Eric Deetz

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

5 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

Love and Thunder still made a profit and was a financial success even though it should have done much more.

I wasn’t selective, I picked examples of MCU movies being successful to show that they still can have success despite flops like The Marvels. Ant-Man also had the hype but the quality was trash. Here people are just presuming everything will flop regardless of quality outside of Avengers, Spider-Man and X-Men. Also it’s already now that Marvel is pulling back on budgets so don’t know why people are presuming every movie going forward it’s going to be 200M+ when that’s most likely not gong to be a success.

I’d bet the three next year are at $200m, they’d no doubt already been greenlit before marvel had to be more careful. 

Plus, let’s not forget audience reception and quality. All those B cinemascores they were never used to. Marvel themselves have admitted the last few years have been rough for them. 

Can’t Marvel fans just enjoy the success of this film? I don’t think they’ll be at this level again until the next Avengers film. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, thajdikt said:

It made over 200M in estimated profit lmao.

How? I remember reading it had a 250m budget and they matched that with the marketing budget too by pulling advertising money away from Lightyear and Strange World? That would mean they spent around 500m on it

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I’d bet the three next year are at $200m, they’d no doubt already been greenlit before marvel had to be more careful. 

Plus, let’s not forget audience reception and quality. All those B cinemascores they were never used to. Marvel themselves have admitted the last few years have been rough for them. 

Can’t Marvel fans just enjoy the success of this film? I don’t think they’ll be at this level again until the next Avengers film. 

I’m not the one in this thread saying everything up until the avengers is going to flop massively. I don’t think they will be at that level either and that was never my point. I feel like you’re arguing against me for something that I’m not even saying. 

10 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

How? I remember reading it had a 250m budget and they matched that with the marketing budget too by pulling advertising money away from Lightyear and Strange World? That would mean they spent around 500m on it

You do realize it made almost 850M with 450 being domestic? If you’re going to claim something maybe double check the facts buddy

It had 200M budget according to deadline. And 190M in marketing. 110M less than ur claiming. Now those figures might be bs but it is what we got.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joyous Legion said:

Pretty dubious. Venom probably 600+ and joker 1B unclear 

Last Venom barely crossed 500 mln with Carnage as a big hook, this one doesn't have a hook and it'll probably be terrible just like first 2.

Edited by TomThomas

Idk the specifics of the debate prior to page 32. I am just a humble industry follower a few drinks in at 2am consuming a delicious street burrito. My single contribution is pointing out that $200m today is $150m a decade ago. You gotta get to about $265m in spending today to reach what would have been $200m a decade ago. Time flies, but money flies faster.

I actually can’t remember the point I was intending on make with this stat. I know it was a good one. But I’m gonna give up on this post and continue enjoying the burrito.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

Last Venom barely crossed 500 mln with Carnage as a big hook, this one doesn't have a hook and it'll probably be terrible just like first 2.

It was deep in Covid to its knees. Should increase

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

https://deadline.com/2023/04/black-panther-wakanda-forever-box-office-profits-1235320190/

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

18 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

You do realize it made almost 850M with 450 being domestic? If you’re going to claim something maybe double check the facts buddy

It had 200M budget according to deadline. And 190M in marketing. 110M less than ur claiming. Now those figures might be bs but it is what we got.

on IMDb the budget is listed as 250m

16 minutes ago, fmpro said:

That is plus Home Entertainment and Television and streaming included...! From a cimematic prospective alone it flopped.. But if you include ON Demand and Television and streaming rights then it made profit tho Thor was a bigger flop

Edited by Geo1500

The thing with MCU 2025 movies is that they need to be great and have good critic scores to make money IMO. There is no saving for Cap 4, Thunderbolts or Fantastic Four if they get the same reception as Quantumania, Love and Thunder or even Multiverse of Madness. However, if they are great I could see them surprising, specially Fantastic Four, as they seem to not have any multiverse shenanigans and to be their own thing (which I think helped GotGV3). 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, thajdikt said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/box-office-black-panther-wakanda-forever-marvel-steven-spielberg-fabelmans-1235431385/

Deadline here saying the budget is 250m.

If you're going to claim something....

Even with a combined cost of 390m like you claimed, thats no where near 200m in profit. We know the budget is 250m and if the marketing budget is 190m, then i dont know how it could have made a profit with the 50% rule

Edited by Jaxon5

31 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

I agree it’ll probably be bad like the first two but GA clearly doesn’t mind at this point. V3 has a bigger hook imo with the symbiote planet invasion/final chapter stuff, but most importantly is China — V2 was a casualty of marvel/hw relations there at the time but v3 will very likely get a release given that DPW did

3 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-office/box-office-black-panther-wakanda-forever-marvel-steven-spielberg-fabelmans-1235431385/

Deadline here saying the budget is 250m.

If you're going to claim something....

Even with a combined cost of 390m like you claimed, thats no where near 200m in profit. We know the budget is 250m and if the marketing budget is 190m, then i dont know how it could have made a profit with the 50% rule

Deadline says here while linking a variety article 🤷🏿‍♂️ the profit isn’t just from box office, it’s everything.

11 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

The thing with MCU 2025 movies is that they need to be great and have good critic scores to make money IMO. There is no saving for Cap 4, Thunderbolts or Fantastic Four if they get the same reception as Quantumania, Love and Thunder or even Multiverse of Madness. However, if they are great I could see them surprising, specially Fantastic Four, as they seem to not have any multiverse shenanigans and to be their own thing (which I think helped GotGV3). 

And that’s how it should be. Make good movie and get rewarded. 

16 minutes ago, AN9815 said:

I think GOTG being it's own thing helped Chris Pratt break out as a movie star more than everyone else who felt more anchored down by their MCU characters.

28 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

That is plus Home Entertainment and Television and streaming included...! From a cimematic prospective alone it flopped.. But if you include ON Demand and Television and streaming rights then it made profit tho Thor was a bigger flop

Most movies would flop if you didn't include incillary. They are part of the equation.

• Thanks 1