kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | Actuals | 81.3M TWISTERS | 24.4M DESPICABLE ME IV | 12.8M INSIDE OUT II | 12.0M LONGLEGS

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

I don’t think we can rule out some very nice legs for Twisters OS that will make up somewhat for its middling opening. 

I do think a staggered opening might have helped it though. 

That was not a mid opening. It was outright bad, but that was to be expected based on the subject matter. Expecting Twisters to develop legs OS with the a looming massive OW in Deadpool…

I think $100M+ OS would be a big win 

• Like 3

Also this time Olympics' men's football tournament is quite strong with Argentina, France and Spain as main favourites so there could be more interest from that crowd. Plus some leagues already starting new seasons. A lot of competition for Twisters. Plus that little movie called Deadpool vs Wolverine, of course.

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Colombia and Argentina holds (even all the South American holds) can be easily attributed to Copa America. Colombia vs Argentina was a final for the ages last Sunday, from crowd troubles to late winning goals to Messi being carried off the field, to Enzo causing an international incident on Instagram live.

WB was kind of dumb releasing Twisters early during COPA whereas they held back in Europe due to the Euros.

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Once again we are about to see if breaking news affects BO in this day and age. Most likely not since people get all their news on social media and their phones these days.

I doubt it. This news is more of a relief than a shock.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I think it's funny if this is a big hit for Universal and a flop for WB.

Warner Bros will make money from it or at worst break even from the theatrical run, the budget and marketing costs are split between Universal and WB plus Domain Entertainment is involved too as a co financier. We'd have to wait for Deadline to give us a cost ratio in 2025.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WB was kind of dumb releasing Twisters early during COPA whereas they held back in Europe due to the Euros.

I mean it seems to be a damned no matter what they do situation the way it's looking. Though I'm also not sure Deadpool will kill it overseas either the way everyone is assuming.

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I mean it seems to be a damned no matter what they do situation the way it's looking. Though I'm also not sure Deadpool will kill it overseas either the way everyone is assuming.

It's the downside of a film having two studios involved. Universal likely didn't want to release it earlier in July because of DM4 but also the fact the film was shut down due to the strikes meant that it wasn't possible to release it in May or June due to post production being too tight. 

This is barely gonna gross more than Into the Storm OS.

This brand is Star Trek all over again. In that case Paramount was the sole studio. I wonder what this means for a Twisters sequel.

26 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

That was not a mid opening. It was outright bad, but that was to be expected based on the subject matter. Expecting Twisters to develop legs OS with the a looming massive OW in Deadpool…

I think $100M+ OS would be a big win 

I don't think you can say it should flop OS due to the subject matter. Plenty of disaster films have done big numbers OS even though the subject matter isn't something they experience IRL. I mean, the original Twister grossed more internationally than it did domestically...

Just now, CJohn said:

This is barely gonna gross more than Into the Storm OS.

This brand is Star Trek all over again. In that case Paramount was the sole studio. I wonder what this means for a Twisters sequel.

If only this was 2014 for twisters 3 they could've done the classic OS guarantor of having a random Chinese actor in the cast and setting the third act in Hong Kong. Don't think this play works anymore.

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

Once again we are about to see if breaking news affects BO in this day and age. Most likely not since people get all their news on social media and their phones these days.

This news is different. Numbers might actually go up 😉 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

18 minutes ago, AniNate said:

The problem is it doesn’t have much life OS and with how big Deadpool is going to be, I don’t see how a film with already low interest survives 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The problem is it doesn’t have much life OS and with how big Deadpool is going to be, I don’t see how a film with already low interest survives 

Not sure what intl distribution contracts entail but if it can keep its theaters that does leave more room for the spillover effect

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I don't think you can say it should flop OS due to the subject matter. Plenty of disaster films have done big numbers OS even though the subject matter isn't something they experience IRL. I mean, the original Twister grossed more internationally than it did domestically...

Can’t really think of any other reasons it’s a dud OS…

I mean TGM did well and that was American centric

Just now, TheFlatLannister said:

Can’t really think of any other reasons it’s a dud OS…

I mean TGM did well and that was American centric

The answer to TGM's success was Tom Cruise