992M OS. Which again... adjusting intl numbers does not work the same way as it does for domestic numbers but still: that is INSANE. 

I'm all on board with the "if they made another Ice Age and did it right it would be huge" sentiment. 

• Like 1