Eric Quinn

Joker: Folie a Deux (2024) Spoiler Thread

Joker: Folie a Deux (2024)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

Beyond all the other problems this movie has that have been touched on, there's zero real worldbuilding in this one. I didn't particularly like the first Joker, but at least it built a Gotham City with politics and with a specific viewpoint based around early 1980s New York. Everything about the movie flowed through that setting. There's nothing like that in here at all.

Also, part of what made the first one interesting, at least to the degree it was interesting, was trying to recontextualize some of the Batman characters, setting, and canon. I legitimately forgot this movie takes place in the Batman universe, even with Harley and Harvey Dent in it. 

Edited by Cmasterclay

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Beyond all the other problems this movie has that have been touched on, there's zero real worldbuilding in this one. I didn't particularly like the first Joker, but at least it built a Gotham City with politics and with a specific viewpoint based around early 1980s New York. Everything about the movie flowed through that setting. There's nothing like that in here at all.

Also, part of what made the first one interesting, at least to the degree it was interesting, was trying to recontextualize some of the Batman characters, setting, and canon. I legitimately forgot this movie takes place in the Batman universe, even with Harley and Harvey Dent in it. 

There's moments where it somewhat tries to depict a drab Rikers-inspired Arkham, but it's only in flashes and one big event near the end (Brendan Gleeson apparently chokeholding the doofy fanboy inmate to death) ends up passing by and coming to nothing (you can argue that it's the straw that breaks the camel's back in terms of Arthur forsaking the Joker persona but we barely had any interactions with the kid so it doesn't land)

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Haven’t seen this yet but the ending seems…expected? It’s obvious that Arthur Fleck couldn’t be the Joker Batman faces off with due to his age and his Bruce Wayne is a little kid. Making him the inspiration for the “real” Joker makes sense and kind of expected.