Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

45 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

NWH had to compete against COVID and didn't have China (would've been huge there).

Deadpool 3 doesn't have holiday legs like No Way Home.

And No Way Home had the luxury of being the first big event in two years and having a pent up demand for experiencing something like that in the cinema. 

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 1

I think it's perfectly fine (good even!) to praise people for correct predictions, but I do think it's wrong to crap on people for wrong predictions. For example, TheFlatLannister deserved to be praised because on that Reddit thread he said "no way DP x Wolverine makes less than the previous two movies" and he ended up being completely correct. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

7 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

And heck, if we really want to get into the brass tax, everybody thought Guardians 3 missing a billion or 400M domestically was seen as ludicrous. It could never happen in a million years. Marvel was too strong for something like that to happen. I saw those predictions myself. And wouldn't you know it? Despite it having everything seemingly going for it, that didn't happen.

Who's "everybody"? There were so many of us saying that GotG2 was a weaker film than the original since 2017. Add to that the butchering that Peter Quill's character went through in Infinity War. Mix that up with all the BTS drama with Gunn and then Pratt's own polarizing real-life persona. The cherry on the top was Quantum-mania bombage which definitely affected GotG3 but to say otherwise it had "everything seemingly going for it" is just not paying attention.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

What if it's two if It Ends With Us breaks out to 40m+

It would give Blake Lively some bragging rights with her husband.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I mean this just proves again the MCU will be fine when it leans on the legacy characters but whether their films can do great numbers without remains to be seen.

Marvel started with a bunch of C-List characters as far as the general audience was concerned.

The MCU was considered so risky that Marvel had to offer the movie rights to all their characters as collateral. 

MCU will be fine, but I don';t think it will ever return to the glory days 2012 to 2019, which almost every film it turned out was a hit.

That was a once in a lifetime phenemenon. It could not last forever, and unlikely it will repeat itsefl.

It is going to have mixture of hits, flops, and modest sucesses. Won;t hit a home run every time out the way it used to.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Marvel started with a bunch of C-List characters as far as the general audience was concerned.

The MCU was considered so risky that Marvel had to offer the movie rights to all their characters as collateral. 

People basically forget that Marvel sold the rights to what was then it's biggest characters...X Men, Spidey, and the Fantastic Four...to Sony and Fox in the mid 90's, for reletively little money...at a time when Marvel was in finiancial trouble, and needed cash fast.

12 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

There were so many of us saying that GotG2 was a weaker film than the original since 2017.

And they are wrong and should be ignored.

• Like 2

FWIW when it was announced Hugh was returning in late 2022, it was around the same time his Oscar contender (remember The Son? No? Alright then) that year turned out to be a total flop. Don't think anyone could blame him for signing for this both for the nice paycheck and the career insurance tbh.

In the end, though, I'd say it worked out for everybody!

30 minutes ago, Eric Wilson said:

I mean...yeah, I probably would have said the same thing this guy on Reddit said months ago. Because yeah. Comic book movies are on a downslide in popularity. They've been on a decline for a couple years now. I can see a scenario where people saw Wolverine's casting as "desperate". I know I certainly felt that way. And heck, if we really want to get into the brass tax, everybody thought Guardians 3 missing a billion or 400M domestically was seen as ludicrous. It could never happen in a million years. Marvel was too strong for something like that to happen. I saw those predictions myself. And wouldn't you know it? Despite it having everything seemingly going for it, that didn't happen.

I don't think we need to get all dramatic and angry because somebody made a "wrong prediction". It's not like you guys made "wrong predictions" before, right?

I mean there's a difference between wrong predictions and outright trolling. It doesn't make sense to think a Deadpool and Wolverine film was going to gross less than Deadpool 1 and 2 which weren't even a part of the MCU

3 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I mean there's a difference between wrong predictions and outright trolling. It doesn't make sense to think a Deadpool and Wolverine film was going to gross less than Deadpool 1 and 2 which weren't even a part of the MCU

What's your prediction for where this movie ends OW and DOM?

1 hour ago, cookieleeann said:

I am currently at the theater and there are wayyyy more kids here than I can remember for a Deadpool film. I do remember seeing a lot of kids during Deadpool 1 but half of the audience here so far appear to ages 5-13

Great parenting. Every kid in the world needs to see D&W.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

And they are wrong and should be ignored.

Then there should be no pearl clutching because they didn't turn up for GotG3 as they fell out of love with the franchise

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Not that uncommon. Schindler's list, American sniper, Dances with Wolves, Terminator 2, Slumdog Millionaire, passion of the christ, Girls Trip, Lone survivor. the king speech

Wait how on earth did Girls Trip have an A+ CinemaScore? Comedies especially R rated ones usually struggle to get higher than a B+...