Bob Train

8/12-8/15 Weekdays Thread | It Ends With Us $6.2m Monday

2 hours ago, Ryan C said:

https://deadline.com/2024/08/blake-lively-ryan-reynolds-box-office-it-ends-with-us-deadpool-1236039836/

Estimated Tuesday for It Ends with Us: $7.6M

Estimated Tuesday for Deadpool and Wolverine: $7M

It’s outgrossing The Fault In Our Stars at this point. That movie did 5M Monday off of a similar weekend, and did not increase on Tuesday. I was initially saying it would wind up with around the gross of the 50 Shades sequels, but thinking 130M or so is possible. 

Granted, Fault would be ahead of you adjust for inflation which, I guess you could do if you care enough. That movie had (roughly) a 63/168 run adjusted.

37 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Ouch! Such severely low rankings for poor JW: Dominion in almost every corner. 😔🤕

Brainbug won’t be happy about this.

@Brainbug

Deep down inside he is also unhappy though 😭😣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Cooper Legion said:

Engaging spin mode: Any schmuck can hit 1B with a truly great movie but it takes a truly impressive franchise to hit 1B with a movie like Dominion ;) 

Basically how I feel about the Despicable Me franchise. Guess they'll just forever gross around $900M to $1B forever even when cinema is dead 

After crawdads and HG prequel, maybe it is time to consider if the post-covid BO dynamic shifts has made female driven book adaptation more leggy ? 

Similar situation happened to horror, today horror is no longer a frontloaded genre like we used to assume.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

After crawdads and HG prequel, maybe it is time to consider if the post-covid BO dynamic shifts has made female driven book adaptation more leggy ? 

Similar situation happened to horror, today horror is no longer a frontloaded genre like we used to assume.

Feels like almost everything is leggier these days. Superhero movies seem to be the one exception, more frontloaded than ever, thougn  who knows if Deadpool 3 is a sign of things to come?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Not a book adaption but also anyone but you as female driven movie.

In general seems to me a lot of movies are be coming more leggy. I'm starting to think the promotion on traditional media doesn't reach very young people anymore and Tik Tok makes the job, so people discover some movies when they are out and they became viral there.

See inside out 2. I mean It's a sequel of a very big first movie. A 4x plus multiplier is incredibile after a such big opening for a sequel.

Honestly before the movie i didn't see that much buzz. Once It comes out and only after it cames out Tik Tok exploded.

Edited by vale9001

The narrative that superhero films are somehow less or more leggier / frontloaded  than they ever were just like superhero fatigue being a thing is one of the worst BOT and film twitter takes, which are easily disproven time and time again despite some trying to make fetch happen. I understand people trashing Scott Mendelson and Empire here there and again, but when it comes to box office takes, they have been fairly very accurate and fair when it comes to understand box office movements.

Which makes me think of this tweet about the Olympics rating that Mendelson retweeted these days:

Occam’s razor is our friend. I know it’s tempting to try and look for esoteric, juicier and sexier theories about market shifts, superhero fatigue, and etc. From wishful thinking to a box office pundit standpoint, I get that. But sometimes the answer is much more simpler. There were Marvel Studios films that didn’t make to $1B worldwide before and after the pandemic. There certainly will be Marvel Studios films that enjoy very long legs in the future, just like Deadpool & Wolverine, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Avengers: Endgame and Black Panther. But they were always the exception of the rule, not the norm.  

Sometimes the less sexy and boring answer is the right one. Marvel Studios has been the biggest game in the blockbuster game since 2012’s The Avengers. And it doesn’t look like that will change anytime soon.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1