AniNate

7/12 weekend thread: Longlegs $22.4m, To the Moon $9.4m

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

This is genuinely an amazing drop for Despicable Me 4. Better than all of the other Despicable Me/Minions movies in their second weekends and puts it on track to get pretty damn close to The Rise of Gru's $370M domestic total. 

Not sure if it will reach $1B, but it doesn't have to at this point. A massive success that the summer box office needed. 

I was worried when Universal announced Minions 3 a few days ago that it would finally be the breaking point for this franchise, but clearly the consistency and interest is there for more of these movies, so I guess I shouldn't be that concerned.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

There is no way that Apple’s board is going to allow them to continue squandering $100,000,000+ on these projects. That is from every huge territory except China and Japan, to make things even more pitiful        

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

There is no way that Apple’s board is going to allow them to continue squandering $100,000,000+ on these projects. That is from every huge territory except China and Japan, to make things even more pitiful        

The movies have to be good. There’s nothing wrong in spending 100M and send it to theaters before putting in the platform, is probably better for them than the Netflix model, so it’s worth it. What have to change is their quality control.

They can’t keep spending 200M in the most generic, visually unappealing and uninteresting ideas and be surprised when no one cares. 

Killers Of The Flower Moon and Napoleon did fine for what they are.

I wonder what some of y'all would have been saying in the 50s when Disney and Warners were churning out multiple shorts of gags with all their cartoons. They are considered classics now, but such is the essence of the Minions appeal - it's the exact same thing in longer form. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Around the same as Bad Boys and Apes in Australia but way below in Mexico and Brazil. Not good at all.

an opening on par with Bad Boys and Apes domestically wouldn’t be bad, if it weren’t facing an 800 pound juggernaut the following weekend 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

an opening on par with Bad Boys and Apes domestically wouldn’t be bad, if it weren’t facing an 800 pound juggernaut the following weekend 

So far, the international data and presales are pointing closer to a Ghostbusters opening.

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Around the same as Bad Boys and Apes in Australia but way below in Mexico and Brazil. Not good at all.

Yeah, kind of confirm there won't be any serious breakout next week, which is sad considering the movie is genuinely good. Disaster fatigue continue. 

9 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I wonder what some of y'all would have been saying in the 50s when Disney and Warners were churning out multiple shorts of gags with all their cartoons. They are considered classics now, but such is the essence of the Minions appeal - it's the exact same thing in longer form. 🤷‍♂️

I mean I grew up watching those cartoons and I still find them funnier than almost anything with the Minions, so…yeah. Believe me, I get the appeal. But if I don’t find their stuff funny, I’m not gonna lie and say I like them.

• Like 3

Will say in hindsight that Twisters probably should have dropped August 2 if it wanted to break out bigly like a lot of us hoped it would. This is basically a redux of Dungeons and Dragons and Dead Reckoning where it had lousy luck opening against a colossal giant. But at least I can understand D&D and Mario having potentially different audiences, or Paramount not expecting Barbenheimer to be what it was. Universal had to have known Deadpool would at least open to the level of Guardians 3 in a worst-case scenario.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Onion said:

Will say in hindsight that Twisters probably should have dropped August 2 if it wanted to break out bigly like a lot of us hoped it would. This is basically a redux of Dungeons and Dragons and Dead Reckoning where it had lousy luck opening against a colossal giant. But at least I can understand D&D and Mario having potentially different audiences, or Paramount not expecting Barbenheimer to be what it was. Universal had to have known Deadpool would at least open to the level of Guardians 3 in a worst-case scenario.

I just don't see much interest out there, at least in my circles. I think people are overblowing the Deadpool thing compared to a general lack of interest tbh.

Posted (edited)

I dunno you could just as easily argue Twisters would still be overshadowed opening after Deadpool. At least it wouldn't be able to reserve the 4000 theaters it's getting this weekend.

I still don't think this OS performance necessarily means it's doomed in North America though. That was always where the lions' share of its take was expected to come from. And I also don't think it's necessarily a given that it collapses against Deadpool like everyone is assuming it will. Mario was PG and Barbie was PG-13.

Edited by AniNate

It's summer. There used to be summers where there was a blockbuster opening to 50m every single weekend. Hell, this March proved that movies can survive against each other with multiple big openings. Twisters is doing shit overseas numbers and had weak presales from day one - both those metrics have nothing to do with Deadpool.

• Like 1

Inside Out 2 is continuing to parallel Barbie pretty closely as of now, it’s $5m ahead - definitely lost a bit of steam because of DM4, but its opening weekend was roughly the same.

Without any more significant family competition (Harold might do Dora numbers at BEST) there’s still very much a path for $650m. 

• Like 1