Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

2 hours ago, emoviefan said:

That Twister OS performance is going to be one of the mysteries  of the year. WB just dropped the ball on how to sell it I guess. 

totally baffling how it dropped 70% from the first film, while domestic fell 0%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

totally baffling how it dropped 70% from the first film, while domestic fell 0%.

First film sold the names of Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton at the height of their success and fame, and also the director of Speed. This one has nothing to sell outside the US.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baumer said:

What are you talking about dude? That's an 80% jump on Friday from thursday. That's better than openheimer did last year on the same date. It's on Pace for about 27 million dollars this weekend.

30m sounds more sexy though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

First film sold the names of Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton at the height of their success and fame, and also the director of Speed. This one has nothing to sell outside the US.

I don't really buy that. Disaster movies have historically done well internationally.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Disaster movies used to be huge around that time in overseas markets. Just look at ID4 that year

Though I'd have expected far more than what it's doing

Edited by Jaxon5

2 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

All this + add in Special Effects not seen before on the big screen.    It makes sense why Twisters didn't sell overseas.   

Around, the 1 hour mark the two leads go on a Rodeo date and the movie pulls a Godzilla 2014 and just shows the aftermath.  The next 35 mins is set at her mother's house.  If you arent invested in the two leads falling for each other as they try to figure out how to stop a tornado....it's a tough watch. 

6 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Disaster movies used to be huge around that time in overseas markets. Just look at ID4 that year

That's not a trend exclusive to the 90s. Disaster movies in 2000s and 2010s have done great overseas.

2012 - 166m dom, 590m OS

Day after Tomorrow - 186m dom, 370m OS

San Andreas - 155m dom, 300m OS

Geostorm - 33m dom, 187m OS

ID4 2 - 103m dom, 281m OS

Gravity - 274m dom, 410m OS

not to mention all the godzilla and jurassic park films that have done gangbusters OS.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 2

i can tell you in my country Jurassic Park or Independence Day are cult and they are on TV at least one time at year and on prime time. I never saw Twisters in my life, feels like kinda forgotten here. I'm not surprised the new one here was a flop. 

Edited by vale9001

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I think it’s too white. It screams middle America and a film that you would watch at home, not really at a movie theater. I think some films just connect better domestic than others, I’d argue that twister as a phenomenon is also much more of a NA fear, even if we do have extreme weather events occurring across the globe. It’s different than other catastrophe films like Emmerich used to put out because that felt like a global threat. It feels uneventful for those outside the NA, I’d wager.

Bond is too white though and those movies are a constant overseas draw. Twister was the 2nd highest overseas grosser back in 96 and I think part of the reason was star power. Bill Paxton and especially Helen Hunt were bigger draws overseas than Glen is right now but his career has only just started. Clearly he has some pull with US audiences right now

14 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

Bond is too white though and those movies are a constant overseas draw. Twister was the 2nd highest overseas grosser back in 96 and I think part of the reason was star power. Bill Paxton and especially Helen Hunt were bigger draws overseas than Glen is right now but his career has only just started. Clearly he has some pull with US audiences right now

Bill Paxton and Elen Hunt? Are you serious?

That film was sold abroad with Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton at the height of their fame and success. I was there, no one went to see Twister for its actors.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

All this + add in Special Effects not seen before on the big screen.    It makes sense why Twisters didn't sell overseas.   

Around, the 1 hour mark the two leads go on a Rodeo date and the movie pulls a Godzilla 2014 and just shows the aftermath.  The next 35 mins is set at her mother's house.  If you arent invested in the two leads falling for each other as they try to figure out how to stop a tornado....it's a tough watch. 

That too.

Twisters had two speeds even within the American market: much higher takings in some countries than in others. Almost a "regional" phenomenon.

23 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

That's definitely part of it but I don't think it's all about star power. Bond marketing materials stress something like "live the aspirational globetrotting life of James Bond" (in addition to stuff like cool stunts). "James Bond fans" is a very strong brand you can find in potential marketing as seen by the fact they advertised the London games by having the character James Bond jump with the "Queen of England" into the opening ceremonies. 

Calling it "white" is probably wrong/simplistic, but it really does seem tautologically that marketing has failed to connect what is pitched as a specific subculture resonate via more universal themes. 

Twisters had two speeds even within the American market: much higher takings in some countries than in others. Almost a "regional" phenomenon.

Let's test that out. The "south" (1 of 5 major regions in film tracking which I believe includes most what we might call "big 12" states) was indexing at 40% instead of the normal 20% early in the run. If that maintained, that's 460M DOM/175M Dom alternatives. Even that gets you to 68% domestic which would be very domestically skewed (even within lower bounds of reasonable). I think the film's made too much overall in the US and too little INT for regional phenomenon to work for INT box office (even if clearly true domestically). 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

3 hours ago, baumer said:

What are you talking about dude? That's an 80% jump on Friday from thursday. That's better than openheimer did last year on the same date. It's on Pace for about 27 million dollars this weekend.

Idk why Oppenheimer is used as a comp when it made half of 600 mil.

41 minutes ago, Jaxon5 said:

with white we mean it seems about rural america. That's not the America sells more. This is why i was talking about country music. That's a kind of music doesn't have any international market expect for very few artists in the past cause it doesn't represent the most popular image of America, which is New york, Washington, Los Angeles and the big cities.

I remember The day after tomorrow had a poster with the Statue of the liberty under the ice. Indipendence day had the White House. That sells a lot better than cows inside an hurricane. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Avatree said:

That's not a trend exclusive to the 90s. Disaster movies in 2000s and 2010s have done great overseas.

2012 - 166m dom, 590m OS

Day after Tomorrow - 186m dom, 370m OS

San Andreas - 155m dom, 300m OS

Geostorm - 33m dom, 187m OS

ID4 2 - 103m dom, 281m OS

Gravity - 274m dom, 410m OS

not to mention all the godzilla and jurassic park films that have done gangbusters OS.

Comic book movies and other IP's like Transformers seem to have taken over in the early 2010's as you get the same level of spectacle with proven brands. There is a descending trend of interest in your list..

2004: TDAT - 370m

2009: 2012 - 590m

2013: Gravity - 498m

2015: San Andreas - 300m

2016: ID4-2 - 281m

2017: Geostorm - 187m

But its reversing..

2022 - Moonfall 48m

2024 - Twisters - 88m

Disaster is back 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Lory88 said:

Bill Paxton and Elen Hunt? Are you serious?

That film was sold abroad with Steven Spielberg and Michael Crichton at the height of their fame and success. I was there, no one went to see Twister for its actors.

Yeah you're right, unless that Cow is credited as an actor

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Kon said:

To be fair, Alien could have horror elements, but it tends to be considered Action movie. This could affect the number of female audience it could attract.

Do you know how big the female audience was for previous Alien movies?

Prometheus (from BoM)

The audience was 57 percent male and 64 percent 25 year of age and older. 3D accounted for 54 percent of ticket sales, while IMAX contributed 18 percent (nearly all of which is included within that 3D figure).

Alien Covenant (Mojo)

As for the demographics, opening day audiences gave Alien: Covenant a "B" CinemaScore. Of that audience, 62% were male vs. 38% female, of which 66% were 25 years or older and 51% of the audience was Caucasian, 19% Hispanic, 15% African American and 9% Asian.

reposting Romulus (Deadline) to save people a click.

PLF and Imax are accounting for 52% of ticket sales so far for an audience that’s very dude at 70% male, 25-34 being the biggest demo at 33% with 18-34 attending at 60%. Diversity mix is 43% Caucasian, 26% Latino and Hispanic, 14% Black, 12% Asian and 6% NatAm/Other. Alien: Romulus is playing the best in the West, Mountain and South Central with the AMC Lincoln Square the highest grossing venue stateside with close to $70K so far.