kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers [Aug 02 - Aug 04, 2024] | Actuals | 96.81M DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE | 22.80M TWISTERS | 15.45M TRAP

I'm sure 2025 will fill up with more interesting under the radar stuff eventually but yes, as of right now it doesn't look like much of a box office barnstormer save for some of the Disney tentpoles. I am interested in a lot of the original auteur stuff that is already on the schedule, but of course those are inherent wild cards.

• Like 1

All right here's a way off topic post that has nothing to do with this weekend's box office but as I've said in the past it's okay to diverge every once in awhile talk about playgrounds and dinners and what movies we like and so on.

Just finished watching Only the Brave, this is only my second time seeing it. I remember really enjoying it the first time I saw it whatever year it came out. But for some reason tonight it really hit me emotionally. It's based on a true story where 19 firefighters really did die fighting a wild fire in the state of arizona. 

But beyond the firefighting it's about family and Redemption and friendship and loyalty and Trust and the movie really got me emotional. I thought Miles Teller was outstanding in it and Jennifer Connelly, man that woman can act. 

Those of you here who have not seen it I would highly recommend checking it out.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m usually playing control characters when I play Valorant, so I have no idea who I’d like to main lol. But I do think Rivals might end up having a full blown competitive scene. Surprised this is getting hyped up as a great shooter coming out of NetEase out of all developers. 

NetEase definitely put alot of love/effort into MR. Alot of hardened gamers/streamers had to admit the game is fun.

They're current doing a closed beta and it's around #65 in the top 100 most played games on steam. So I'd imagine it will be much more popular once it's officially released.

It won't be for everyone but people who like Marvel and Overwatch should dig it.

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

NetEase definitely put alot of love/effort into MR. Alot of hardened gamers/streamers had to admit the game is fun.

They're current doing a closed beta and it's around #65 in the top 100 most played games on steam. So I'd imagine it will be much more popular once it's officially released.

It won't be for everyone but people who like Marvel and Overwatch should dig it.

Valorant is getting old. It’s the nature of competitive shooters to get replaced by the new hottest thing. If NetEase play their cards right and do a decent job fostering their competitive scene - with Riot Games fumbling as much as they’ve been the last two years it isn’t even that much of a tall order - I see a lot of people migrating to that game. Game looks gorgeous and I’ve learned that a lot of key devs that previously worked on acclaimed FPS shooters are working with them now. 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

All right here's a way off topic post that has nothing to do with this weekend's box office but as I've said in the past it's okay to diverge every once in awhile talk about playgrounds and dinners and what movies we like and so on.

Just finished watching Only the Brave, this is only my second time seeing it. I remember really enjoying it the first time I saw it whatever year it came out. But for some reason tonight it really hit me emotionally. It's based on a true story where 19 firefighters really did die fighting a wild fire in the state of arizona. 

But beyond the firefighting it's about family and Redemption and friendship and loyalty and Trust and the movie really got me emotional. I thought Miles Teller was outstanding in it and Jennifer Connelly, man that woman can act. 

Those of you here who have not seen it I would highly recommend checking it out.

To complete the off-topic chat, knowing baumer’s tastes I’d like to highly recommend him watching Loki. It’s the kind of cape stuff that knowing a bit of his tastes, he would be all over. Did a rewatch before Deadpool & Wolverine and after that film and the newly announced comic that is bringing the characters from the MCU to the comics I can’t take that series out of my head and I genuinely think it’s an all timer when it comes to the MCU and one of the best series of the decade so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

I’m watching Logan with my mother and her bf tonight and taking them to watch Deadpool and Wolverine tomorrow. Not because I want to, but because people they know told them it was hilarious. We are talking two 60+ year olds here. Not only Marvel Studios perfected event blockbuster cinema, Ryan Reynolds is right: this is truly the first 4 quadrant Rated R film.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day was the first 4 quadrant R rated film.

Just now, JimmyB said:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day was the first 4 quadrant R rated film.

My mother didn’t let me go to the theaters to watch that. I had to watch with my godfather behind my parents back when it got the VHS release. But hey, I could see there is an argument for that.

• Like 1

TOP 3 for 25- MI 8

Fantastic 4

Superman

26-Doomsday

Untitled Spielberg

Project Hail Mary

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

To complete the off-topic chat, knowing baumer’s tastes I’d like to highly recommend him watching Loki. It’s the kind of cape stuff that knowing a bit of his tastes, he would be all over. Did a rewatch before Deadpool & Wolverine and after that film and the newly announced comic that is bringing the characters from the MCU to the comics I can’t take that series out of my head and I genuinely think it’s an all timer when it comes to the MCU and one of the best series of the decade so far.

Only problem with watching Loki is that I don't have Disney right now. But I do plan on getting it back again sometime soon and I will take your advice

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Speaking of Marvel Rivals, and tying the conversation into film ever so slightly, I wish there was at least one character that was directly from the Marvel Studios universe.

Trevor! :ohmygod:

• Haha 2

I was going to post this before we saw the big update, but might as well do it now. 

Since this'll become relevant in the next week or so, here are the Top 10 Highest-Grossing R-Rated Films Domestically and Adjusted For Inflation (from 1969-2024 and with average 2023 ticket price). This comes from Indiewire who put this together last week right when Deadpool and Wolverine opened. 

1. The Exorcist - $1.194B

2. The Godfather - $852M

3. Beverly Hills Cop - $725M

4. Blazing Saddles - $679M

5. National Lampoon's Animal House - $647M

6. The Passion of the Christ - $644M

7. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - $595M

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - $579M

9. M*A*S*H - $578M

10. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - $526M

Feel free to leave your thoughts on where you think Deadpool and Wolverine will end up, but now I am pretty confident that it will enter this Top 10 and could get as high as #5

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

I was going to post this before we saw the big update, but might as well do it now. 

Since this'll become relevant in the next week or so, here are the Top 10 Highest-Grossing R-Rated Films Domestically and Adjusted For Inflation (from 1969-2024 and with average 2023 ticket price). This comes from Indiewire who put this together last week right when Deadpool and Wolverine opened. 

1. The Exorcist - $1.194B

2. The Godfather - $852M

3. Beverly Hills Cop - $725M

4. Blazing Saddles - $679M

5. National Lampoon's Animal House - $647M

6. The Passion of the Christ - $644M

7. The Rocky Horror Picture Show - $595M

8. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - $579M

9. M*A*S*H - $578M

10. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - $526M

Feel free to leave your thoughts on where you think Deadpool and Wolverine will end up, but now I am pretty confident that it will enter this Top 10 and could get as high as #5

Sad when a third sequel to No 3 on that list is a streaming release only.