kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

1 minute ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I'm probably way more pessimistic on that film than you are. Really wish Fantastic Four was kicking off the summer but that can't happen. Obviously won't open to Fall Guy levels but I could see The Marvels numbers DOM tbh.

I'm actually not that optimistic about Thunderbolts' box office prospects. I just think that we should be in a "wait and see" attitude with that one. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I'm actually not that optimistic about Thunderbolts' box office prospects. I just think that we should be in a "wait and see" attitude with that one. 

I concur. There is something they are hiding with Thunderbolts*. They could pull it off. 

8 hours ago, Geo1500 said:

You can add Wolverine you can reboot him in every generation he will sell.

These are the 4 popular characters in comic book history and bread winners

Wolverine is only character you listed here who has never been rebooted while we have had at least 3 of all the others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, toutvabien said:

Last Stand opened to $102 million in 2006... the only films to open bigger were Shrek 2, Revenge of the Sith and Spidey 2002... Those movies had insane momentum back then.

Yeah wasn't that like top 5 biggest opening weekends back then?

Prediction for both Deadpool & Wolverine and Inside Out 2 for the rest of the week including next weekend:

Deadpool & Wolverine 2nd week - $435-445 million domestic (Jurassic World did $445,840,775 on week 2)

3rd weekend prediction: $48-55 million which would translate to $483-500 million

Inside Out 2 8th week - $631-633 million (no family competition til Transformers One and The Wild Robot next month)

9th weekend prediction - $4-5 million, which could surpass Barbie domestic box office gross.

Edited by Migs20242
  • Like 1

Only briefly skimmed a little of stuff from when I was asleep but it’s pretty self-evident that both:  

Way of Water OS performance was, once again, absolute insanity, particularly OS-C. Gross or admits doesn’t matter avatar is undisputed king franchisee of OS, and by kind of a goofy margin at that

Domestically its performance was that of a big movie but nothing particularly special beyond that. The amount of people it attracted to the cinema is at that “one of the bigger movies of a year” level not the “one of the biggest movies of a generation” level. And that’s true if you look just post-pandemic, let along bringing earlier years into it

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The MCU feels like it's building towards something again.

No it doesn’t. That announcement came out of nowhere and there’s only one movie building directly into it. I mean it’s going to work in their favor but RDJ as Doom is going to have as much build up as like Ultron. Not Thanos or even Loki (who was at least the antagonist of one movie prior)

3 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Rough estimate, around 450 DOM by EOD Thursday. ~55 wknd for ~505 by EOD Sunday. Maybe 660 final?

@Cooper Legion does this sound right?

Sue, ballpark. Maybe like 445/500/665 at a glance 

5 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Rough estimate, around 450 DOM by EOD Thursday. ~55 wknd for ~505 by EOD Sunday. Maybe 660 final?

@Cooper Legion does this sound right?

Jurassic World reached 500 million domestic during third weekend, which translate to almost 49% weekend drop with $54 million. I think Deadpool & Wolverine could have another 50% percent weekend drop next weekend due to some loss of theater screens of PLF and IMAX to Borderlands.

Either way, the 2024 domestic box office crown race is going to be very close.

Edited by Migs20242

8 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Domestically its performance was that of a big movie but nothing particularly special beyond that. The amount of people it attracted to the cinema is at that “one of the bigger movies of a year” level not the “one of the biggest movies of a generation” level. And that’s true if you look just post-pandemic, let along bringing earlier years into it

Yeah this is kinda my thought process. Avatar 2 admits is a "once or twice a year" kinda performance whereas Avatar 1 admits is a "once or twice a decade" kinda performance. An original movie selling 74M admissions is fucking insanity, and this isn't like a Dark Knight where it had massive cultural influence and one of the most iconic movies in cinema story, most people just refer to Avatar 1 as "uhh wait are you talking about the cartoon or the one with blue people?"

Edited by HummingLemon496

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IO2 if follows TS4 will just about reach $650M. Jurassic World might live.

Now it's upon DP3 to take on it.

@Brainbug

tumblr_pcwj6xts4N1xxqx93o4_500.gif

You shall not praise me but praise the lord (JW) whos will and judgement i only preach.

And his will was written: "Any big blockbuster movie may gross as much as 600M, 640M, 650M, yes, maybe even 651M ... but not more. It shall not be allowed"

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IO2 if follows TS4 will just about reach $650M. Jurassic World might live.

Now it's upon DP3 to take on it.

@Brainbug

tumblr_pcwj6xts4N1xxqx93o4_500.gif

I don't think Jurassic World is living. 

Inside Out 2 fell only 22% this weekend and with literally no competition next weekend (nothing even on the level of Harold and the Purple Crayon) I'm expecting it to have the exact same drop, which would have it making about $5M next weekend. 

After that, it'll be either just behind or above Jurassic World's pace at the same point in time. Since there's no kid-friendly competition until September and Pixar movies almost usually get a boost from Labor Day weekend (not to mention possibly National Cinema Day), I think Inside Out 2 does between $655M-$665M

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

I expect IO2 and DPW to both pass it at this point. Small chance that IO2 does so slightly slower thus never tasting top 10, but more likely I think it will get a week or two in top 10, one of shortest stays ever. Should remain up in the air the order that all 3 finish for a few more weeks at least

Edited by Cooper Legion
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

You shall not praise me but praise the lord (JW) whos will and judgement i only preach.

And his will was written: "Any big blockbuster movie may gross as much as 600M, 640M, 650M, yes, maybe even 651M ... but not more. It shall not be allowed"

Cmon, let me gross 653.3M, as a treat

• Disbelief 1

Again Comparison with Jurassic World, i know everyone wants the Jurassic World rub, but let it go

Even if they somehow manage to outdo Jurassic World, they won't match the excitement and sheer aura Jurassic World had when it opened back in 2015.

Even the biggest experts were at what were they witnessing.

BOT weekend thread is example.

• Haha 1

JW1 was a great surprise run of course but the reason it draws particular goal statements atm is being the border of top 10. If that changes people will talk about “can it pass DPW” more than “can it pass JW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1