ZeeSoh

Joker: Folie à Deux Weekend Thread

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, so much for all the "September and October will be way better than last year" discourse. September was, but not insanely so, and October won't be. This won't even do Exorcist Believer numbers, much less Eras Tour or Five Nights At Freddy.

Eh, no one saw this massive bomb coming. At worst I thought it would underperform and do 100m DOM total, at worst… this is even worse than that. This is even worse than the worst case scenario. 

Fingers crossed Smile 2 and Venom 3 pick up the slack. November should be good regardless tbh. 3 massive films in the same month should do something for the box office, even if they underperform. 

• Like 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

I wonder what the lowest Avengers could go.

I imagine Kang Dynasty would have still done $1B. Do think a lot of the current mess the MCU is in, wouldn't have happened if they did a lower stake Avengers prior to the Doom duo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Superman definitely  has an uphill battle. We just had a sequel to a billion dollar film with actual stars in it bomb, who knows how a reboot with a bunch of TV actors  and sandwiched between two likely more appealing blockbusters. 

Jurassic World and ???

I know you’re not talking about F4? lol that series has never set the box office on fire and Superman has always outgrossed that franchise 

23 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

Eh, no one saw this massive bomb coming. At worst I thought it would underperform and do 100m DOM total, at worst… this is even worse than that. This is even worse than the worst case scenario. 

Fingers crossed Smile 2 and Venom 3 pick up the slack. November should be good regardless tbh. 3 massive films in the same month should do something for the box office, even if they underperform. 

I am optimistic about November given that I am relatively high on Wicked/Gladiator and very high on Moana. The numbers aren't quite indicating a Smile or Venom breakout to save this month, though. Shawn dropped them in tracking, along with Saturday Night and Terrifier.

3 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Jurassic World and ???

I know you’re not talking about F4? lol that series has never set the box office on fire and Superman has always outgrossed that franchise 

Superman Returns (2006) only outgrossed Fantastic Four (2005) by $60M worldwide, and that was prior to the MCU. I'm not saying Superman won't make more, but it would not be at all surprising if F4 beat it.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

For those who demand risk taking from Hollywood you guys should fully support James Gunn.

His slate for DCU sounds risky as hell.

Swamp Thing even being on the slate is crazy to me lol. Not negative crazy, just really surprising. Half of the slate reads to me like just using the concept of a cinematic universe to just put out some weirder projects. I do hope it works out if only because it would be sad to see yet another failed attempt. And because the more movies coming out that aren't tanking, the better. In general, not just over there. We'll see as we go along how it's going. 

• Like 2

Regarding the Superman discourse, one thing that could be in favor is the hope of Disney giving the Fantastic Four date to Lilo & Stitch so it would have "only" one direct competition and no longer in a sandwich. Idk how likely is it but who knows 🤷

Overall, what's happening with Joker this weekend has lowered my expectations for the DCU but I still think Superman won't flop, probably around $500M-$600M WW. The rest of the slate is the big question because You need more than a very good Superman movie for the GA to care about something like The Authority. 

Edited by Mickiland16

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I am optimistic about November given that I am relatively high on Wicked/Gladiator and very high on Moana. The numbers aren't quite indicating a Smile or Venom breakout to save this month, though. Shawn dropped them in tracking, along with Saturday Night and Terrifier.

there was no reason for venom to have ever been that high

similar argument could have been made for Saturday night 

47 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

You're an adult, so act like one. 

I see that all the time

don't think I saw any mention of any age requirements for the site when I first signed up in 2017

I wanna add a question mark somewhere in there so it doesn't seem like a complaint, I'm mostly just curious 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, XXRDJisDoctorDoom said:

Superman Returns (2006) only outgrossed Fantastic Four (2005) by $60M worldwide, and that was prior to the MCU. I'm not saying Superman won't make more, but it would not be at all surprising if F4 beat it.

I think there's a difference in saying it might beat it and saying that on its face Fantastic Four is more appealing and Superman is doomed. I also think the reverse is true, just because Superman made slightly more before doesn't mean it will now. We don't know anything about either of these movies, they're not out yet. They're both new versions of well known and popular pre-existing IP with very rocky cinematic histories. It's honestly very silly to be making statements in any direction about a movie having an uphill climb against whatever other movie. Everyone just needs to stop, can we at least wait for real marketing material. 

Jurassic World is a different beast (haha). Long cinematic history of shaky films still making lots of money because audiences want to see dinosaurs. Not a movie in X universe that's unrelated making X amount of money, just the Jurassic Park movies. I understand the sentiment that this might be problem for either or both films but it also doesn't mean the movie is doomed to failure either. Which many have been saying on here that it is. It's very negative sentiment and honestly exhausting to have to read over and over again for really no reason at all. Many people have nothing new to add beyond smug statements making fun of people or gloom about it sadly being doomed to failure. What's the point? 

Edited by wattage
typo

24 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

For those who demand risk taking from Hollywood you guys should fully support James Gunn.

His slate for DCU sounds risky as hell.

It's kinda sad to me that they didn't use this as an opportunity to finally give Green Lantern what he deserves (a good movie in theatres)😞. Like I get if they thought that it was too soon to recast Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash, but there's another classic Justice League member you know...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

CBMs no longer have a floor.  A month ago, many would have said the floor for Joker 2 was $500M WW. 

If Superman doesn't resonate with the GA and hardcore fans, it could easily go under $250M WW when factoring in brand damage and stiff competition. 

Only upcoming CBM that will have somewhat of a floor are the Avengers films because they will naturally open big. 

Spider-Man 4 and Beyond the Spider-Verse are also collapse proof imo. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

It's kinda sad to me that they didn't use this as an opportunity to finally give Green Lantern what he deserves (a good movie in theatres)😞. Like I get if they thought that it was too soon to recast Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash, but there's another classic Justice League member you know...

That movie banished him to the TV realm beyond being in a team up movie if they even manage to get there. Sorry to the fans, but if the show is good maybe he'll be unbanished? More than the Flash will be getting so keep hope alive. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Jane is so funny lol (and they’re right). And I Saw The TV Glow is pretty good as well, good artist.

For anyone who's never seen/heard of Cop Rock:

Steven Bochco is mostly remembered for his successes in TV before and after: NYPD Blue, LA Law, Hill Street Blues, Doogie Howser. Cop Rock, unsurprisingly, was not one of them (canceled after 11 episodes which was basically half a season in 1990).

Fun fact, Cop Rock reportedly cost about $2 million per episode, so $22 million for nearly a dozen 40+ minute episodes of singing cops, criminals, juries, etc. With inflation, that's $53 million in today's money (or about a fourth of Joker 2's budget).

• Like 3